A Mac app for using Alexa.
Control your home devices, ask general questions, add and remove items to your shopping list, set timers and more. It is an Alexa implementation. On your desktop.
There are some things you should know before getting this app:
1. Not all audio content can be supported. Amazon don't allow third-party apps such as this app to play music, audio books or some daily-news content, and make announcements;
2. The app can listen automatically on launch;
3. If the weather or time are wrong, ensure you've enabled Location access in the Alexa app to the "Voice in a Can" device, and that you have granted Location permissions to the app on your phone;
4. You don't have to say "Alexa" ... just speak your command when the app is listening;
5. You can change the language that you speak and hear responses in, under "Settings". Only languages supported by Alexa are supported. The language should be set automatically.
If you have questions or any support issues please don't hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org ... you should get a response within 24 hours, and often in minutes.
This app was not created or endorsed by Amazon. Amazon, Alexa and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
* Added support for Arabic
* Updated the app icon to me more Mac-like (thanks Eric).
* Moved to using a menu-bar app and added a "Start Listening" Shortcut.
* If the app is already running and you use a keyboard shortcut it should start listening
Please email me at email@example.com if something doesn't work as you expect and I'll do my best to help.
Ratings and Reviews
One star reviews need to chill out
I really like this app! I saw some of the negative reviews but after reading the developer’s responses I decided to try it for myself. It sounds like it’s just one person working on this and what it does is so useful. I use it to turn on my lamp mostly and it’s nice being able to ask Alexa instead of Siri on my apple device. I gave it 4 starts out of five because I believe it can be optimized a little. Also I think updating the app logo, flashing up the interface and a name change might help sell it a better. I have it on the front screen of my Apple watch and just wished it looked a little cooler. Lol. Still a really great app so keep up the awesome work :)
An Excellent App So Far
I usually don't review an app right after installing it, but this app worked perfectly right after the install. It was very easy to install and it installed fast. I'm using an Iphone Xs Max in conjunction with the Series 4 watch. There were no glitches at all. It does just what I want it to. It turns on and off my lights and it adds to and shows my shopping list plus answers questions. My goal was to not carry my phone into the store for my Alexa shopping list. It works with wi fi and cellular. So far I am very happy with it. If I encounter any issues I will report them. I am always leaving my phone behind so this feature really adds to the function of the watch. I do like it so far.
UPDATE: Used it the first time in the grocery store on my watch with the phone left in the car. I asked it to read my shopping list. It said you have 10 items on your shopping list and then showed me the list. How convenient! My watch does have cellular connection. My goal is to leave the phone behind as much as I can. I could not do that before this fantastic app because I needed the phone to read the list. I can't tell you how many times I have laid the phone down at the register only to get to the car and realized I left it behind. This app now allows me to leave the phone in the car while shopping. Thank you. It is also nice to control my thirty plus light bulbs with this app too.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. If you or anyone else discovers issues or have questions or suggestions please don't hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org ... I use my app too, and want it to work for everyone.
Hand on heart I can honestly say that Voice In A Can (VIAC) is one of the most truly useful 3rd party apps that I have installed on my Apple Watch. It works great and setup is simple. I have a lot of Alexa enabled tech and having VIAC gives me added flexibility in how I control them. One of the great advantages of VIAC is that it is not dependent upon your iPhone being nearby, working entirely from the Apple Watch. Combining the app with a Siri shortcut and the ‘Raise to Speak’ capability adds even more power to the app.
The author is very responsive to feedback and questions and should be praised for the amount of effort he has put into this offering. He has created a number of YT videos about the app and a website of FAQs. For me, the small, one-off price of the app makes it definitely one to keep and I look forward to future versions.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Atadore SARL
- 6.7 MB
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 13.0 or later.
- Apple Watch
- Requires watchOS 8.5 or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
English, Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © Atadore SARL
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.