Webster's New World® College Dictionary is the most useful and authoritative dictionary you can own. More than 4,700 entries and senses have been added, including terms from the areas of arts, sports, science, medicine, food, business, law, politics, computers and the Internet. Thousands of revisions have been made to existing senses, to reflect current usage.
About 12,000 Americanisms have been included to extensively cover the words, phrases, and senses first used in the United States. This dictionary features advanced word definitions, complimented with abundant synonym notes, full-page tables and charts, drawings and authoritative guidance on usage and style points, all well-organized in a clear and accessible style.
* Clear, readable definitions that provide instant understanding
* More than 160,000 entries with abundant synonym notes, full-page tables and charts, and authoritative guidance on usage and style points
* Over 800 illustrations, biographical photographs and maps
* 12,000 specially identified Americanisms
* 4,700 terms from the areas of arts and sports, science and medicine, computers and the Internet, food, business, politics and law
* Thousands of well-revised examples of current word usage
Webster's New World ® College Dictionary, 5th edition is selected by leading newspapers as their official dictionary of choice. It is a favorite of newsrooms and copy editors nationwide and it is the official dictionary of The Associated Press Stylebook.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – The colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - With new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches, you can get to the desired entry faster than ever.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled.
Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you freedom to structure your studies, the dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized, including:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
* Newest database (2018 edition).
* Four new colorful themes.
* Delete and sort entries with Favorites/Recent list.
* Dictionary & Thesaurus displayed in Word-of-the-Day.
Ratings and Reviews
Very good all-purpose dictionary
Its special strength is the etymologies, which often trace the history of a word back to its Indo-European roots and include cognate words derived from the same root so that, for example, one learns that the word “hundred” is related to the Latin and Sanskrit words for the number as well as to the English word “read”. If you enjoy etymology, you can spend many happy hours chasing a word around the dictionary.
Great Dictionary, Subpar App Layout
The Webster New World Dictionary is outstanding. However, for $15 you get this app with paltry navigation functionality. The previous dictionary edition app was by a different company (no longer supported in IOS 11), and it at least allowed you to go from a word entry back to the search screen by pressing the back button. The current app offers no such navigation capability.
It would also be nice to swipe back and forth between alphabetical entries, and also to see short descriptions attached to words in the search screen.
It would be even better to be able to see multiple consecutive entries on a single screen by scrolling up and down, without having to restart the search screen and looking up the next word, all over again.
Without such navigation capabilities this app is seriously handicapped, and you have to wonder what exactly you paid so much money for.
Developer Response ,
Hello, we are sorry that you have problems with the dictionary. We have released a new version that supports iOS 11, but it is still in review by Apple. It should be approved and available on the App Store shortly. Please excuse any inconveniences caused, we appreciate your patience.
This dictionary’s anointment as “official” by major American news outlets means it’s authoritative, up to date and as complete as most of us will ever need. It also guarantees, if you follow it, your writing will be in sync with what millions of educated readers see in newspapers, magazines, books and serious websites every day. I find ithat the derivations and usage notes provide especially helpful guidance.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.