VLC for iOS is a port of the free VLC media player to iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.\nIt can play all your movies, shows and music in most formats directly without conversion.
It allows file synchronization with Dropbox, GDrive, OneDrive, Box, iCloud Drive, iTunes, direct downloads and through WiFi sharing as well as streaming from SMB, FTP, UPnP/DLNA media servers and the web.
VLC offers support for advanced subtitles including full SSA compatibility, multi-track audio, and playback speed control.
VLC for iOS is completely free and open source.
· Fix media title display
· Fix Box session storage
Ratings and Reviews
Dig the update (now), but . . .
. . . not diggin’ the small thumbnail view of the playlists’ videos page. Personally, I’d love for:
- a similar (larger thumbnail) view of the playlist(s) videos page, similar to the “Video” page. Real estate is valuable on handheld devices, and making the thumbnails smaller makes one work harder when seemingly unnecessary. At least provide an option to switch between views. From a UX vantage point, it’s unnecessarily jarring, rather than having the user easily familiarize themselves with the updated interface/aesthetic. I can appreciate more priority given to the text/text size, but still . . .
- the “Sort by” functionality should really retain the modified setting from use to use. Needless to say, it’s frustrating having to set it in each instance. Not sure if this is the intended functionality, but not a fan . . .
- an icon change to the “Rename” pencil icon. I clicked on the pencil assuming it was some sort of weird “edit” functionality to the video itself, only to learn that it was for file renaming—which I’m very glad is there—but which I found initially confusing. My (unsolicited) suggestion would be for something like an “A” . . . which would more easily denote that it’s something text-related . . . like “Rename”. Just sayin . . .
Otherwise, love the app, and keep up the great work!
s | m
Developer Response ,
Thanks a lot for your detailed and helpful feedback. We definitely consider it for subsequent releases of the app.
Version 3.2.0 ruined it
Update: my previous issue was resolved, but unfortunately, I really REALLY wish I could revert back to before I updated to this latest version (3.2.0). Now, TV shows are no longer grouped together, and my video tab just looks like a huge mess! It seems like in this update you spent too much time focusing on how the music part works, especially for a VIDEO player. I never really understood why there was a music option anyway to be honest. I don't like the new playlist system because as someone else said, the main screen is still wicked cluttered. Also, when I tried to just put a tv show into its own playlist, they are all kinds of out of order and no way to organize them. BOO. This does not feel like an update, but a way to turn the video player into a music player. So now I have no way to get files off the main screen, no way to group episodes of a tv show together, and I have to hunt and hunt through all these video files to find what I'm looking for, but boy...that empty music section sure looks fancy.
Now the app no longer responds to my touch. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but to no avail. I don't know how to use an app on a touch device that doesn't respond to touch. It is useless now. Too bad because it was the reigning champ of video players for so long...
Worst Update Ever
This has got to be the worst update for an app that I have ever seen.
1) when I scroll to select a video and click on the weird little icon in the top right (that looks like I’m about to write a note - which I had to figure out by trial and error) all of my videos jump around, the pictures become smaller (and harder to see) and I have to scroll around again to find the one that I want to delete. I hate doing it every time.
2) with the old version, in my main view, all of my titles that were from the same series were automatically grouped and the ones that weren’t were there right beside the ‘video groups’ It was very intuitive. I could see all of my groups and all of my single titles in one group. Now, with the update, I have to choose between seeing the groups (which don’t have my individual titles) or seeing every single episode of every show that I have and scroll around like crazy to find the ones that I want. There should be a view (like in the old version) where I can see my groups and my single titles in one view. This way is awful and makes it take extra long to find the show I want to watch.
In all, there are no improvements in this new version and I wish that I could go back to the old version. Also, I don’t normally write reviews, but this one is just so bad that I had to. I hope these things get fixed quickly, or you can be sure that I am already looking to another app to play all my videos.
- 169.3 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Belarusian, Bosnian, Breton, Cambodian, Catalan, Corsican, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Faeroese, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Malay, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Sardinian, Simplified Chinese, Singhalese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © VideoLAN and authors
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.