Music theory can be empowering, exciting, and one of the biggest tools in your creative arsenal. Whether you already play an instrument or are just learning, Waay teaches you how to stitch notes together into melodies, chords, and even songs. Read what experts and users are saying about Waay:
"The app is very smooth, and a great resource for learning more about music theory. I found the scale exercises to be very helpful, and I suspect I'll go back to them as a way of keeping those skills sharp."
– Sean Garland (App reviewer at iOS MARS)
“This is a really helpful app. I have been an amateur musician for many years and your circle of fifths explanation is the best I've ever heard. Thanks for putting this app together and sharing it with the world!”
– Tony Smith (Amateur musician)
"If you want a solid introduction to the kind of practical music theory that will get you writing songs that make harmonic sense, then Waay looks like a good place to start."
– John Walden (App reviewer at Music App Blog)
"If only the theory class I dropped out of was as easy and engaging! This is definitely the best way to learn theory. Waay to go!"
– Rob Davis (Guitarist)
“Whether you are a beginner or someone who wants to brush up on their music theory skills, I would recommend Waay!”
– Lisa Chan (Pianist, singer, and music instructor)
You're writing a new song, but keep getting stuck. What chords sound good together? What melody fits those chords? Waay helps you master these skills with its interactive exercises, video lessons, and progress tracking tools.
Waay teaches applied music theory—stuff you can take straight to your instrument and use. Want to know what notes sound good together? Waay covers that in the first course called "Melodies." Want to know which chords fit well together, and how to build any major, minor, or diminished chord? That's what the second course, "Chords," is all about.
Using a combination of bite-size video lessons and interactive exercises, Waay takes you from the basics of notes, steps, and keys all the way through chords, chord progressions, and more. The first course even comes completely free with the app, including 8 video lessons and 9 interactive exercises. Here's what else you get with Waay:
• Music theory tailored for beginners and aspiring songwriters
• Video lessons with many musical examples
• Interactive exercises on keys, intervals, scales, and more
• Built-in tools to track your progress
• No connection required! Lesson videos will download automatically as soon as you're on WiFi, and then you'll never need a connection again to use the app. Perfect for your subway commutes and plane adventures.
And here's what you'll learn:
Course 1: "Melodies" (free with app)
• 8 video lessons, 9 interactive exercises
• Notes and steps: What are the 12 notes in music and how do we talk about them?
• Intervals: Steps, half-steps and moving between notes
• Keys: Learn what notes sound good together and hear audio examples
• Scale building: Build your own major and minor scales from scratch
• Songwriting: Learn how you can use theory to write music
• Circle of fifths: The super-fast way to build scales… and more
• Melodies: How to apply music theory knowledge to writing melodies
Course 2: "Chords" (in-app purchase)
• 8 video lessons, 11 interactive exercises
• Chord foundations: Learn about thirds and fifths—the building blocks of chords
• Building chords: Build any major, minor, or diminished chord with just two intervals
• Songwriting: Hear how a song can be built from a melody by adding just the right chords
• Magic formula: What chords sound together? You'll learn that here
• Chords in major and minor keys: How do you find that perfect progression for your songs?
• Relative major: How are major and minor scales related? And why should we care?
• Fast minor scales: Learn how to build minor scales fast
Get in touch if you have any questions. We'd love to hear from you!
Hello! Here's what's new in this update:
• Waay is now optimized for Apple's brand new iPhone models.
• All lesson videos are now packaged right into the initial app download.
Questions or feedback? Get in touch anytime at alex[at]tenkettles[dot]com. -Alex
Ratings and Reviews
Highly underrated app
I think this app is one of the best in the App Store for music theory. I don’t usually comment or give ratings ever, but I just have to make people more aware. I feel that they took a lot of time to make the videos and the games they have to make sure that you actually understand and memorize the lesson all together. I have looked at many videos on music theory and the circle of fifth and I feel that this is the most understanding way that it has been broken down to me. How you can’t continue the lesson unless you’ve reached a certain quota is perfect. The way the lessons are broken down into 5-6 minute videos is great for someone like me who loses his attention too easily. It always kept me coming back and wanting to learn more. The only problem I can see coming from the app is that maybe main hub screen is a little boring and can make you think that you aren’t gonna have fun while learning but I was really surprised when I started watching the first video. I hope to see more lessons in the future from this app!
The key that finally opened the door
I struggled for YEARS with music theory, everyone kept raving about how simple it is, and I always felt confused and stubborn with anything regarding music theory. However I owe everything to this app for finally unlocking the door, it explained everything easily and effortlessly and now I’m able to learn even more theory after using this as my building block. If you still don’t understand or get frustrated do not give up! I even deleted this app from my phone for a year, came back and now I’m finally understanding of music theory. Thank you to the creators of this app!
I have been through multiple musical theory apps but could never really grasp anything. With this app, I do not exaggerate, I learned how to build major and minor scales, the circle of fifths, the circle of fourths, the perfect 5th in chords, the diminutive 5th.... and on and on in ONE DAY. Not only did I learn them, I understand them!! I’ve played guitar for years but have been unable to write my own music because I lacked the knowledge this app gave me in one day. I’ve wasted weeks on other apps, books, and even musical coaches. This app is amazing!!!!!
- Ten Kettles Inc.
- 241.3 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2015–2018 Ten Kettles Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Course 2: Chords $4.99
- Teacher Mode $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.