Windy (also known as Windyty) is an extraordinary tool for weather forecast visualization. This fast, intuitive, detailed, and accurate weather app is trusted by professional pilots, paragliders, skydivers, kiters, surfers, boaters, fishermen, storm chasers, and weather geeks, as well as by governments, army staff and rescue teams.
Whether you are tracking a tropical storm or potential severe weather, planning a trip, pursuing your favorite outdoor sport, or you just need to know if it will rain this weekend, Windy provides you with the most up-to-date weather forecast around.
The uniqueness of Windy lies in the fact that it brings you better quality information than the other weather apps’ pro-features, while our product is absolutely free to use and ad-free as well.
Powerful, smooth, and fluid presentation makes weather forecasting a real pleasure!
ALL FORECAST MODELS SIMULTANEOUSLY
Windy brings you all the world's leading weather forecasting models: global ECMWF and GFS, plus local NEMS, AROME and ICON (for Europe) and NAM (for the USA).
It couldn’t be easier: Just compare all the available models at once and make better decisions!
+40 DIFFERENT WEATHER MAPS
From wind, rain, temperature, humidity, and pressure to swell or CAPE index, with Windy you will have all convenient weather maps right at your fingertips.
SATELLITE & DOPPLER RADAR
Global satellite composite is created from NOAA, EUMETSAT, and Himawari. The image frequency is 5-15 minutes based on area. Doppler radar covers large parts of Europe, America, Asia, and Australia.
Windy lets you display observed wind and temperature, forecasted weather, airports around the World, 1500+ paragliding spots or nearby webcams right on the map.
FEATURES AND DATA SOURCES
• All the leading weather forecast models: ECMWF, GFS by NOAA, NEMS, AROME, ICON, and NAM
• 16 altitude levels from surface to 13.5km/FL450
• Weather radar for many world locations
• 16 altitude levels from the surface to 13.5km/FL450
• Metric or imperial units
• Detailed weather forecast for any location (temperature, rain and snow accumulation, wind speed, wind gusts and wind direction)
• Detailed Airgram and Meteogram
• Meteogram: temperature and dew point, wind speed and wind gusts, pressure, precipitation, altitude cloud cover
• Altitude and Timezone info, Sunrise and Sunset time for any place
• Nearby weather stations – Real-time observed weather such as wind direction, wind speed, and reported temperature
• 50k+ Airports searchable by ICAO and IATA, including runway info, decoded & raw METARs, TAFs and NOTAMs
• Webcams for every location
...and many more
Subscribe to Windy Premium and get the most detailed forecast.
• Better forecast: Detailed 1-hour data
• Faster service: Served from 44 locations
• Full privacy: No ads or tracking
We offer following auto-renewing subscriptions through In-App Purchases:
• Windy Premium Annual Subscription from $2.99*
• Windy Premium Monthly Subscription from $18.99*
* These prices are for United States customers. Pricing in other countries may vary and actual charges may be converted to your local currency depending on the country of residence.
Subscriptions will automatically renew each month and be charged to your iTunes account within 24-hours of the end of the current period, unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. You can turn off auto-renew at any time from your iTunes account settings, but refunds will not be provided for any unused portion of the term.
GET IN TOUCH
Join us at community.windy.com to discuss weather-related topics, report a bug, or suggest a new feature.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
• Facebook: facebook.com/windyforecast
• Twitter: twitter.com/windyforecast
• Instagram: instagram.com/windy_forecast
- Weather forecast for Apple Watch
- New complications for Apple Watch
- Radar view for Apple Watch
- New WatchFace
Ratings and Reviews
Great on iPhone 8, issues dragging the map on the 11
I loved this app so much! Having lived in 2 locations that are frequented by hurricanes, Florida & Coastal North Carolina, this app is a MUST during hurricane season. I used it all the time on my iPhone 8 with no issues. But I just got the iPhone 11, and noticed one issue I never had on the iPhone 8. And seeing no other reviews describing this same issue (the iPhone 11 has only been out now for 4 days), I felt I should report it just in case others have the same issue, and so maybe a fix can occur. I have tried restarting my phone and reinstalling the app, but problem persists.
The issue happens when you try to drag the map to look at other locations. Instead of the animated map moving to reveal more of the map, it zooms in. Making it impossible to look at other locations, other than the default location. I was able to move it only a little but it was a battle getting it to respond at al and would still only do that while simultaneously zooming in.
If I am doing something wrong, please let me know! But I still say it’s been the best visual weather app out there! And I hope this problem goes away soon! I will change my rating to 5 stars if I can get it to work again.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback. We know about this issue and the reason is iOS 13. Right now we are still working on this problem. Everything should be correct on iOS 13.1. Please follow up this link https://community.windy.com/topic/9672/several-issues-with-upgrade-to-ios-13/3
Thank you for your patience. Barbora
The best weather app out there
I was a huge fan of Storm from WeatherUnderground and hadn't checked out the other options recently, but when The Weather Channel killed Storm and replaced it with a mediocre weather channel version I had a look at the other options and was very happy to find Windy. It's so much much better than the others, let me count (a few of) the ways: You can pick your forecast model! And then compare the different models to see where they differ! That to me is a game changer. The timeline along the bottom is so great to see how pressure and fronts will move - I feel like I've learned a lot just by using the app. The many layer options are great - set it for what you want to see and don't be distracted by what you don't. And of course the wind animation options make for a visually appealing interface. Seeing how the different altitude winds are moving and changing is so useful and interesting. I'd gladly pay money for this app, there are just so many great things to say about it. And if all you want is a sun, a cloud, or an umbrella for where you live that's there for you too. I was bummed when Storm was killed off but am so happy to have found this great app.
Was skeptical at first that this could depict weather changes so precisely, but found that it is mostly correct. I think a lot of it is due to the quirky geography of the mountains and lengthy valleys near the waterways that I commercial fish during the winter months. Windy seems to be very quickly incorporating these local weather phenomena into their depictions, so we’ll see how precise it becomes later on.
Just during the past week or so there have been many multiple changes in wind direction and intensity, and Windy has managed to plot all them out very well. A vast improvement over the NOAA text and audio based descriptions that also lack general time periods when the wind is going to switch and intensify. I do not own a large fishing boat that can brute force it’s way through anything over 30 knots, so I have to play by the rules the wind lays out for me. Windy has vastly improved my planning for weather headed my way.
Very surprised Windy is as good as others have said it is, and very happy with this free service. It is rapidly gaining popularity among the commercial fleet here in Alaska.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- User Content
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Windyty, SE
- 113.5 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2016 - 2021 Windyty, S.E.
- In-App Purchases
- Windy Premium $18.99
- Windy Premium $2.99
- Windy Premium $18.99
- Windy Premium $29.99
- Donate 3 EUR/USD a month $2.99
- Donate approx 5 EUR/USD $4.99
- Donate approx 10 EUR/USD $9.99
- Donate approx 20 EUR/USD $19.99
- Donate 6 EUR/USD a month $5.49
- Donate approx 50 EUR/USD $49.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.