Build your vocabulary with Magoosh's free vocabulary game for your iOS device. Quiz yourself every day to learn the 1200 most important words!
• 1200 vocab words picked by an expert tutor
• Definitions and example sentences for every word
• Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced vocabulary sections
• Beat levels to unlock new words
• Track your progress as you study
This app gives you free access to all of Magoosh’s general, GRE, SAT, and TOEFL vocab quizzes. Sign in with a Magoosh account (or create a new one) to save your progress to the web. You can continue your practice online at http://gre.magoosh.com/builder/vocabulary
Created by experts
The entire wordlist is selected and defined with usage examples by Magoosh’s expert tutors, led by Chris Lele. He has been teaching the GRE for more than 10 years, runs a popular vocabulary series on YouTube and he’s also written an eBook on vocabulary. He is unbeatable in Scrabble, or any other word game for that matter.
Designed for fun and learning that really sticks
Each level you beat unlocks a harder one: more words and more advanced vocabulary. Words you don't know will be repeated until you master them, using spaced repetition which has been shown to be a very effective memorization strategy.
We're an online test prep company with a focus on teaching the GRE, GMAT, SAT, and TOEFL through videos and personalized customer support.
In addition to our online course, we blog about words, roots, formulas, grammar, problem solving, quantitative reasoning, and reading comprehension along with study guides and study tips. Articles from the blog have been compiled into 3 separate free ebooks with over 6,000 downloads. Check it out at http://magoosh.com/
More study tools
Search the app store for "magoosh" to continue your prep. Learn all the math, verbal, and writing you need to know for the test!
Have any questions? Please ask!
Customer satisfaction is incredibly important to us. If you have any questions or comments, please send us an email at email@example.com or call 1-855-MAGOOSH and we’ll get back to you as quickly as we can. If you’re outside the US, you can also reach us at +1-510-214-0212
“I didn’t have much time to prepare for the GRE, and Magoosh made it possible for me to succeed on the test in a short period of time. I looked at Kaplan GRE, Barron’s, and Princeton Review products, and I can confidently say that Magoosh was definitely the best.”
“The team is really great and actually cares about your score as much as they would care about their own. Simply the best.”
Minor bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Fun game that helps you stay sharp
This game is for anyone who likes to play word games but there’s a twist. It challenges your memory, keeps your vocabulary skills on point and helps you build one of the most important muscles of all - your brain! As we age we lose some of that speed with which we answer questions. We know the correct meaning of a word but sometimes we don’t take the time to read carefully and see how it’s being used. The multi levels help you to work your way up to the more difficult levels. If you play with someone you can compare answers and discuss why you chose the option you did. This game’s repetitive questions helps you to remember answers and the correct usage of words. If you have a competitive nature you will find yourself determined to find ways to stimulate your memory to make sure you don’t get it wrong again. Lots of fun and a great way to retain your vocabulary.
Developer Response ,
Hi jeanannf - thanks for the review! We're really glad to hear that you're keeping your vocab skills on point with our app. If you have any ideas or feedback, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Great content, the worst user experience
I love Magoosh, it’s a great team with a lot of amazing material and best exam preparation sources. It has great content and I really enjoy its website . However, it has the worst Flashcards apps I have ever used. Both toefl and gre vocabulary Flashcards apps are disasters. Here are some reasons:
1. No back button: sometimes you tap ‘I knew this word’ or ‘I didn’t know this word’ unintentionally and since there is no return button you have to wait until you see that word again (if you tap ‘I knew this word’ by mistake you have to wait a a lot because that goes to the end of the list.
2. No word list: the best way to learn vocabulary is of course using Flashcards and not wordlists. However there are times when you need to have an overall view of all the words you have mastered, for example before an exam, to see if you have forgotten any of them. So a feature of wordlist is essential.
3. Stupid random words: the words don’t have a proper algorithm to be shown. When you don’t know a word and you tap on ‘I didn’t know this word’ after 1 additional Flashcards the app shows you the same word and then 1 additional word and then the same word until that word gets green. If you learn a word just now it must be some delay until the app shows you the word again. But the current algorithm causes the word to be green very soon and you don’t see the word again until you master all the words of the deck so that you can review green words.
Developer Response ,
Hey Pouyabh, thanks so much for this detailed feedback. It seems like your ideas are for our flashcards apps (not this Vocabulary Builder app) -- regardless, we'll be sure to mark these suggestions as possible features for future updates. If you have any additional ideas, please let us know at email@example.com!
I’m currently enrolled in college classes during my high school year, and the essay standards get higher and higher every year for college classes and even high school classes. This app without a doubt has helped me achieve a new foundation of vocabulary that makes my essays stand out from my classmates. I already went into the app thinking I had an outstanding vocabulary, but when I started the medium/easy vocabulary introduction I was amazed, for I had never seen around seventy percent of the words provided in the application. This application deserves 5 stars, the process in which you learn the vocabulary is the same premises as the quizlet learning program. Very effective.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- 15 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2019 Magoosh