The Wolfram Words Reference App is more than just a dictionary! From synonyms and acronyms to information about words through history and tools for solving word puzzles, it includes easy access to everything you've ever wanted to know about English words.
- Find the common definition of a word as well as its pronunciation, first known use, origin, inflected forms, and general usage
- Find synonyms, acronyms, rhymes, and homophones
- Calculate popular word game scores and find possible words using your letters
- Compute word patterns given only a few letters or compute words that begin or end with certain letters
- Get historical crossword puzzle clues or enter specific letters to find word possibilities
- Perform document length and time conversions given a number of words, pages, or characters
- Convert a sentence into Morse code or Braille and look up Soundex codes
- Generate a QR code or barcode from a word or phrase
- Find notable uses of a word in a city, book, movie, and other names or explore a word's frequency throughout history
Our database is a work in progress, so check back to see if information about the word you entered is added.
The Wolfram Words Reference App is powered by the Wolfram|Alpha computational knowledge engine and is created by Wolfram Research, makers of Mathematica—the world's leading software system for mathematical research and education.
The Wolfram Words Reference App draws on the computational power of Wolfram|Alpha's supercomputers over a 3G, 4G, or Wi-Fi connection.
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
- Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Unnecessary and Incomplete
Everything here can be done through the full WolframAlpha app or the WolframAlpha web site. If you've already paid for the full app, no need to shell out the additional buck for this.
If you do buy it, prepare for disappointment. The words WA knows is a severely limited set. I attempted to use the Anagrams function to find anagrams of my name. It found none. The Internet Anagram Server finds almost 1400, and I could do a dozen just off the top of my head.
If you happen to hit the words WA knows, the information is interesting and in-depth. I recommend the full app. though. You'll get much better value for that price.
Stick with Wolfram Alpha - this app excels at nothing other than chipping away at your net worth and increasing your icon count by one.
I'm sorry, not impressed.
I usually like Wolf's products but this one is not very refined.
Search engine seems to not understand more often than what it should. Not an improvement over my regular dictionary.
I'd think that typing/pasting in the word once would be enough.
I'll keep it, now that I've bought it, in hopes that improvements are in the works. I'd love to give this app 5 stars.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Wolfram Group LLC
- 12.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2017, Wolfram Alpha, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.