WISER (Wireless Information System for Emergency Responders) is a mobile application designed to assist first responders in hazardous material incidents.
WISER: Information from Authoritative Sources
First responders in general, and HAZMAT units in particular, must make many decisions quickly in handling hazardous-materials incidents. They need accurate information about the hazardous substances, the emergency resources available, and the surrounding environmental conditions to save lives and minimize the impact on the environment and physical property. The WISER application extracts content from TOXNET's Hazardous Substances Data Bank (HSDB), an authoritative, peer-reviewed information resource maintained by the National Library of Medicine, and places that information into the hands of those who need it most.
Features of WISER
* Rapid access to the most important information about a hazardous substance by an intelligent synopsis engine and display called “Key Info”
* Intuitive, simple, logical user interface developed by working with experienced first responders
* Comprehensive decision support, including assistance in identification of an unknown substance and, once the substance is identified, guidance on immediate actions necessary to save lives and protect the environment
* GIS support provides for isolation/protective distance overlays on a map of the incident
* Access to NLM’s Hazardous Substances Data Bank (HSDB) and Chemical Hazards Emergency Medical Management (CHEMM) content, which contains a wealth of detailed, peer-reviewed information on hazardous substances
* Interactive chemical reactivity data, allowing WISER to predict hazards caused by a user prescribed mix of chemicals
* User Profiles enable users to specify the role they are currently playing at the scene of an incident: first responder, HAZMAT specialist, EMS specialist, hospital provider, or preparedness planner. The key information presented to the user about a substance varies depending on this role, so that the information most relevant to the respective job can be quickly accessed.
* Radiological and biological substance support.
* Tools and reference materials, including triage tools, radiological incident support, WMD response guidelines, and an electronic version of the ERG 2016
* Mobile support, providing first responders critical information where they need it, when they need it.
The application now provides details regarding each WISER release.
Detailed bibliographies are now available for much of the substance data within WISER.
Added many smaller updates and bug fixes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Tools for many roles
Great that the content view is customized to different responder roles, but you can easily switch roles to see what is available.
I’ve had to eliminate as the app does not function correctly due to categories overlapping thus making reading the content extremely challenging and too difficult utilize during incident response.
Crash’s when going to search mode since update
Developer Response ,
Please try WISER again. This bug was fixed in 2018 update!
- National Library of Medicine
- 110 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Frequent/Intense Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2010 National Library of Medicine
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.