Voice Reader Speech Central 4+
Text to audio: book, PDF, web
- Offers In-App Purchases
Feature set that exceeds the competition, no subscription for the premium tier with the free tier limited by the quantity not by the quality, that is the reason why you'll love Speech Central. Here are just some of our outstanding features:
◦ The best PDF support in text to speech apps - your reading flow will not be interrupted by footers, headers, footnotes, in text citations and long web links as they are detected by the advanced artificial intelligence in most cases. No other app has all those features. Even the scanned PDF documents are imported with titles recognised.
◦ The best web support in text to speech apps - for the first time you can listen everything as both articles and headlines (including RSS feeds) are supported. Articles can be added from the headlines page for fully uninterrupted flow or from Safari. And you can send articles from the desktop browser with the Pocket extension.
◦ The widest support for documents/office and e-book formats.
◦ Knowledge and text annotation tools built-in.
◦ Import the text from the physical books with the camera.
◦ The widest choice of options to customize the voice, appearance and various other parameters.
◦ Sync playlist items across Apple devices including with the macOS app and the current position in the text.
◦ Apple Watch app that can play the content independently of the main app.
◦ Export the text with annotations to .docx format
◦ Functions of audio buttons can be customized for high productivity and accessibility. The widest selection of tools to control the speed and browse the text that is read aloud.
◦ The app can be used with dozens of languages that have text-to-speech support on the device with automatic language detection from the content.
◦ Export the text to the audio file.
◦ The best in class accessibility. The only app that supports Dynamic Type accessibility sizes in the interface. It is completely free when used with VoiceOver and tested to be accessible by legally blind users.
◦ Your data stays truly private, we collect only analytics data with no identifiable reference to the user or imported content even when the syncing is enabled.
◦ Track the Mindfulness time in the Health app
With over 20,000 licenses sold and consistent ratings above 4 stars Speech Central is one of the leading global text-to-speech brands. It was nominated for the best iOS accessible app in 2020 and 2017 on AppleVis, the leading authority in the field of accessibility on Apple devices.
By moving your reading activities to commuting, walking, running, doing the housework or another activity you can save an hour each day. You'll also save eyes for better things while having your battery and data plan last significantly longer. Keeping the screen off grants that you won't get into the internet addiction and waste your time on unwanted things, and thus it can also help people with ADHD.
The app can be used as an assistive technology and helper for people with visual impairments (eyesight problems) and disabilities like dyslexia.
Supported document types are: PDF (including scanned documents), Microsoft Word (.docx), Microsoft PowerPoint (.pptx), OpenOffice/LibreOffice (.odt, .odp), .html, .mhtml, .webarchive, .txt, .rtf, supported ebook formats are .epub, DAISY and .fb2 and emails in .eml format.
Get the app now and enjoy the most convenient text to audio!
- The free version has a daily limitation in the number of articles that you can add to it which is removed by purchasing the Pro add-on.
- Some features are available only on the latest version of the operating system.
- The license is valid only for this operating system. Other operating systems have separate licenses.
- DRM protected books (e.g. Kindle books) are locked to their respective vendor apps and cannot be imported into the app.
- For languages other than English the support is provided using the auto-translation tools
Improved translations in some localisations
Ratings and Reviews
Perfect For Nerds Who Love Excercise
I love reading. I’ll pretty much read anything from articles to cereal boxes. I don’t know what it is, but I just love the process of gaining information anyway I can. Anyway, I also love to exercise. I go to the gym, I bike, I roller blade, I do everything short of palates.
Well, I wanted to read articles while I was biking, since audiobooks just weren’t cutting it. I found a really good article I wanted to read, that I think was about the anatomy of blue whales. Of course, you can’t read an article and bike at the same time... not safely anyway. So, I pulled up the App Store to see if their were any good text to speech apps. I went through several, before I decided on this one.
This is a very good app for me because I’m so fast paced and the read-along doesn’t go too slow. It goes at just the right pace I need to be able to listen and concentrate on the biking trail at the same time. Thank you so much for this awesome app!
I have always aspired to be a reader, but struggled to read. My work around was to use iPhone’s integrated text to speech accessibility function. What is helpful about this app is that it highlights the words as it reads so you can read along. This is similar to Microsoft’s Immersive Reader. I would suggest adding a couple features that are already integrated in Microsoft’s Immersive reader like more variety on the background colors that are easier on the eyes (Microsoft has a soft green that helps with the contrast between words).
Opportunities for improvement to the current functionalities:
1) User friendly integration of RSS feeds - the website following functionality is clunky and confusing. Look at how the RSS Reader App collects unread articles from your favorite sites and then you can click read more for the entire article. It would be niece to have that automation integrated into this app.
2) The most useful thing would be Smart scan camera integration. You can already input already scanned pdfs. But imagine being able to take a picture with your phone’s camera of a piece of physical paper for the app to be read to you. I currently use a third party scanner. But it would be nice to have it all integrated into the app.
Developer Response ,
Hi, first thank you for overall positive review. I understand that you may be a new user and still exploring the app so you will probably find more in the future, but at the moment I have to mention that stated facts aren’t correct. The app does have the dyslexic friendly font - somewhat interesting is that it is called exactly like that in the app though it is not its original name as the app tries to be user friendly. Second you can also change the background. Third, you can scan the page to read it. Finally I am not sure what would be more user friendly way to integrate rss feeds, but if you have some specific implementation on mind feel free to suggest it, I am quite open to improvements.
A useful, flexible and well maintained app
2019 Nov 28 update:
There were three updates in the last two weeks, the app no longer crashes in my use case scenario and devs even rewrote the settings screen to become part of the app instead of having it in iOS settings to apparently overcome an iOS limitation, and it no longer crashes either.
Well done. Thank you.
Newcomers - take a look at the settings screen there are a lot of tweaks you will find useful.
2019 Nov 13 original review:
Really great and useful when works, but crashes every few minutes. The application simply closes, sometimes sound disappears few second prior to that. What is good though - it remembers the last paragraph and its a matter of two taps to get it reading again - tap the app icon and tap the book (improvement suggestion - make it one tap - resume the last book when the app opens).
I use it on CarPlay with Waze running on the car screen and the app running on the phone screen, maybe it will help you debug. Please fix it so that I could justify buying Pro. One more observation - when I tap settings of Button Functions, tap on one of the buttons to see the list of options and then tap Back - I’m thrown out of the settings. The settings crash out. When I open the settings again - the changes made to settings seem to have been saved.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for updating the review!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- LABSII DOO BEOGRAD
- 60 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Apple TV
- Requires tvOS 9.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © Labsii 2014-2023
- In-App Purchases
- Speech Central Pro $8.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.