Music theory can be empowering, exciting, and one of the biggest tools in your creative arsenal. Whether you already play an instrument or are just learning, Waay teaches you how to bring together notes into melodies, chords, progressions, and even songs. This is applied music theory—stuff you can take straight to your instrument and use.
“Best music theory learning app out there. I just want to say this app is completely amazing and an incredible amount of work must have gone into this. I have been looking for an app just like this to complete my learning between music classes and this has everything I need and more. I highly recommend!” —BigMat74, Oct. 20, 2023
"Absolutely phenomenal. This is better than any YouTube video, podcast, or music theory book I have read. Within 48 hours using this app I have actually comprehended what is being taught far beyond any previous comprehension for past products. Honestly they could charge more than double the amount and it would be totally worth it." —Artice, May 3, 2022
"It's obvious a lot of time, love and energy has gone into this app. It's very well thought out, easy to follow and keeps you coming back for more. The developer is super friendly and answers any questions you have. It's clear he has a real passion for what he does and genuinely wants to help out. Awesome work all round" —thatboyswiss, Jan. 8, 2019
"I have probably spent thousands of dollars perfecting tone on pedals, instruments, amps and apps, posters, printed media, online courses. The BEST PURCHASE has been your Waay app." —A.P., Apr. 1, 2020
You're writing a song, but keep getting stuck. What chords sound good together? What melody fits those chords? Waay helps you master these skills with its interactive exercises, bite-sized video lessons, musical examples, and progress-tracking tools. The Practice Space recommends a great time to practice each of your new skills too. Plus there's no Internet connection required! Perfect for your subway commutes and plane adventures.
Here’s what you’ll learn in each course:
Course 1: Melodies
• 8 video lessons, 9 interactive exercises
• The 12 notes in music and how we talk about them
• Intervals: Steps, half-steps, and moving between notes
• Keys: Learn what notes sound good together and hear audio examples
• Scale building: Build major and minor scales from scratch
• Songwriting: How do we apply theory to write music?
• Circle of fifths: The super-fast way to build scales… and more
Course 2: Chords
• 8 video lessons, 11 interactive exercises
• Thirds and fifths: The building blocks of chords
• Build major, minor, and diminished chords
• Songwriting: We write a song melody-first and then add just the right chords
• Magic formula: Which chords actually sound good together?
• Relative majors & Fast minor scales
Courses 3 & 4: Progressions
• 10 video lessons, 30 interactive exercises
• The fundamental relationship between keys and chords
• Identify the key of a chord progression with six speedy tricks
• Shortlisting: Find chords to fit your chord progressions
• Musical judgement: Decide which chords *you* like best in your progressions
• ii V: Why is the ii V progression so important anyways?
• Choosing accidentals: Is it a sharp or flat? Learn that here
Courses 5 & 6: Intervals
• 10 video lessons, 20 interactive exercises
• Learn the complete set of intervals, from unison to 14th
• Inversions: How to flip intervals upside-down—and why you'd want to
• Enharmonics: Different names for the same note
• Compound intervals: Intervals bigger than an octave!
• Transposition: How to move songs to different keys
• Augmented chords and intervals
The Practice Space, first seven videos/exercises, and device syncing all come free. Access all content through a one-time purchase or subscription. Get in touch at tenkettles.com/contact if you have any questions—happy to help! -Alex
"Intervals II" is here! In Waay's newest course, we dive into interval qualities, enharmonics, compound intervals, transposition, and more.
This course builds on everything you learned in "Intervals I." It completes the picture on intervals—and lays the foundation for more to come!
Questions or feedback? Email me anytime by tapping "Get in Touch" in the sidebar (under "More"). -Alex
Ratings and Reviews
Highly underrated app
I think this app is one of the best in the App Store for music theory. I don’t usually comment or give ratings ever, but I just have to make people more aware. I feel that they took a lot of time to make the videos and the games they have to make sure that you actually understand and memorize the lesson all together. I have looked at many videos on music theory and the circle of fifth and I feel that this is the most understanding way that it has been broken down to me. How you can’t continue the lesson unless you’ve reached a certain quota is perfect. The way the lessons are broken down into 5-6 minute videos is great for someone like me who loses his attention too easily. It always kept me coming back and wanting to learn more. The only problem I can see coming from the app is that maybe main hub screen is a little boring and can make you think that you aren’t gonna have fun while learning but I was really surprised when I started watching the first video. I hope to see more lessons in the future from this app!
Exactly what I needed
This app is incredible. If you’re anything like me, you’ve been wanting to learn music theory for a while and have been putting it off. Recently, I’ve had the desire to dig deep and really learn music theory. I was searching for a course that was clear, concise, and guided. This app fits the bill 100%. The lessons are very well presented and the exercises are a fun way to test and hone your skills. The developer has done an amazing job by gamifying the process and making your progress feel tangible and substantial. Then there’s the cherry on top: this app is a one-time purchase and the developer doesn’t collect your data! Seriously, this kind of honest business practice is unheard of these days on the App Store. A big thank you to the developer, and his two beagles! SUPPORT THIS MAN!
Musical Mastery Made Easy! Waay is the easiest, fastest possible way to learn music theory
Discovering Waay has been an absolute game-changer in my musical journey! As someone who's sought to unravel the mysteries of music theory for years, I've finally found a home with this incredible app. The way it breaks down complex concepts into digestible, bite-sized pieces is revolutionary. Alex's crystal-clear videos coupled with practical application exercises have truly transformed my understanding. What sets Waay apart is its clever timer system, gently nudging when to revisit concepts for reinforced learning. For the first time, I feel grounded in music theory, and I can't recommend this app highly enough. It's a must-have for any songwriter or music enthusiast aiming to master the language of music.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ten Kettles Inc.
- 221 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2015–2024 Ten Kettles Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Full Access (Monthly) $6.99
- Full Access (Yearly) $59.99
- Teacher Mode $2.99
- Full Access $99.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.