VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player.
It can play all your movies, shows and music in most formats directly without conversion.
It allows file synchronization with Dropbox, GDrive, OneDrive, Box, iCloud Drive, iTunes, direct downloads and through Wi-Fi sharing as well as streaming from SMB, FTP, SFTP, NFS, UPnP/DLNA media servers and the web.
VLC offers support for advanced subtitles including full SSA compatibility, multi-track audio, playback speed control and rendering through Chromecast.
VLC is completely free and open source.
· layout improvements for playback subpanels
· stability and speed improvements
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve been using this app for years, but the new update and UI kind of broke it for me
This app has been my go to video player for years, but the new update introduced variable jump duration. I get the purpose of variable jump duration, but for shorter videos that are half an hour skipping ahead 90 ish seconds will cause me to miss too much of what I’m watching. I liked the previous skipping gesture that only skipped 30 seconds forward and then you could skip 10 seconds backward if you missed anything. If I don’t have the variable jump duration skipping forward at 10 second intervals seems unbearably long. Perhaps in a future revision provide a drop down box that allows us to choose between jumping forward 10s, 30s, 60s, and variable jump duration as the last option to provide more flexibility to users. Other than that the revision looks very nice. Hopefully y’all can add these features in the next update.
V3.3 is amazing! + Some feedback
Awesome new interface, but best is the speed improvements while playing video from accessing the network. It used to take between 10-20seconds to start a video file on a network drive and scrubbing/skipping forward or backward had noticeable latency - now that’s all gone, everything is near instantaneous! Scrubbing is amazing to find a specific point in a video quickly! Great update and work!
Some feedback for future improvements:
- if you have password lock on for opening VLC, it feels like content should pause or stop playing if it’s locked. For example minimizing the app locks it, but content keeps playing in the background. If you try open open up the app again, password is requested but audio content is still playing. Feels like password protect is leaving a small loophole in its privacy.
- when playing media back in shuffle mode, pressing back used to (a few versions ago) take you to the last video you watched but it now just goes to the video before it when sorted by file name. It feels like a good use-case to cache what was watched so that you can rewatch one quickly if you wanted by pressing back once or multiples times to go back multiple videos.
- it would be nice to have more configurable playback controls with gestures. Instead of just turning them on and off, be able to assign what gestures do. For instance, If I want swiping up to jump forward 1 min instead of increasing volume
EDIT: It actually still has looping. -Why remove looping?-
More fiddling with the app revealed that the button for looping only appears in the video controls when the player is in horizontal orientation, not vertical. Presumably this is because there is more room to fit buttons in the bottom of the screen there than in vertical orientation. Shame that it got somewhat "buried" so me and at least one other reviewer I saw thought it was removed and shot off inaccurate reviews.
Anyway, here is your full, very well deserved, five stars. May this app remain as fine or better for many years to come.
IGNORE AFTER THIS POINT; NOT CORRECT: -I used the video looping feature often, both on single videos and playlists, so the choice to remove such a useful feature that has been in this app for as long as I've had it is disappointing. If the looping feature was left in, this update would have gotten a full five stars from me, not four.-
Developer Response ,
Thanks a lot for updating your review - we are happy that you found those buttons. We will try to make this better in Portrait mode (aka show them at all..).
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 193.5 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Apple TV
- Requires tvOS 11.0 or later.
English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Belarusian, Bosnian, Breton, Cambodian, Catalan, Corsican, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Faeroese, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Malay, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Sardinian, Simplified Chinese, Singhalese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © VideoLAN and authors
- In-App Purchases
- Micro Tip $0.99
- Small Tip $2.99
- Large Tip $9.99
- Medium Tip $4.99
- Huge Tip $14.99