The what3words app helps you find, share and navigate to any precise location.
We’ve given every 3m x 3m in the world a unique 3 word address. This simple and accurate way to talk about location makes it easier to meet up with friends, discover and tell others about amazing places, and explore the world without getting lost.
You’ll see 3 word addresses displayed by hotels, restaurants, travel guides and websites. They can be used in 30+ languages and are much simpler to remember, use and communicate than regular addresses. They’re also far more accurate and reliable.
Use the app to:
- Find your way to anywhere in the world, even where street addresses don’t exist
- Tell your friends precisely where your picnic is
- Always find your tent at festivals
- Tell your taxi exactly where you want to go
- Plan and share your off-roading or hiking waypoints
- Know exactly where you parked your car
- Get deliveries to a specific entrance
Key App Features:
- Compatible with navigation and messaging apps including Google Maps and Apple Maps
- Search for 3 word addresses or street addresses
- Enter a 3 word address using voice or by scanning it
- Save your favourite locations
- AutoSuggest feature prevents mistakes
- Available in 30+ languages
- Offline navigation with compass mode
- Apple Watch support
- iMessage support
- Dark Mode support
If you experience any problems or have any questions, please get in touch with email@example.com
- Display a 3 word address in 2 languages at once
- Redesigned interface to give you more map screen
- Updated app menu
Ratings and Reviews
Critically Important App
I just told my family members to download and install what3words. Everybody should have it. This app can save lives. Don't get stuck in a situation where you can't communicate your exact location except in the most circumstantial fashion, by numerical coordinates, or by saying what you see around you, or by walking to find the mile marker while other drivers are zooming by at 65mph. What if you are trapped in earthquake debris, or are on a rooftop in a flood, or have lost your way walking in the Pine Barrens like Paulie and Chris in The Sopranos, or had a bad fall while hiking? Three words is all it takes for people to locate you with a precision of a 3x3m square.
Great potential, but.......
This app has great potential to get to a much more accurate location than normal GPS, but it has a couple of shortcomings that need to be addressed. First, if you decide to save more than a few locations you will have a hard time finding the one you want since there isn’t any way to sort them. They are just listed in the order you saved them. Until app makers like Apple add 3words to their contact app this is a problem. 3words could at least list them in alphabetical order using the name you set for the location. Second, the voice recognition is useless. I set 3 words to US English and it never locates the correct address. It always finds addresses that aren’t even in the US and the street numbers and names aren’t even close to what I am saying. One other small thing is when I copy an address from Contacts that includes an apartment number or suite number, 3words isn’t smart enough to parse out the apt or suite info so it can’t find the address. I have to edit it out myself manually. Since voice recognition doesn’t work, the app is kind of useless if you are in a hurry. It will also be much more useful if Apple and others add support to recognize the /// as a link so you don’t have to copy and paste the location.
This is a very good idea and concept. The app though needs some improvements:
1) A way to actually copy the three words without all the extra text copied with it. Maybe this is in the settings maybe this is a separate ‘copy’ selection.
2) A way to pronounce the three words. Yes there’s a microphone to listen for input but there is no output.
3) selecting neighboring squares around your Geo location is very clunky. The app should have accessed all of the neighboring square data. It should be much quicker than it is.
4) when absolute precision is not necessary, it would be great to have a list of the three words surrounding you. That way it would be easy to find an easy, pronounceable, & fun three word combination. This would be useful for finding a word selection for your house or business when it is acceptable to be off a little bit.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the review and feedback. Just FYI, you can copy & paste 3 word address with the press and hold function. Other feedback will be informed to our Product team. Thank you.
- What3Words Limited
- 134.8 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 and watchOS 4.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Mongolian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Xhosa, Zulu
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © (C) 2019 what3words Ltd.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.