WAW is a unique strategy turn-based game concept, on a boardgame spirit, which aims at simulating in one single system ALL conflicts throughout the world (and beyond) from Prehistoric times to nowadays, from grand massive wars to asymmetrical conflicts.
The Main Game Features includes:
• Game is turn-based, using the I GO U GO system, each player taking one side (sides involve sometimes more than one nation).
• The map is divided into numerous regions, with various terrains and sometimes structures (ports, fortresses, airports ...), and potentially sources of income when necessary.
• When maintenance and purchase of forces is needed, or to acquire new event cards, a simple income system is activated.
• Combat units may be from the land, naval or air domains. You will find different types, such as infantry, cavalry, artillery, guerrillas, submarines, flat tops, fighters, elephants, anti-aircraft batteries, etc ... All of which can be combined into different stacks for easy handling.
• Leaders are crucial in the game, as they have three main usages: first they give bonus to the base combat values of their stacks, second their morale values are use to check victory or defeat levels, and lastly they are necessary to launch attacks on the enemy.
• Two opposing stacks in the same region generate a battle, which is resolved in a semi-tactical way in two successive rounds. The game automatically calculates the various bonus and penalties of sides, their respective morale levels, allows for event cards play, and they each combat unit of each side shoots simultaneously (in most cases) at the enemy. Losses are taken in terms of hits and panics. The moral level of the initial army affected by the losses and panics suffered, which in turn may lead to rout, pursuit and breakthroughs.
• Multiple Events Cards packs are granted to each side, that they will use to influence all aspects of the game, such as alliances, income, movement, weather, leadership, number and quality of troops and finally many tactical aspects for the battles. This ensures both a real uncertainty in the game and a great replayability potential.
The application contains the scenario Normandy 1944. Several other scenarios are purchasable in content inApp, including: Hamilkar 264 (First Punic War), Hastings 1066 (Conquest of England), Saratoga 1777 (American War of Independence), Waterloo 1815 (Napoleonic wars), Bull Run 1861 and Missouri 1861 (Civil War), Tannenberg 1914 (World War I), Malaya 1941 (WW2 Malaysian campaign), Bulge 1944 (WW2 Battle of the Bulge), Berlin 1945 (End of World War II) ) and Six Days 1967 (Six Day War).
Other scenarios will be added regularly.
- User interface and user experience improvements
- Iphone X interface compatibility
Ratings and Reviews
I am compelled to write a review for the first time because this is the game I’ve been waiting for. I love strategy games and there are several good ones in the App Store, but for me personally this one is it. Mainly because of the nostalgic feeling it has to it. It reminds me of the classic table top strategy games that my friends and I used to play as teenagers. I have purchased close to a third of the maps (scenarios) that are available and have enjoyed very much the ones that I’ve played so far. I will be editing this review with a fifth star if more maps/battles are added in future updates. Speaking of which…suggestions…Gettysburg, Isandhlwana, and Stalingrad would be a few awesome battles to recreate. Or maybe a mid 80’s NATO vs. Warsaw Pact Scenario like the movie Red Dawn. That would be so cool. Any way keep up the good work!
Five stars if they had an option for infinite turns
Let’s start with I love this game but I would love to see an option to have infinite turns. I always feel as if I am up against the clock especially in Berlin. for example the Germans can win every time if they simply pull back and defend Berlin the city until time expires. Also in many of the civil war scenarios it can be difficult to build an army especially as the confederacy. So I feel as if a option to enable an infinite amount of turns would make the game a thousand times better because then the Germans could not just fall back to Berlin and defend until the time expires and the confederacy could build up an army. Also for example in the battle of the bulge scenario the allies would be able to counter attack and push the Germans back instead of how it turns out where the Germans push them back almost to the edge and then they attack and capture a few towns then time expires. Please please add it as a option where you can enable it.
I originally gave this game a ***** five star review, and still think it is a great system, very fun to play, and with ever expanding content, always offering new challenges. But having dropped a lot of money into the extra scenarios, I find that so many of them get stuck with a bug halfway through. It is normally something to do with one of the reinforcement cards which completely freezes the game. This was a known issue from when the game first launched on iOS, so they have had a couple years now to fix this bug, and have not. There is no way they should be releasing new content, which is often unplayable due to the same bug, without fixing it first.
Basic game works well, so it might be worth it just for that but some of the expansions like Spain and Switzerland, you cannot finish the game due to bugs. Buyer beware. I would gladly give this five stars if they could fix the problem!
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Plug In Digital
- 392.9 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Russian
- Age Rating
- ©2018 Avalon Digital and Plug In Digital
- In-App Purchases
- Innsmouth 1928 $0.00
- Six Days 1967 $0.99
- Sicily 1943 $0.99
- Berlin 1945 $2.99
- Hastings 1066 $0.99
- Bulge 1944 $0.99
- Saratoga 1777 $0.99
- Gulf 1990 $2.99
- Waterloo 1815 $0.99
- Hamilkar 264 $0.99