Accessing Wikipedia has never been faster and easier than with Wikipanion, designed for easy, search, navigation and display of Wikipedia entries. Streamline your browsing with history grouped by visit date, and bookmarking that not only bookmarks individual entries, but individual sections within an entry. Featuring intelligent features such as:
- Table of contents browser that knows where you are in the page
- Multiple search methods including Smart completion with entry preview, Google searching and a full text Wikipedia search
- Dual language searching and language switching (hiding languages you don't care about)
- Bookmark, including bookmarking individual sections of pages
- History, grouped by last visit date
- Full in-page searching
- Wiktionary dictionary term looking without leaving the current page
- Table based category browsing
- iCloud syncing
- Image saving to the Photo library
- Ogg vorbis audio playback for dictionary pronunciations and other audio content available on Wikipedia
- Contextual knowledge for sending links to specific sections in a Wikipedia entry
- Easily turn on automatic focusing of the search field on launch
Tip: To scroll to the top of a Wikipedia entry, hit the title bar at the top of the iPhone's screen (this works in Safari too).
Second tip: Click into the search bar to cancel a page load request.
See the Wikipanion web site for more details about all of the available features.
Wikipanion is advertisement free.
Fixes title bar display on iPhones with smaller screens.
Ratings and Reviews
An (Almost) Perfect App
I, like many other reviewers apparently, am a longtime fan of wikipanion. It would be fair to estimate that I’ve been using it everyday for nearly a decade. It’s fast, easy to use, no ads. My only request is a dark mode, this is the only app I use regularly that doesn’t have one. I briefly switched to the official Wikipedia app for that reason but found its navigation and UI lacking in comparison so I’m back. I’d happily pay for the pro version if it included a dark mode. Thanks so much for your work on this app!
Most used app all-time
I’m a person who reads at least 3 Wikipedia articles everyday, even if it’s just random things that come to my mind. I got an iPhone 3GS in 2009-my first smartphone- and Wikipanion was one of the first apps I downloaded. I can proudly say I’ve used this app daily for a decade now and still going!! This was the first Wikipedia app ever made for the App Store and I’d say is arguably the best. I’ve tried the others and even the official wiki app- I never made the switch from Wikipanion. Thank you so much Robert Chin for creating the first Wikipedia app on the App Store and for making Wikipedia on iPhone a smooth process. I’m not sure how much attention your app gets anymore ever since the official wiki app came out, but I really hope you see this review and realize that you created one of the better functioning and most essential applications to hit the App Store during its early years. And again, this app is still a daily use for me. Still functioning quite well.
Update 1: This app is so amazing! It is literally easier to use this app than wikipedia itself (and Wikipedia has one of the finest UIs out there)
By the way, I would not use this app half as much if it were not for its spectacular app logo -- it's design perfection makes it no less appealing than the forbidden fruit that just beckons you like a neighboring paradise to want to click on it!
Original: This app is wonderful! I was looking for a quick way to access Wiktionary, and until this app, I had to open chrome, go to wiktionary, then search. Now I can just 3D touch to search directly! From 3 steps to 1 ! And when it has to do with looking a word up, anything to help fight the troublesome burden of inertia is sweeter than the first sips of honey-laced port wine
Thanks for the app
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Robert Chin
- 7.5 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2009-2019 Robert Chin