Music theory can be empowering, exciting, and one of the biggest tools in your creative arsenal. Whether you already play an instrument or are just learning, Waay teaches you how to bring together notes into melodies, chords, progressions, and even songs. This is applied music theory—stuff you can take straight to your instrument and use.
"Absolutely phenomenal. This is better than any YouTube video, podcast, or music theory book I have read. This truly helps you find an actionable way to put music theory to practice. Within 48 hours using this app I have actually comprehended what is being taught with this app far beyond any previous comprehension for past products. Honestly they could charge more than double the amount and it would be totally worth it." —Artice, May 3, 2022
"It's obvious a lot of time, love and energy has gone into this app. It's very well thought out, easy to follow and keeps you coming back for more. The developer is super friendly and answers any questions you have. It's clear he has a real passion for what he does and genuinely wants to help out. Awesome work all round" —thatboyswiss, Jan. 8, 2019
"The app is very smooth, and a great resource for learning more about music theory. I found the scale exercises to be very helpful, and I suspect I'll go back to them as a way of keeping those skills sharp." —Sean Garland (iOS MARS)
"I have probably spent thousands of dollars perfecting tone on pedals, instruments, amps and apps, posters, printed media, online courses. The BEST PURCHASE has been your Waay app." —A.P., Apr. 1, 2020
You're writing a song, but keep getting stuck. What chords sound good together? What melody fits those chords? Waay helps you master these skills with its interactive exercises, bite-sized video lessons, musical examples, and progress-tracking tools. The Practice Space recommends a great time to practice each of your new skills too. Plus there's no Internet connection required! Perfect for your subway commutes and plane adventures.
Here’s what you’ll learn in each course:
Course 1: Melodies
• 8 video lessons, 9 interactive exercises
• Notes and steps: What are the 12 notes in music and how do we talk about them?
• Intervals: Steps, half-steps, and moving between notes
• Keys: Learn what notes sound good together and hear audio examples
• Scale building: Build major and minor scales from scratch
• Songwriting: How do we use theory to write music?
• Circle of fifths: The super-fast way to build scales… and more
• Melodies: Apply music theory to writing melodies
Course 2: Chords
• 8 video lessons, 11 interactive exercises
• Chord foundations: Thirds and fifths—the building blocks of chords
• Building chords: Build major, minor, or diminished chords with just two intervals
• Songwriting: We write a song melody-first and then add just the right chords
• Magic formula: How do we know what chords sound good together?
• Chords in major & minor keys: Find the right chords for your key
• Relative major: The special relationship between major and minor scales
• Fast minor scales: Take your scale skills to the next level
Courses 3 & 4: Progressions
• 10 video lessons, 30 interactive exercises
• Formula fluency: The fundamental relationship between keys and chords
• Key identification: Identify the key of a chord progression with six speedy tricks
• Shortlisting: Find chords to fit your chord progressions
• Musical judgement: Decide which chords *you* like best in your progressions
• ii V: Why is the ii V progression so important anyways?
• Choosing accidentals: Is it a sharp or flat? Learn that here
The Practice Space and first seven videos/exercises come free. Access all content through a one-time purchase or a subscription. Get in touch at alex[at]tenkettles[dot]com if you have any questions—happy to help! -Alex
NOTE: Syncing across multiple devices is not currently supported
Practice Space! Skill Freshness! Recommendations! There's so much to this new release. Jump into the new Welcome video to see how it all works. Then you'll be ready to dive into *all* the new features:
* The Practice Space: A place to hone—and retain—all the new skills you'll be learning.
* Freshness: Waay now uses an amazing feature of the human memory to suggest optimal times to practice each exercise. Each exercise will stay "fresh" for longer and longer the more you practice it.
* Recommendations: Tap the Practice button (in the top right) to jump to the next recommended exercise.
* Corrections Exercises: Got a few answers wrong? No problem! Strengthen those weak points with the new corrections exercises.
* Untimed Exercises: Start building your skills at your own pace with a new timer toggle button in the Practice Space.
* And more: Larger tap area on exercise buttons, headphone control support, new exercise completion awards, more time for the Formula Chords exercise (Thanks, Ben!), and lots of other tweaks too.
Your feedback helped shape this new release, as it will shape future releases too. So let me know what you think! Get it touch with any questions, comments, or feedback by tapping "Send me a note" in the sidebar. -Alex
P.S., All users who purchased Waay prior to this release are automatically upgraded to a Legacy account. That means you keep access to all the content you had before, but you also get all the new features too. Any issues with the upgrade? Get in touch by tapping "Send me a note" in the sidebar—happy to help.
Ratings and Reviews
Highly underrated app
I think this app is one of the best in the App Store for music theory. I don’t usually comment or give ratings ever, but I just have to make people more aware. I feel that they took a lot of time to make the videos and the games they have to make sure that you actually understand and memorize the lesson all together. I have looked at many videos on music theory and the circle of fifth and I feel that this is the most understanding way that it has been broken down to me. How you can’t continue the lesson unless you’ve reached a certain quota is perfect. The way the lessons are broken down into 5-6 minute videos is great for someone like me who loses his attention too easily. It always kept me coming back and wanting to learn more. The only problem I can see coming from the app is that maybe main hub screen is a little boring and can make you think that you aren’t gonna have fun while learning but I was really surprised when I started watching the first video. I hope to see more lessons in the future from this app!
Exactly what I needed
This app is incredible. If you’re anything like me, you’ve been wanting to learn music theory for a while and have been putting it off. Recently, I’ve had the desire to dig deep and really learn music theory. I was searching for a course that was clear, concise, and guided. This app fits the bill 100%. The lessons are very well presented and the exercises are a fun way to test and hone your skills. The developer has done an amazing job by gamifying the process and making your progress feel tangible and substantial. Then there’s the cherry on top: this app is a one-time purchase and the developer doesn’t collect your data! Seriously, this kind of honest business practice is unheard of these days on the App Store. A big thank you to the developer, and his two beagles! SUPPORT THIS MAN!
What a find!
I’m so glad I chose this app. I’ve tried so many times in the past to learn music theory and have never been successful UNTIL NOW. In just one week, I understand how to build major and minor scales quickly and identify their chords. I’m now working on chord progressions and can’t wait to start applying all of this knowledge to my guitar playing and maybe even my own songs (something I would never have dared to think about before!). The lessons are clear and concise and the exercises are very helpful. I highly recommend Waay for anyone who wants to finally understand music theory! Best money I’ve spent in a very long time.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ten Kettles Inc.
- 154.7 MB
- Requires iOS 13.6 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.6 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.6 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2015–2022 Ten Kettles Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Progressions I & II $9.99
- Teacher Mode $2.99
- Full Access (Monthly) $6.99
- Full Access (Yearly) $69.99
- Full Access $99.99