Monitor and troubleshoot your Wi-Fi connection.
WiFi Signal is a system menu bar application that provides easy access to your Wi-Fi connection details (name, channel, transmit rate, signal strength, noise, etc.), monitors the signal quality of your wireless network, and can find and recommend alternative channels for your network thus avoiding signal overlapping and channel conflicts that can result in connectivity issues and performance degradation.
• Simple, straightforward user interface
• Fully customizable, multi-line status icon display options
• Annotations to easily identify between access points
• Detachable popover window
• Light and dark mode support
• Accurate dBm to percentage (%) conversion
• Real-time graphs for signal strength and noise level, Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR), transmit rate, or MCS index (if supported)
• Signal quality ratings based on SNR measurements
• Automatic channel recommendations
• Notifications and event logging for common events, such as when the computer joins to or disconnects from a network, moves to a different access point, or when data rate or channel configuration changes are detected
• Comprehensive app's help describes how to use the tool the most effective way
Requires a Mac with built-in Wi-Fi. External Wi-Fi adapters are not supported.
For a more comprehensive analysis of the Wi-Fi environment consider WiFi Explorer, also available in the Mac App Store.
• Adds support for bold text in the status display pattern by using ** around the desired text portion, e.g. "Ch **%C**"
• Fixes an issue where the position of the status item in the system bar could not be changed.
* Fixes an issue displaying a two-line status on older versions of macOS.
New in Version 4.3:
• Adds support for a two-line status display pattern.
• Adds support for vendor name (%V) in status display patterns.
• Adds support for WPA3 networks.
• Adds support for annotations.
• Adds ability to notify when transmit rate drops below a given threshold.
• Fixes issues when switching between light and dark system appearances.
• Fixes Spanish localization.
• Updates vendor database and improves vendor name resolution.
• Other minor changes and UI tweaks.
If you find WiFi Signal useful and have a couple of minutes, please share your thoughts by leaving a review in the Mac App Store. It will make a huge difference to us!
Found a problem or have a concern? Please visit the WiFi Signal Support website and send us a message so we can resolve it.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Absolutely indispensable utility
I've been using WiFi Signal (as well as its big brother, WiFi Explorer) for years, and always appreciate the insights it provides. From the detailed metrics it displays (far beyond anything the built-in menubar item provides), to the alerts when changing base stations (helping to diagnose network dead spots, or problematic connections), to simply giving insights into signal quality and SNR, this is a wondeful tool to have in your arsenal.
PLUS, the new customizable 2-line status display, and new method of annotating networks to help further clarify your connection ("Wait - is this BSSID the access point in the living room, or the one in the kitchen?"), and the version 4.3 update makes this tool even better … although I didn't previously think that was possible.
If you do anything WiFi on your Mac (and let's face it, who doesn't?) you owe it to yourself to download WiFi Signal.
Much more helpful than the stock macOS menu bar WiFi icon
Being able to see exactly which AP I am connected to is invaluable. To get good 5GHz coverage, I have 5 access points distributed throughout my house, connected to my router via Ethernet, with a common SSID. Adrian’s WiFi Explorer app lets me assign a label (aka Annotation) to each AP based on the AP’s BSSID, or MAC address. These labels are remembered and synced to WiFi Signal. So rather than giving me an obscure MAC address, WiFi Signal will tell me I am connected to e.g. “AP3 Back Room”.
It will also give you popup alerts when you roam from AP to AP, which gives you a good idea of your AP coverage.
Great app and fantastic support to boot! Thanks Adrian.
Clear display and easy to use
I use this every day to see if it is my location, lots of users on a channel, or a Comcast delay. Super easy to use. Menu bar app- click once to open; then click again to close. Accurate info about strength of the Wifi signal you are getting in real time, so you can move your desktop and laptop around to get the best signal. Also recommends better channels if you have a lot of neighbors using your channel. Been using it reliably for years. One of my best app purchases.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.