Featured by Apple as Best New App and App of the Day in 81 countries including the United States and part of App Store Permanent Collections in Education.
“This app is one of the best educational finds of my entire career.” - Forbes
“As a user myself and as a mother of a child with dyslexia, I am blown away by the features of Voice Dream.” - Quartz
“Voice Dream Reader is hailed by many as the best mobile text-to-speech (TTS) app.” - Examiner
Supported Document Formats
- PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, and Google Docs.
- Web articles.
- EPUB eBooks. (DRM-free books only. Kindle, iBooks and most commercial eBook platforms are not supported.)
- Bookshare Books.
- DAISY text-based books and audiobook.
- Audiobooks in MP3, MP4 or zipped MP3 format.
- Rich text and image support for all documents.
- One premium Acapela voice of your choice free with the purchase of the app.
- 36 built-in iOS voices in 27 languages are also available for free.
- 200+ additional premium voices in 30 languages from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona available through in-app purchases.
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary.
- All voices work offline and play in the background even with the screen locked.
- Tee-up a list of articles and play while you drive, walk or run.
- Spoken word is highlighted to improve comprehension and retention.
- Auto-scrolling and full screen, distraction-free mode to help reader focus.
- Finger reading. For beginners to read by at running a finger under each word.
- Pac-Man. Harvard and MIT developed speed-reading method for everyone to read at 2x speed with no loss of comprehension.
- High contrast and large font size for low vision readers.
- Optimized for VoiceOver, Braille and switch control.
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and annotation. Highlights and notes can be exported.
- Full-text search.
- Built-in dictionary.
- Skip text in PDF header and footer.
- Native support for Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote.
- Native access to Bookshare.
- Safari extension to save Web pages and Web addresses.
- Support for Box and OneDrive via iOS Document Picker.
- Your entire library, including folders, reading locations, bookmarks and annotations are synchronized across all your devices using iCloud Drive.
- Improved image enhancement in Scanner
- Improved memory usage in Scanner. You can now scan many more images in a single document.
- Minor bug fixes and enhancements.
Ratings and Reviews
Long overdue review
I purchased this app several years ago. Since I purchased it I have used it to “read” hundreds of books and articles. Most of the material I have “read” with this app is not available as a professionally narrated audio and never will be. This includes many obscure religious and medical texts and manuscripts — more than I can count. I am constantly on the go and almost never have time to sit down and read a printed or digital book. Yet, with this app I have been able to get through many thousands of pages of material that never would have been possible otherwise. I listen nearly every day while I drive, walk, jog and sometimes while I work. Although the app is not perfect (pronunciation is sometimes incorrect) it is good enough for me to understand. I appreciate that the developer has continued to improve the product. For example, in the last year I discovered I can use it to listen to podcasts and even videos that I download for offline use. I would be ungrateful not to leave a 5 star review, because without exaggerating I can say that this has changed my life. I now have a steady stream of valuable information flowing to my mind. This is information that was simply out of reach to me before — mainly due to constraints on my time. This has helped me immensely with preparing to teach classes and in my medical career.
Valuable Time Saver
I will type up my notes and save them as a pdf file. Then transfer the file into voice dream. This application does really well with medical terminology, which I was surprised with; however, this application struggles with numbers and abbreviations. I have adapted to not using abbreviations in my notes or I will use the replace function in Microsoft Word to find and replace any abbreviations. For numbers, you are better off spelling them out. This will make any pdf into an audiobook essentially. Just rememberer, just because you hear it doesn’t mean you learned it. you will still need to actively listen to gain something from this. I will have many pages of notes compiled to make a study guide for a test, and it would take me hours to read myself, where I can use voice dream to expedite my studies, allowing me to get more done in a short time. I really enjoy the tracker so that you can actively watch the dialogue be read.
I bought the package, and this is the only app that I use from it. I really wish that there was better tools such as highlighting and the ability to freely write on the document with the Apple Pencil. I say this because I have imported textbooks over to this application, and this would be helpful to me!
Great App, Minor Bug
The standard out of the box voice (Heather) is the most human-like I’ve ever heard. Also, the “pronunciation dictionary” feature is amazing - allows you to change how the voices pronounce certain words if you don’t like the default pronunciation. This is great for the few instances where there’s a word or acronym or name that occurs frequently in a text (reoccurring newsletter or book) that I want Voice Dream to say it differently from the default. I hope the App is taking this data that we users meticulously enter and is using it to guide future adjustments and improvements to the reading engine that the developers build.
While this app is nearly flawless in my eyes now, one annoying bug has keeps in recently: when switching into the app to a reading that has been paused, it frequently jumps to a random point in the text on the screen. If I hit play, it resumes playing at the point where I left off and a quick 2-finger tap will take me back so the right part of the text shows on the screen, but it’s annoying to have to do this when I am regularly switching between Voice Dream and another app I use to take notes on the books I read (Microsoft Word, in case that helps catch the bug!). I hope the team can hunt this one down as they have caught all the others in the past. Keep it up! :)
- Voice Dream LLC
- 220.5 MB
Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Voice Dream LLC 2019
- In-App Purchases
- James (NeoSpeech US English Voice) $4.99
- Paul (NeoSpeech US English Voice) $4.99
- Salli (Ivona US English Voice) $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.