This App provides you with useful guides to the Way of St James by Carlos Mencos, a journalist and a well-known pilgrim himself! His guides have helped tens of thousands of pilgrims on their Way to St James. The guides have now been adapted to the App layout – and are even more comprehensive than the hardcopy of the printed guide!
What will I find here that no other Apps provide?
- Actual layout of the route and all possible variations, on foot and by bike, based on Google maps or on ready-to-download maps for you to use when going offline.
- Detailed profile of the route, which you can navigate through.
- Your position in the map and in the profile, so you do not lose your way.
- Stage planner for you to organise the route your way.
- Real-time alerts and situations in the Way, updated on a daily basis by the journalists of Editorial Buen Camino Publishing House.
- Thousands of geo-tagged points of all types of accommodation (hotels, B&Bs, hostels, etc.), points of interest and important notices. All this information is comprehensively extended and constantly updated using pictures from our own picture database.
- This App is add-free! No accommodation business, bar or restaurant pays any fee whatsoever to be featured in it. Our guides are professional top-quality and updated guides.
- Detailed information on every locality, available services and real-time weather information.
- Mode-specific information for pilgrims on foot and by bike.
- Available in Spanish and English, French, Italian and German.
- Made for you by journalist Carlos Mencos, a pilgrim himself, distinguished with the 2015 Aymeric Picaud Award for popularising the Way of St James.
Which guides are available? And what is their price?
Right now you can download the Camino de Baztán - Baztán Route Guide – in full and at no cost! And the Camino de Santiago Francés - French Route, the Camino Aragonés - Aragon Route, North Way - Camino del Norte, Camino Portugués from Tui the Camino Primitivo - Primitive Route and the Route extension to Fisterra-Muxia.
New language in the app: Chinese
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
A must have, and it saves weight!
I used this app as my primary guide on the Camino Frances starting in St Jean Pied de Port. My only guideline was to complete the Camino in 32 days, and this app helped me do that. I actually downloaded a few others as well, but this ended up being the best by far. The app proved to be an excellent way to plan my stages, and it was the best way to plan my stays each evening. When I showed this to other pilgrims along the way, they immediately downloaded it. Can’t tell you how much time this saved, and it saved me from needing a guidebook— plus it was significantly cheaper. Also, the map feature kept me honest when the trail could be vague. Brilliant!!
Good but needs improvements. They r very responsive to ???s
Overall good app. Be aware you have to buy your section. It allows you to use KMs or miles and it is very useful to create your own stages based on the miles you want to walk each day. Missing is detailed written descriptions of the stages but there are symbols and grade maps. You can chose town with amenities you need by looking at symbols and it also gives you info on places to stay in towns so you can call to reserve
I have sent them many suggestions and they respond right away but the changes won’t come for a while yet. Problems are that the stages function puts all the standard stages that you delete back in about daily. Your custom stages r still there but you have to delete all those standard stages regularly. Also does not recognize your location so every time you want to set up a stage your choices start at the very first town again. Takes a lot is scrolling towards the end! I think with some improvements you’ll have a good app here but would still have one of the written guidebooks on my phone for route guidance.
Immensely valuable tool
The Buen Camino app was a wonderful resource as I hiked the Camino. It allowed me to know exactly where I was in relation to the trail and reassured me I wasn’t lost when I couldn’t find any trail markers and helped me find my way back on the seldom occasion that I accidentally took a wrong turn. It helped me find Albergues to sleep at and it was a great resource for planning distance and what localities I wanted to stop at and what those villages would have available for me when I got there. If you want peace of mind when you’re hiking the Camino, like where you’re going, what you should see, and what you need to know, then this is the app for you!
- Buen Camino SL
- 70.2 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © Editorial Buen Camino
- In-App Purchases
- French Route
- Northern Route
- Route extension to Fisterra
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.