VoiceExpress allows you to transcribe any voice message or audio file. It can convert voice messages to text in all languages supported by the system dictation service. VoiceExpress also supports transcribing audio files with Shortcuts!
Using VoiceExpress is very simple:
• You can open VoiceExpress and select or drop an audio file.
• Or you can open any audio file from other apps using the “Share” or “Open with…” menu.
VoiceExpress supports macOS, iOS and iPadOS.
• VoiceExpress supports as input voice messages and audio files in all common formats like AAC, MP3, M4A, CAF and Opus and allows you to share, save or copy the transcription a text file.
• VoiceExpress Shortcuts support includes two actions: “Transcribe Audio” to transcribe an audio file in Shortcuts (limited to 10s on iOS and iPadOS) or opening the app and “Get Current Transcription” to load the current transcription text from the VoiceExpress app.
Added Shortcuts support with two new actions:
– Transcribe Audio: transcribe an audio file in Shortcuts (limited to 10s execution in iOS and iPadOS) or opening the app.
– Get Current Transcription: get the current transcription text from the VoiceExpress app.
Ratings and Reviews
Very usefull and a good value (v1.4)
Uses Apple's OS built-in voice-to-text capability. Performs well on voice files I exported from screen-recorded videos I created on my Mac using apple wired headset. Not perfect, but did not expect it to be. Provides me with a good starting text file that I then edit. Saves me lots of time manually transcribing voice files, with no online connection needed and no recurring transcription fees. No problem trsnscribing 20minute-long audio files (my longest so far,) which required about 15min30sec to transcribe, not sure what is the max length of the audio file it will transcribe. You can also transcribe on the fly from voice to text without first ctreating an audio file. Not alot of bells and whistles, but a good basic, and very affordable, transcription tool.
Unlimited Free Transcription
Apple has recently introduced full-power audio transcription into Mac OS, but for some insane reason have neglected to make it possible to transcribe recorded material, regardless of how trivial this would be.
Workarounds are available using very expensive audio-patching applications such as Loopback or Audio Hijack, and there are extremely expensive transcriptions apps, and 'free' transcriptions apps which use subscription-based models or per-word models of pricing which end up being stupidly expensive in the long run.
The solution is obvious: somebody needs to come along and creat an app that uses MacOS's new, built-in transcription services to transcribe files.
That is what this app does. How does it compare to Dragon Dictate? Exactly as well as MacOS's dictation services do, which is to say: not so shabby. More importantly, it offers unlimited transcriptions for free, once you pay the up-front cost of the app, which is less than the cost of a Latte, or a mid-range sandwich at a fast food joint.
The people who give this app low ratings are clearly comparing it to $300 apps. This is a $4 app that provides unlimited transcriptions of relatively high quality. That earns it 5 stars, easy.
When I switched to Mac I lost my favorite dictation software. VoiceExpress however is a decent program and I believe it uses mac's speech recognition so there are definitely errors in the transcription. However, it saves me time from having to sit at the computer and type everything. And no transciption apps are perfect. I just have fix the errors on my document and then it's ready to go. So far I've tested with a twenty minute audio file. I'm hoping it will transcribe at least an hour of playback, but we'll see. But for now it's well worth the money.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Pedro Jose Pereira Vieito
- 2.1 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2018 Pedro José Pereira Vieito. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.