WISER (Wireless Information System for Emergency Responders) is a mobile application designed to assist first responders in hazardous material incidents.
WISER: Information from Authoritative Sources
First responders in general, and HAZMAT units in particular, must make many decisions quickly in handling hazardous-materials incidents. They need accurate information about the hazardous substances, the emergency resources available, and the surrounding environmental conditions to save lives and minimize the impact on the environment and physical property. The WISER application extracts content from PubChem, an authoritative, peer-reviewed information resource maintained by the National Library of Medicine, and places that information into the hands of those who need it most.
Features of WISER
* Rapid access to the most important information about a hazardous substance by an intelligent synopsis engine and display called “Key Info”
* Intuitive, simple, logical user interface developed by working with experienced first responders
* Comprehensive decision support, including assistance in identification of an unknown substance and, once the substance is identified, guidance on immediate actions necessary to save lives and protect the environment
* GIS support provides for isolation/protective distance overlays on a map of the incident
* Access to NLM’s PubChem and Chemical Hazards Emergency Medical Management (CHEMM) content, which contains a wealth of detailed, peer-reviewed information on hazardous substances
* Interactive chemical reactivity data, allowing WISER to predict hazards caused by a user prescribed mix of chemicals
* User Profiles enable users to specify the role they are currently playing at the scene of an incident: first responder, HAZMAT specialist, EMS specialist, hospital provider, or preparedness planner. The key information presented to the user about a substance varies depending on this role, so that the information most relevant to the respective job can be quickly accessed.
* Radiological and biological substance support.
* Tools and reference materials, including triage tools, radiological incident support, WMD response guidelines, and an electronic version of the ERG 2016
* Mobile support, providing first responders critical information where they need it, when they need it.
Sharing and collaboration is now available
Added more than 60 new substances
Various improvements to WISER search functionality to make it more accurate and flexible
Protective distance improvements
PubChem data updates
Many small updates and improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Tools for many roles
Great that the content view is customized to different responder roles, but you can easily switch roles to see what is available.
I’ve had to eliminate as the app does not function correctly due to categories overlapping thus making reading the content extremely challenging and too difficult utilize during incident response.
Crash’s when going to search mode since update
Developer Response ,
Please try WISER again. This bug was fixed in 2018 update!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- National Library of Medicine
- 134.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Frequent/Intense Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2010 National Library of Medicine
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.