WeChat is more than a messaging and social media app – it is a lifestyle for one billion users across the world. Chat and make calls with friends, read news and use local services in Official Accounts and Mini Programs, play games with friends, enjoy mobile payment features with WeChat Pay, and much more.
Why do one billion people use WeChat?
• MORE WAYS TO CHAT: Message friends using text, photo, voice, video, location sharing, and more. Create group chats with up to 500 members.
• VOICE & VIDEO CALLS: High-quality voice and video calls to anywhere in the world. Make group video calls with up to 9 people.
• REAL-TIME LOCATION: Not good at explaining directions? Share your real-time location with the tap of a button.
• MOMENTS: Never forget your favorite moments. Post photos, videos, and more to share with friends on your personal Moments stream.
• TIME CAPSULE (NEW!): Share glimpses of your day. Record short videos to post in your Time Capsule before they disappear in 24 hours.
• STICKER GALLERY: Browse thousands of fun, animated stickers to help express yourself in chats, including stickers with your favorite cartoon and movie characters.
• CUSTOM STICKERS (NEW!): Make chatting more unique with custom stickers and selfie stickers.
• OFFICIAL ACCOUNTS: Tons of accounts to follow with original content and news for your reading pleasure.
• MINI PROGRAMS: Countless third-party services all within the WeChat app that don’t require additional installation, saving you precious phone storage and time.
• TOP STORIES: See the latest articles your friends are reading and discover all kinds of interesting content.
• GAMES: Have fun and compete with friends in a huge selection of WeChat Mini Games and Tencent Games (available in select regions).
• WECHAT PAY: Enjoy the convenience of world-leading mobile payment features with WeChat Pay and Wallet (available in select regions).
• WECHAT OUT: Make calls to mobile phones and landlines around the globe at super low rates (only available in select regions).
• WERUN: Use Healthkit and Health app data to sync your step count on WeRun, where you can compete against friends with daily step rankings. Enable WeRun in “Settings” > “General” > “Plug-ins”.
• LANGUAGE SUPPORT: Localized in 20 different languages and can translate friends' messages and Moments posts.
• BETTER PRIVACY: Giving you the highest level of control over your privacy, WeChat is the only messaging app to be certified by TRUSTe.
- Minimize notes in Favorites, document previews, etc. to a Floating Window.
- When sending a Time Capsule, search and attach a background song.
- Send a private comment within your friend’s Time Capsule.
- New methods supported to register and login to your WeChat account.
Ratings and Reviews
Great improvements since I originally downloaded
I’ve seen a drastic improvement in the overall app since I began using it 7 months ago. The English version is getting great attention - which I appreciate.
I only have one suggestion and hope for a future update. As someone who is still learning Chinese, the in-chat translate option is a dream. As I find myself in multiple group chats for work where all conversation is in Chinese, I use this feature quite a lot. I do find it annoying having to tab across every time to reach this feature as it is the last option. If there was a way to re-arrange the options when selecting a message/text (for example translate would appear first and be the largest icon rather than copy or multi select(which I rarely ever use).
Overall great app - hope to see the continuous improvements in the future.
Used to love but Customer Support is horrible
I have friends that live in various parts of the world and I loved using this app to communicate with them. I went on a trip to visit said friends, resulting in no need for use of the app since I was there, in person with them. My account goes inactive since I wasn’t using it for a few weeks and when I come back to sign on, it gives me an error message saying my account may have been “hijacked” or disabled for inactivity and I have to get another user to unblock my account. It gives me instructions on how the friend can unblock me so I find an alternative way to communicate with them to do so, but when they follow the given steps, it does not work. I have submitted multiple support tickets for MONTHS for help resolving this and no one has gotten back to me. Not even a confirmation email that the ticket was received. The only reason I don’t trash this app is that I have important information in the messages that I’d at least like to get back to. If I should ever get any freaking help. Horrible service.
Chinese App for Chatting in China
This is the go-to app for talking these days — 100% of the people I know here in China use it. If you are in the mainland or want to talk to Chinese people... TA-DA, this app is for you.
That said, you should know:
-There are rules. You can’t post censored things (news about Hong Kong, anything expressing unhappiness with the PRC government, smut) or you risk arrest.
-It’s monitored. By Tencent and the government. Don’t be stupid.
-It does not support foreign bank cards, as far as I know. Paying inside China with WeChat is dead easy, but its use is limited once you leave.
-People in Taiwan and Hong Kong prefer Facebook. I asked for their WeChat and got stared at, and then they offered to connect on FB instead. Just fyi.
-When big meetings are happening in CN, they’ll freeze letting people change their profile photos.
-Check how it deals with storage! It can try to store everything and bloat. You can manage that.
-People who register outside of the mainland get a different ID handle than those who register inside. And sometimes are able to see things insiders cannot — photos posted in a grouo chat, for example, will sometimes just not show up for those who registered inside CN.
- Tencent Technology (Shenzhen) Company Limited
- 273.7 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7‑inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5‑inch), iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (7th generation), iPad (7th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPod touch (6th generation), and iPod touch (7th generation).
English, Arabic, Chinese (Hong Kong), French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 17+ for the following:
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- Copyright © 2011 - 2019 Tencent Inc. All Rights Reserved
- In-App Purchases
- Onigiri&Friends $0.99
- Hello, Crayon $0.99
- DURURU $0.99
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.