Whale Alert helps reduce the chance of fatal ship strikes by large vessels by displaying active whale management areas, required reporting areas, recommended routes, areas-to-be-avoided and near real-time warnings in shipping lanes along both coasts of the United States and Canada. This information allows vessel operators to avoid collision with whales by slowing down and heightening their visual awareness.
Whale Alert now supports reporting of whale sightings by the maritime community and the broader public. This information is shared in real-time with leading whale researchers and state and federal management authorities. In some cases, whale sightings will trigger confirmation “over-flights” by the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) or the United States Coast Guard (USCG) who will then determine whether or not temporary speed restrictions should be created (Dynamic Management Areas).
Whale Alert 3.0 features include:
A growing roster of whale protection zones and speed recommendations including:
* NOAA Atlantic Seasonal Management Areas
* NOAA Atlantic Dynamic Management Areas
* NOAA Atlantic MSR Boundaries
* NOAA Atlantic Recommended Routes
* NOAA and IMO Atlantic designated Areas-to-be-Avoided
* NOAA and IMO Traffic Separation Schemes (San Pedro and Santa Barbara Channels)
* NOAA and IMO Traffic Separation Scheme (San Francisco Bay)
* NOAA Alaska Right Whale Critical Habitat
* Near Real-time Boston-area Acoustic Whale Detection Buoys (for Right Whales only)
* Near Real-time wave glider whale detections and selected human sightings
* Dynamic Management Areas via Internet or AIS over WIFI
* Seamless U.S. Nautical Raster Charts
* GPS Position Tracking and Alert for Entering Management Areas
* Whale sighting recording support (form, camera functions)
* Automatic posting of sightings data to central research database
Whale Alert is a collaboration of government agencies, academic institutions, non-profit conservation groups and private sector companies,: IFAW, Conserve.IO, Excelerate Energy, EOM Offshore, International Fund for Animal Welfare, Massachusetts Port Authority, NOAA Fisheries Service, NOAA National Marine Sanctuaries, , National Park Service, Cape Cod National Seashore, Point Blue Conservation Science, NYK Line (North America), United States Coast Guard and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
- Change NOAA chart source
- Minor bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Could use some work, but overall AMAZING!!!
This app is amazing for whale enthusiasts, mariners, fishermen, researchers, citizen scientists, educators, aviators, environmentalists, and so much more.
I get that the creators currently only think of this as a way to help prevent ship strikes; are they not realizing how incredible this tool is? When I zoom out I can see where in the entire world whales have been seen and what type. I can see that their ranges and distributions are different than what we previously thought post-whaling. This tool could provide international open source crowdsourcing for data collection on all whales for all researchers looking to aid in endangered species conservation.
It needs some performance improvements. The app needs more downloads and support for the developers to be able to do those though. This tool is phenomenal. I’m telling all of my friends. Thank you 😍
Marine restricted area
Keep getting updates saying I’m in a marine restricted area when I’m about 15 miles from the ocean.
No alert feature
The app is called Whale Alert but there is no feature to configure alerts for your area. You can report sightings but not be alerted when others report them.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Conserve.IO Inc.
- 78.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © conserve.io