With its uniquely effective word learning system, the Vocabulary.com app helps you master words through a fun and addictive game. And it’s powered by the world's smartest, fastest dictionary. From the makers of the award-winning Vocabulary.com website, this app will expand your vocabulary with lightning speed!
“A positively addictive app for aspiring wordsmiths.” —Fast Company
“Vocabulary.com reveals the truth about your vocabulary skills and helps you improve.” —AppAdvice
“An addictive word-learning app... an approachable dictionary and quiz machine.” —TIME
* Featured in Best New Apps for Reference
IT’S A SCIENCE...
Vocabulary.com is a comprehensive program for lifelong learning of vocabulary, in which each activity is specially chosen for you.
• We use sophisticated algorithms to help you learn more effectively.
• We start with 235,858 questions that teach 15,914 words.
• We use the science of learning to model how you learn (and retain) new words.
• By comparing your answers to the hundreds of millions of answers given by other Vocabulary.com users, we personalize your learning experience and choose the best question for you at just the right time.
...AND IT’S A GAME
We’ve turned learning vocabulary into an addictive game. You may not even notice that you’re learning along the way.
• Accumulate points, achievements and badges.
• Compete with Vocabulary.com users from throughout the world.
Studying for an exam like the SAT, GRE, or TOEFL? We have learnable lists for you, covering everything from standardized tests to breaking news — you name it.
• Choose from one of our 50,000 ready-to-learn lists.
• Or if you see a word in the dictionary that you want to learn, just click "learn this word" and we'll teach it to you.
...OR WE CHOOSE
Don't have a specific word or list in mind? Let our adaptive learning system find the right word for you.
• Just play a few questions, and we'll pinpoint the words that are appropriate for your level.
• We won't waste your time on words that are too easy or too hard.
Like a good coach, Vocabulary.com won’t give up on you. Whether you pick the words or let us find them for you, we’ll work with you until you've mastered them.
And even after you've achieved mastery, we'll continue to reinforce what you have learned to make sure that it all stays fresh in your memory. Next thing you know, you’ll be expanding your vocabulary and improving your communication, a key to success in school and business.
FINALLY, A DICTIONARY WITH A SOUL
Our dictionary was written for humans, by humans. Look up a word, and you’ll read a friendly explanation that you'll actually remember. It’s as if your favorite teacher were explaining it to you.
We include clever usage tips and thousands of real-world example sentences that'll show you how words live in the wild and will make you more confident about using them yourself.
See a word you’d like to know better? Tap "Learn this Word" and easily add it to your learning program.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
"Vocabulary.com is among the quickest, and most intelligent ways for students to improve their vocabulary. Regardless of education level or age, Vocabulary.com will help master the words that are essential to academic and business success." —National Education Association
“Educators who are familiar with Vocabulary.com are impressed by the technology. It is a sign, they say, that real progress is finally being made in computer-assisted education.” —The New York Times
“Vocabulary.com could actually make speaking well cool again.” —TIME
“Vocabulary.com boasts a Web-based dashboard bristling with points, levels, progress bars and achievement bonuses, among other attractions.” —USA Today
HONORS AND AWARDS
• TIME’s 50 Best Websites of the Year
• PC Magazine's Top 100 Websites of the Year
• Tech & Learning Award of Excellence
• Webby Awards: Official Honoree in Education
Minor bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Can't even sign up for this app.
UPDATE: apparently there was a technical problem on the website itself, which directly affected the app as well. It was solved within hours and I've received an email with explanation why there were problems at first place.
Now, I was expecting to see the app that already has a set of vocab lists to prepare for GRE (the are a few GRE lists there but they only have 30words). I personally find it more productive to learn by choosing the right answer for the words I'm learning. I gave the four starts just because among a huge variety of different lists of words that have been derived from different sources, you kinda have to build your own.. and it takes time to do so... other than that it's a pretty useful app that provides a great description for each word you are currently learning. Oh and the feature of simply clicking on some words that look unfamiliar and finding their full description, that pretty awesome! And that's the way you build your own list of words.. if only it was all prepared specifically for GRE.
mediocre 4 stars max
I would and wouldn't recommend. If your school uses it then that is fine but if you are using just to learn vocab words and your school doesn't use it I WOULDN'T recommend. Here is why. I use it for school and my teacher assigns lists so it is easier to learn the coach words by this because we take tests on here to so it is just easier. BUT if you are using it to search up definitions and attempt to make a list for let's say the list of words your teacher gave you, then it starts adding words that they think you wouldn't know. For example, we are reading A Raisin in The Sun by Lorraine Hansberry and we have a 35-word list for act one. I am getting words like canon pop up on the learning queue and that is not a word on the original list. I wanted to know one so u read the progress on that word and it said that it added it because it thought I wouldn't know it. That could be nice if your goal is to expand your vocab but if you are learning a specific list it gets annoying quickly. Once again, I would rate it 4 stars max.
I'm gonna write a 'terse' review here. I just downloaded the app and played with it for a about three days. Some things that would make it better for my personal use.
1. I like to learn in parts. I can study one part, or list, In the case of this app; Leadership is the first list that I want to practice and focus on for about a week or two; Then I want to move on the the list, "100 words every high schooler should know" for the next couple weeks. - Can we have some sort of queue for lists we want to study at a later time?
2. Option to get daily or weekly push notifications for a word of the day or week. Apple Watch compatibility here would be nice as well. Just a quick read if you're committed to this sort of learning.
3. Complete dictionary and functionality of this app in offline mode. That means everything is stored on the phone and obviously no connection needed to use app.
(I would pay extra for this feature !!)
This is what I would like to see in future updates. This app is a easy and efficient way to expand your vocabulary. I use this app for 15 minutes everyday during my first break at work. The repetitiveness and game like aspect of this dictionary is great for learning new words and how to use them. I use it as much as I use duolingo so if you like that, then you'll love this app. It will make you a better speaker over the long haul if you commit to it.
Not too "terse" after all.. but reasonable. 😄
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Thinkmap, Inc.
- 29.4 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2014 Thinkmap, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.