VLC media player 4+
- Offers In-App Purchases
VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player.
It can play all your movies, shows and music in most formats directly without conversion.
It allows file synchronization with Dropbox, GDrive, OneDrive, Box, iCloud Drive, iTunes, direct downloads and through Wi-Fi sharing as well as streaming from SMB, FTP, SFTP, NFS, UPnP/DLNA media servers and the web.
VLC offers support for advanced subtitles including full SSA compatibility, multi-track audio, playback speed control and rendering through Chromecast.
VLC is completely free and open source.
· Fix playback of certain network streams
· Stability improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Feedback on FaceID
I would appreciate if you could fix the bug that causes the FaceID to appear inconsistently when I want to unlock the VLC app. FaceID works if you relaunch the app after closing it.
I have been using VLC player for a very long time and love its flexibility in customising the hot keys to my suit. When the VLC player for iPadOS was updated, I was surprised to see the playback speed control icon (my favourite feature) removed from the viewing screen and buried in the submenu within the settings. It is very disappointing because I use this feature a lot in adjusting the playback speed between 2x and 4x on the fly while screening the videos. Under the new UX/UI design, I would have to stop the video then access the playback speed under settings to adjust. Please bring the icon back to the viewing screen! Thanks!
Developer Response ,
We will take a look at that Face ID problem.
For playback speed, see the triple dot button during playback. The feature is still there!
V3.3 is amazing! + Some feedback
Awesome new interface, but best is the speed improvements while playing video from accessing the network. It used to take between 10-20seconds to start a video file on a network drive and scrubbing/skipping forward or backward had noticeable latency - now that’s all gone, everything is near instantaneous! Scrubbing is amazing to find a specific point in a video quickly! Great update and work!
Some feedback for future improvements:
- if you have password lock on for opening VLC, it feels like content should pause or stop playing if it’s locked. For example minimizing the app locks it, but content keeps playing in the background. If you try open open up the app again, password is requested but audio content is still playing. Feels like password protect is leaving a small loophole in its privacy.
- when playing media back in shuffle mode, pressing back used to (a few versions ago) take you to the last video you watched but it now just goes to the video before it when sorted by file name. It feels like a good use-case to cache what was watched so that you can rewatch one quickly if you wanted by pressing back once or multiples times to go back multiple videos.
- it would be nice to have more configurable playback controls with gestures. Instead of just turning them on and off, be able to assign what gestures do. For instance, If I want swiping up to jump forward 1 min instead of increasing volume
Still has bugs and needs Picture in Picture
Although the app has been my go to for years it still has issues plaguing it from the redesign. Under the network tab when downloading from a media server there are issues regarding the reliability of videos downloading as well as some files become hidden after downloading. First issue is that when pressing the download button for multiple videos in a row some of the videos are not queued properly for download and are skipped over leading to them not appearing within the VLC library. Another bug is that some files are hidden. Even upon a rescan on the library they do not appear. However, removing them from the VLC folder and then putting it back in using apples files app will lead to the file being visible within the app. When downloading a file for a second time from a media server/NAS and the file did not appear the first time the app will produce a second file ending in an underscore and then a subsequent number (e.g. Captain America_1). Finally, in terms of features it would be nice to have Picture in Picture video so that users can multitask.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 195 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Apple TV
- Requires tvOS 11.0 or later.
English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Belarusian, Bosnian, Breton, Cambodian, Catalan, Corsican, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Faeroese, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Malay, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Sardinian, Simplified Chinese, Singhalese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © VideoLAN and authors
- In-App Purchases
- Medium Tip $4.99
- Micro Tip $0.99
- Small Tip $2.99
- Large Tip $9.99
- Huge Tip $14.99