Wi-Fi Network Deployment Survey Express Tool
This is an UNIQUE and ONLY tool in the App store.
Is your wireless network optimized for VoIP or Voice over WLAN(VoWLAN)? Does the deployment of 802.11 improved the inter AP roaming performance? Any RF(radio frequency)coverage blind spot? This is the tool designed to measure and optimize/improve your WiFi network with real iOS devices, the iOS end users' roaming satisfaction will be improved after RF optimization.
The roaming of 802.11 is a complex process,
the client(phone or other mobile devices) made the decision when it shall roam to a new AP(access point) once it feels the signal level has been lower than the threshold.
WiFi roaming time can be divided into two interval in general, first interval is the new BSSID association and second interval is the data traffic actually switched from new AP to the client, the tool measured the first part from the client’s own OS point of view, the total time that the
client(iOS) accomplished BSSID association to the AP, in this manner, different brand of AP or same brand of AP enabling/disabling different feature(e.g 802.11r fast roaming or OKC etc)will affect the BSSID switching time, by measuring the time, the tool can be used for
1. A quick and handy WiFi RF Survey tool, for a poor of WiFi deployment, it will leave some signal blind spot or weak signal area, by reflecting on the tool, the roaming time would be dramatically huge(in weak area) or totally NO roaming(blindspot area)being shown as a new association(since the original signal from first AP was lost due to too weak and NO new signal from new AP can the client being associated with).
A typical RF survey tool generate heat map by collecting AP signal level either from very expensive handheld device or by laptop attached with a USB WiFi adapter, both rely on the 3rd party WiFi adapter antenna gain NOT by real client(iOS)’s own antenna gain, what’s more, this way is too “heavy” for a quick and easy RF survey.
If there is an RF coverage gap causing iOS device association fail, the App will sense it and will NOT record the failed roaming, from the report page, you will notice the gap and then notice the RF engineering team.
2. A reference testing tool for AP’s RF quality from the client’s own OS layer point of view.
This tool designed not only for administrator but also for regular users since it also supports ping(ICMP), with the most advanced options being supported, e.g fast ping, multicast and broadcast ping, ToS(type of service) or QoS(Quality Of Service), jumbo packet etc.
- Graphing roaming test result to easily find out the longest roaming time caused by not optmized Wi-Fi AP deployment
- The only Ping(ICMP) implementation on IOS that supports advanced ping options.
- min/avg/max RTT(round-trip time) output to compare test result of static and roaming scenario
- Supports setting of ToS(Type of Service) to simulate the Voice or Video traffic(roaming with high priority traffic)
- Supports fast ping to simulate file downloading sort of high speed traffic(roaming with high speed traffic)
- Supports multicast and broadcast ping(roaming with VLC multicast video or multicast video conference, the broadcast ping will find out the rest host within the same subnet)
- improves stability to avoid crash while there was no WiFi connection
- UI adapted for notch screen
- rebuilt to improve overall stability
Ratings and Reviews
The Graph is useless
Doesn’t graph live, only when completed. The graph only shows three data points. The only redeeming quality for this $10 ping tool is that it shows the BSSID on the screen alongside the ping responses. Does some math to show transition time in a text dump at the end of the run.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your feedback, actually the tool does more complicate design and calculation than your assumption and it does help customers a lot in a long period of time, e.g just review the customer comments from Germany and US, wish you have a good day :-)
Useful for checking AP deployment
This is very close to what I was looking for to verify connectivity and roaming through my Ubiquiti installation. The one change that I would like to see is to replace the running timer, which has no value to me, with the current RSSI. That’s what the iPhone uses to determine when to roam, and I’d like to monitor that along with BSSID and pinging. There’s another app that shows RSSI, ping, and BSSID on different tabs, so this is slightly more convenient, but is missing RSSI.
Quick and dirty
As a wireless engineer I’ve found this a great quick and dirty tool to have remote users give me stats. It’s not Cape, Ekahau, or Airmagnet, but it gives quick useful info!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Wei Zhao
- 4.4 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Wei Zhao
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.