VOSIS is a synthesizer that uses scanned synthesis of greyscale image pixel data from photos or live video input. It is also a tool for image audification/sonification and visual music performance.
Visit www.imagesonification.com for technical details and demo video.
- Simply touch anywhere on an image to play sounds with the ADSR envelope
- Toggle LOOP and double-tap to add a looped region
- 8 voice polyphony (5 touch regions and 3 looped regions)
- Press IMG to select new image from photo library
- Press CAM to use live video and toggle between front and rear cameras
- PAN toggle enables stereo panning depending on horizonal image position
- LEVEL modifies the brightness of pixels and MASK is a level bit-reduction
- CUTOFF provides low-pass and high-pass filters
- THRESH filter is useful to accentuate differences between image regions
- SCAN RATE changes the ammout of time corresponding to an image region
- BACKGROUND controls the opacity of the source image, no effect on sound
- Double-tap the upper-right corner to show/hide the GUI
- VIBRATO uses the accelerometer’s roll to modulate frequency
- REVERB toggles a Lexicon emulation reverb mix and decay
- TUNING creates major or minor chords with multiple touch voices
- 2 finger left/right and up/down gesture control of filters anywhere on screen
- Projector output for instant visual music performance
- Audiobus Support: please use buffer size of 512 for optimum performance
VOSIS = Voice of Sisyphus Image Sonification
- Software by Ryan Michael McGee | www.ryanmcgee.com
- “Voice of Sisyphus” is an artwork by George Legrady | www.georgelegrady.com
- Created with ofxUI by Reza Ali | www.syedrezaali.com
© 2013-2016 Ryan Michael McGee
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
Orientation Fixes for iOS 9
Up to 5 Touch Regions
Faster Front/Rear Camera Switching
Ratings and Reviews
Update to 1.1.1 broke this app
App was working just fine until the update to version 1.1.1 occurred. Now the app opens, but no audio is heard. Wish it didn't update itself to this broken version. Now it's just another app bought and paid for that needs to get deleted from my iPad. Sure wish developers would make sure their apps work before releasing updates that only break a previously working app. This was a lot of fun to play around with before this stupid update.
Update: after deleting the app and reinstalling it again all is well and working as before. Hooray now I can once again make those industrial sounds I have grown to love with this app.
Hey cool app here. Great concept and nice sound engine. I wish it were a little more sonicly diverse though... The drone layering is cool but starts to all sound the same rather quick. Perhaps some new parameters to tamper with would make this a 5 star app.
Seemed like a great app. Several videos I watched about it made it sound really unique. Unfortunately it no longer functions. Tried deleting and redownloading. But no dice. 😞
The developer, Life Orange LLC, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Life Orange LLC
- 31.4 MB
- Requires iPadOS 7.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Ryan Michael McGee
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.