MIDI sequencer and controller application for iPhone® and iPad®.
WiDI is a MIDI sequencer and a control surface in which you play sequences and create controls such as pads, knobs and faders to send MIDI events.
A sequence can hold as many tracks as you wish, and send notes to different MIDI channels. Sequences can play in sync or running freely, and you may group sequences together so they fire at the same time.
A control is bound to a MIDI channel and a specific Control Change number. You can either specify the CC number if you know it, or let the app learn it. Once placed on the surface, use this control to interact with your MIDI device. Alternatively, any CC event sent by your device will be shown live by the control(s) bound to this CC.
Pads are special controls: they can either produce CC Events or Notes. If bound to a CC, the pad acts as an on/off switch (you specify the values for each state.) If bound to a note, each tap produces the specified MIDI note. This is particularly useful to operate MIDI instruments without keyboards such as synthesizer modules or drum machines.
To exchange MIDI messages with your instruments or devices, the app can either use CoreMIDI or the WiDI protocol. If your MIDI interface (such as a lighting to DIN adapter) is natively supported by CoreMIDI, WiDI can make use of it directly.
CoreMIDI's Network Sessions are the right choice to interface WiDI over the air with any MIDI software such as sequencers running on your computer.
To use CoreMIDI, simply connect to a MIDI Network Session on your Mac or your PC. On a Mac, this is natively supported by macOS, so you do not need to install anything. On a PC running Windows, you might want to install rtpMIDI.
Alternatively, to directly interface WiDI with any MIDI instruments/devices connected to your Mac or PC, use the WiDI Desktop Application. It acts as a MIDI bridge between the network and your MIDI hardware. You can install the desktop application on as many computers as you want (it's free!). It's a very lightweight package that doesn't need to perform any installation procedure whatsoever.
To download the WiDI desktop application for macOS or Windows, go to : https://www.hypertide.com/widi/
○ Use any CoreMIDI-supported MIDI interface connected to your device
○ CoreMIDI network sessions : use WiDI as an external control surface for sequencers such as Logic Pro, Ableton Live, Cubase, ...
○ Control any MIDI device connected to your Mac or PC with the WiDI Desktop Application
○ Multiple iPhone and iPad can connect to your computer, allowing different control surfaces simultaneously
○ Integrated step sequencer to create sequences, each one holding as many tracks as needed
○ Sequences can run freely or in sync and start simultaneously if grouped together in fire groups
○ Auto discover MIDI CC : you don't need to know each one to add controls, WiDI learns CC numbers sent by your devices
○ Automate CC : sweep ranges or use the step modulator to design patterns to modulate controls values, supporting various advanced options like step-by-step or smooth variations, bouncing, repeating, changing speed
○ Add as many pads as you want to generate MIDI Notes or Control Changes
○ Flexible control surface : set layout and grid size for both portrait and landscape orientations
○ Re-arranging controls is as simple as drag & drop
○ Fully customizable user interface : themes, colors, display of values and labels, aspect ratios, grid spacing, grid coloring, background, ...
○ Integrated File Manager to load and save your surfaces, which are also accessible in the new iOS 11 Files app and your computer's iTunes connection
○ Share surfaces between devices with the integrated QR code generator and scanner
○ Or share them by sending directly JSON-formatted texts, so you may import them on any device you wish afterwards.
We'd love to hear from you! Should you be in need of support or eager to request a new feature, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have fun !
What's new in release 1.7.x :
• Multitouch ! It is now possible to interact with multiple controls simultaneously
• A long press on the control's settings icon is required to open the dialog box, to avoid unwanted openings while playing
• Controls' modulation play/stop button now reacts when touched rather than released for better reactivity
• New pad "Hold" mode : note is sustained as long as the pad is kept pressed
• New pad "latch" duration : first touch activates the pad, second touch deactivates it, thus allowing indefinite note duration
• MIDI Interface : added "None" and "First available" choices in the local MIDI interfaces menu in settings
• Changed MIDI interfaces descriptions for more clarity
• Currently selected Note/Event is now displayed in a different color in the sequencer
• New "quantize to beat" option for sequences, allowing beat-precision when placing notes and beat-rounded note duration while drawing or editing events in a sequence
Fixed issues :
• Fixed a crash when opening a playing sequence on phones
• Crash when adding a control with a linear modulation resolved
• Control automation not returning to "ready to play" fixed
• Pads reactivity is now optimal across all kind of iOS devices
• MIDI Interfaces can now be changed while local MIDI is active
• Corrected an issue with listing of available input MIDI interfaces
• Notes/Events position in the sequencer are now correctly displayed (counting bars, beats and ticks from 1 rather than 0, like us humans do)
• On the iPad, the transport bar and play/stop button in the sequencer now correctly reflect the current status of the sequence when opened
Ratings and Reviews
Super easy to configure and very stable. Looks great with many choices in layout and assigning CC values to controls could not be more obvious. It just works exactly as you’d expect it to. Nice App.
The V 1.7 update significantly improved the app! I gave it another try and it’s a keeper!
***This is a complete revision of my initial review****. I wanted to like this app from the very beginning and I finally can. It is good to see that the developer of the app is serious about improving it. The recent update addressed a lot of serious issues the app had. MIDI is more reliable now, controls, clarity of labels and overall responsiveness greatly improved. I think this app can be a useful tool now. I still wish the sequencer was bigger and allowed accurate creation of patterns quicker, hopefully one day...
Developer Response ,
Our answer to your edit:
Thank you for giving the latest release a try and your new feedback. We're glad to see that most of your concerns have been addressed.
The sequencer is indeed the focus in the next release. The new quantization option in the current version was a first step toward a more pattern-oriented sequencer. We are thinking of introducing a dedicated pattern/step sequencer next.
If you have some suggestions, please do not hesitate to let us know what they are and we might very well add those in 1.8 too !
It was ok but After updating to ipados app does not open.
Developer Response ,
The crash with iPadOS and iOS 13 has been resolved. Version 1.6 is now available and adds support for iPadOS and iOS 13 along with other improvements.
We're very sorry for the inconvenience.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 33.8 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Hypertide SAS
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.