Text to Speech TTS Voice Dream 4+
Natural Reader Audiobooks
Voice Dream LLC
- Offers In-App Purchases
2021 Apple Design Award Winner! Voice Dream Reader lets you listen to PDFs, Web pages, and books using text-to-speech. Featured by Apple as Best New App and App of the Day in 81 countries and part of App Store Permanent Collections in Education.
“Both experts recommend Voice Dream Reader as the best app in the text-to-speech space.” - Wired
“This app is one of the best educational finds of my entire career.” - Forbes
“As a user myself and as a mother of a child with dyslexia, I am blown away by the features of Voice Dream.” - Quartz
“Voice Dream Reader is hailed by many as the best mobile text-to-speech (TTS) app.” - Examiner
- One premium Acapela voice of your choice free with the purchase of the app.
- 36 built-in iOS voices in 27 languages are also available for free.
- 200+ additional premium voices in 30 languages from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona available through in-app purchases.
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary.
- All voices work offline and play in the background even with the screen locked.
Supported Document Formats
- PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, and Google Docs.
- Web articles.
- Bookshare Books.
- EPUB eBooks. (DRM-free books only. Kindle, iBooks and most commercial eBook platforms are not supported.)
- DAISY text-based books and audiobook.
- Audiobooks in MP3, MP4 or zipped MP3 format.
- Rich text and image support for all documents.
- Scan paper documents with the camera for text-to-speech.
- State-of-the-art A.I. is fast and accurate, even in poor lighting conditions.
- Works entirely on device: No need for internet and your data stays private.
- Only languages using Latin alphabets are currently supported.
- Tee-up a list of articles and play while you drive, walk or run.
- Spoken word is highlighted to improve comprehension and retention.
- Auto-scrolling and full screen, distraction-free mode to help reader focus.
- Finger reading. For beginners to read by at running a finger under each word.
- Pac-Man. Harvard and MIT developed speed-reading method for everyone to read at 2x speed with no loss of comprehension.
- High contrast and large font size for low vision readers.
- Optimized for VoiceOver, Braille and switch control.
- Recognize text for scanned PDF documents.
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and annotation. Highlights and notes can be exported.
- Full-text search.
- Built-in dictionary.
- Automatically skip text in PDF header and footer.
- Native support for Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote.
- Native access to Bookshare.
- Safari extension to save Web pages and Web addresses.
- Support for Box and OneDrive via iOS Document Picker.
- Your entire library, including folders, reading locations, bookmarks and annotations are synchronized across all your devices using iCloud Drive
+ Bug fixes and performance enhancements
Ratings and Reviews
Kids aren’t the only ones who like being read to. Whether you’re listening to a story on your commute or you’d like to hear your big work presentation read back to you, Voice Dream Reader can helpfully turn text into speech.
Long overdue review
I purchased this app several years ago. Since I purchased it I have used it to “read” hundreds of books and articles. Most of the material I have “read” with this app is not available as a professionally narrated audio and never will be. This includes many obscure religious and medical texts and manuscripts — more than I can count. I am constantly on the go and almost never have time to sit down and read a printed or digital book. Yet, with this app I have been able to get through many thousands of pages of material that never would have been possible otherwise. I listen nearly every day while I drive, walk, jog and sometimes while I work. Although the app is not perfect (pronunciation is sometimes incorrect) it is good enough for me to understand. I appreciate that the developer has continued to improve the product. For example, in the last year I discovered I can use it to listen to podcasts and even videos that I download for offline use. I would be ungrateful not to leave a 5 star review, because without exaggerating I can say that this has changed my life. I now have a steady stream of valuable information flowing to my mind. This is information that was simply out of reach to me before — mainly due to constraints on my time. This has helped me immensely with preparing to teach classes and in my medical career.
If I could, I would just sit around reading book after book, day after day. Unfortunately, the real world doesn’t work that way. Voice Dream Reader is a GODSEND for those of us that love books but don’t have the time to sit down and read them. I’m into a lot of indie authors, and while more and more are choosing narration, there will always be books that don’t make it that far. Frankly, after finding this app, I care less about whether or not books make it to audio format at all. I’m able to convert all my Kindle books into the right format to upload to Voice Dream Reader and go! Needless to say, my library is huge and VDR handles it like a pro. I thought I might be bothered by the monotone computer voice, but I find that I completely tune it out and focus on the story at hand. Now, what would I improve? More voices to purchase! “James” is my go-to most of the time, but I would love a larger variety than what is available. Also, if I try to listen to my Reading List through my Apple Watch, I can’t use any of my purchased voices at all. I’m still giving this app five stars because I’ve yet to come across something better and it’s by far one of my best app purchases ever. Keep up the good work!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Voice Dream LLC
- 224.8 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2023 Voice Dream LLC
- In-App Purchases
- James (NeoSpeech US English Voice) $4.99
- Paul (NeoSpeech US English Voice) $4.99
- Salli (Ivona US English Voice) $4.99
- Annual Subscription $79.99
- Hugh (NeoSpeech US English Voice) $4.99
- Will (Acapela US English Voice) $4.99
- Annual Subscription $99.99
- Amy (Ivona British English Voice) $4.99
- Julie (NeoSpeech US English) $4.99
- Kate (NeoSpeech US English Voice) $4.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.