• "Speak ‘N Spell for the iPad Generation" - The New York Times •
Word Wizard offers several unique reading and spelling activities for children ages four to 10:
• A talking Movable Alphabet that allows kids to experiment with phonics and word building thanks to the advanced text to speech engine.
• 3 spelling activities that increase in difficulty
• 184 built-in word lists (about 1800 words)
• Add your own words to create unique spelling quizzes
• Keep tabs on your children’s progress with detailed reports
• Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - Children's Technology Review
• Winner of a Parents’ Choice Award
• Featured by Apple as 'New and Noteworthy' , in ‘Apps For Learning to Write’ & 'Apps for Kids'
• Used in US Schools (100K units sold to schools)
• More than 280K units sold!
Talking Movable Alphabet Activity
• Pronounce and spell check any word, number or sentence
• Natural Sounding Voice - three American voices, one British voice, and one Australian voice
• Letter sound (phonic) or name when a letter is touched in the alphabet
• Alphabetic or Qwerty Keyboard
• 4 keyboards available: letters, numbers, consonant digraphs (like “th”) and vowels digraphs (like “oo”)
• Uppercase or lowercase letters
• Keyboard emulation option (dragging letters is optional)
• 4 letter sizes available (allowing for more or fewer letters on the board)
• Voice Transformer (speed and tone) for added fun
• Customized word pronunciation, if necessary
Fun Spelling Activities
3 spelling activities of increasing difficulty are provided to adapt the activity to the child’s spelling level. You can use the built-in word lists or create your own.
1 - "Word Practice" says and displays the word to spell, and asks the child to spell it using the talking movable alphabet
2 - "Scrambled Letters" says the word and displays the letters needed to build the word or sentence, and asks the child to reorder the letters.
3 - “Spelling Quizzes” is a standard spelling test. The app won’t move onto the next word until the child has correctly spelled the word, helping them to remember its correct spelling.
• 184 built-in word lists of 10 words: Words for beginners, Dolch Words, 1,000 most frequently used words, body parts and more
• Create custom Word Lists by entering your own words and sentences
• Import and export Word Lists you’ve created
• Hints are available should kids not know how to spell a word
• Colorful animations are displayed when a word is completed
• Once a quiz is completed, interactive animations are available as a reward
-- Users & Reports --
• Unlimited number of users
• Detailed Spelling Test Reports per user (can be exported in PDF)
• The New York Times
"This is an important breakthrough in reading instruction, because it leverages the iPad’s size, powerful speech synthesis abilities and touchscreen, so that every letter can be a building block of phonetically accurate sound"
• Children's Technology Review
Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - 4.8 stars out of 5 - "Turn your iPad into a talking alphabet/language generator - and the perfect tool for a child just starting to experiment with letters and their sounds"
• Wired's GeekDad
"This is a fantastic app for young children, right through to children in later elementary school which makes it an app worth having on your iPad."
• “I love the talking alphabet. (...) The app supports letter recognition, phonological awareness, spelling and self-correction without sacrificing fun. I will certainly recommend it to early educators.” Mary Ellin Logue, Ed.D, Associate Professor, Early Childhood Education, University of Maine
Please send any suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org. We listen to our users to improve our products.
• ClassKit support for schools
• Accessibility: 3 high contrast modes (red, yellow or green letters on a black background) for kids with vision impairments (available in Advanced Settings)
• Exceptions are now case-insensitive
As usual, please send us your feedback and suggestions so we can make the app even better (email@example.com). Thanks.
Ratings and Reviews
Boring for younger kids
It's a well thought out app but lacks playfulness and whimsy. My toddler (who is beginning to read and write) did two exercises and got bored after the dry "spell this, spell that" commands. Still it seems like a very promising app for older kids.
This company has two major apps that I absolutely love. Extremely well thought out. Are used them in my classes and for me it may be easy best way to help students understand the sound system and to truly spell. I cannot recommend this app highly enough for parents, teachers, anyone wants to learn the sound system and to really spell. I also command of the company on the beautiful accent. It is authentic.
A much needed program
I have been looking desperately for a program to teach my special needs granddaughter how to read. The movable letters help with identification and sounding out the letters. It is so much easier now to demonstrate word and sentence construction. The child sees in real time how we communicate with letters that magically make words.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.