Take a picture of anything that has words on it, and Voice will read it to you! Updated with top notch technology, Voice will let you listen to all your books/words/documents/magazines in a matter of seconds.
Voice is simple. Hold it in front of a document. If it sees the page, it will tell you "4 corners detected". When you're ready, just say the word "Capture". Voice will automatically snap a picture. Then say "read," and Voice will read the words aloud to you.
People with visual impairment or dyslexia can easily snap a photo of anything and have it read in a matter of seconds. Whether it is a menu at a restaurant, a medicine label, and expiration date on a milk carton, or even an information board at a museum.
Foreign exchange students can read and listen to an english book at the same time using this app. Thus, listening to pronunciation and following along, word-by-word.
- New and improved OCR quality! Be amazed with how accurate the app will read your documents. You no longer need to worry about low lighting and bad focus, Voice corrects it automatically and gives you near-perfect readings every time.
- Voice reads handwritten text! It can read the handwritten text even in cursive with slightly messy handwriting! Almost no other app can do this.
- Voice control. Now you can take a picture by simply saying "Capture" or "Take picture". Voice will literally snap a photo at your command. Then simply say the word "Read" and Voice will start reading it to you. Right now there are only 2 Voice commands but I will be adding more in future updates.
- Book mode – reads multiple pages one after another. Just simply keep taking photos. Then when you say "Read," Voice will be able to read them all to you one by one.
- Automatic language detection! The OCR will automatically find and detect the language of your text, so you can read documents that contain text with multiple languages! If you let VoiceOver do the reading, it can fluently switch between languages. Supports over 30 major languages (basically, any language that's supported by VoiceOver is supported by Voice).
- Field of view report – Just point it at a document. Voice will automatically tell you when all 4 corners of the document are visible.
- Fully compatible with VoiceOver and made specifically with accessibility in mind.
- Vertical and horizontal column detection and smart column-based reading- ex: newspapers.
- Better OCR quality and technology than almost every other expensive paid service.
- Adjustable speaking rate. Just customize it to your liking in the app Settings.
- This app works only when connected to the internet.
- Make sure your phone isn't on silent and your volume is all the way up (or enough for you to hear the voice).
Lots of major bug fixes:
- Fixed a bug where a photo is taken automatically even without the user pressed in the button.
- Fixed a bug where the internet connection error appears even when the connection is fine.
- Fixed a bug where the voice commands sometimes stop working.
- Fixed a bug where Voice switches to speakers when connected to a Bluetooth device or headphones.
- Fixed overall crashes and improved performance.
And amazing new features:
- Voice reads handwritten text! It can read the handwritten text even in cursive with slightly messy handwriting!
- New setting that lets you turn off the default Text-to-Speech. If you choose, you can have VoiceOver do all the reading.
- Automatic language detection! The OCR will automatically find and detect the language of your text, so you can read documents that contain text with multiple languages! Although the default text-to-speech doesn't fluently switch between languages, if you let VoiceOver do the reading, it can fluently switch between languages.
- Improved accessibility. Moving VoiceOver over certain buttons and elements now give more helpful hints and make it easier to figure out how to use certain features.
- added Hebrew to the list of languages that the default Text-to-speech can speak in.
- Export the text and image to other apps or save it to notes!
CRAZY CRAZY UPDATES TO THE APP.
Voice was completely remade from the ground up, with the best and latest technology. The OCR quality is spectacular, even on completely distorted and badly focused photos. New voice control features introduced. You can simply say the words "Take Picture" and Voice will take pictures for you. Can give extremely accurate field of view reports when it detects a document in front of you. It works in over 30 major languages and gives you the most powerful OCR reading tools right in your pocket.
But don't take my word for it, give Voice a download and see for yourself!
Ratings and Reviews
Works As Advertised
Just finished using this app for the first time, and I think it works extremely well. The text captured is nearly perfect, if not perfect. There doesn’t appear to be any typos whatsoever in the document being read. I have noticed that sometimes the voice commands don’t work when you’re trying to take a picture or read the document, but you have buttons that you can utilize to take the picture when the voice commands do not work. Note: I found that you need to say “Take Picture” as the voice command to capture text. One potential idea for a future update might be to allow users the ability to access links in the document. This may give you the ability to call numbers that are in the document or go to a specific webpage. I definitely will be using this app more in the future!
Much improved, fast!
I was not very impressed with the earlier versions of this app, but recently when it was re-designed, and then again with the most recent version, it has been steadily improving significantly. It scans quickly, it’s interface is dead simple, and the addition of the voice controls is handy. This is become my go to app for identifying the print mail I receive, and quickly checking out other things.
Wonderful app after the update
As developer stated, the app was broken in the past. However, after updating the app couple days ago, it works like a charm. Also, those of you who have issues using voiceover gesture can use the verbal command to scan and read printed material by using this app. I highly recommend it. I know that the developer is in process of bringing more new features in next future update.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.