FEATURES that make WordBook stand out from other dictionary apps:
- Professionally recorded pronunciation for every single entry
- Word origin information (Etymologies)
- Built-in spell checker with pop-up spelling suggestions
- User's bookmark and note management
- Unmatched sounds-like and wild card search and a powerful word puzzle solver
WordBook is a comprehensive, quick and intuitive dictionary and thesaurus of the English language. It's a great combination of comprehensive contents and fast intuitive interface.
* 150,000 entries with more than 220,000 definitions, 70,000 usage samples
* 23,000 root word origins (etymologies)
* 120,000 pronunciation guides in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) and other notations
* Spoken pronunciations (for all entries)
* Built-in thesaurus and word links connecting words semantically
* Unmatched index, wildcard, anagram search capabilities
* Bookmark (with user's notes) and history management
* Words of the Day: you get to learn new words daily, shake the device for new random words
* Browser-like definition content navigation, ability to tap on any word in the content to look up its definition
* Extending up to 5 web dictionaries to supplement built-in contents
* High resolution graphics for Retina display
* "Mobile dictionary and thesaurus at my fingertips. Lightning fast. The random words of the day are a terrific bonus" - Dane Cook, The Daily
* “the best in the [inexpensive dictionary] category... This wealth of information is indispensable to the student, and even fun to use” - Jeff Phillips, Macworld
* “One of 15 Best Apps for English Majors” - April Lentini, CollegeTimes.us
* “None measure up to WordBook” Score: 10/10 - Michael Alexander, AppCraver.com
* “WordBook leads the parade of free and low-cost dictionary options” - Ben Boychuk, MacWorld.com
* “WordBook dictionary - the standard for reference apps” Rating: 5/5 - Steven Yaccino, appolicious.com
- WordBook does not required an internet connection except to view web dictionaries or to play online pronunciation voices.
- WordBook includes entries of both American/British spellings. Definitions are written in American English.
- Supports iOS 11 and iPhone X
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
THE BEST DICTIONARY.
I have tried 5 or 6 dictionaries and WordBook consistently has applicable definitions. Recently, I tried a new Oxford English Dictionary to add a few British words and definitions but even they couldn’t compare. It seems like WordBook is constantly learning and adding new words. Rarely, will they be lacking a word, like a historical term, from the Victorian era. Or a current word like one used for texting or colloquially. But that is rarely, the norm is you type in a word and there’s a definition. There is a word of the day, bookmark and history and customizing in the settings. If you’re looking for a dictionary that has many more words and definitions than the rest, with a very wide variety to choose from, WordBook’s the one. It’s the best dictionary.
Excellent Value, Best in Class Performance
I am a professional writer. I have been using digital dictionaries for decades on various platforms. This app definitely ranks top in class. Feature rich, easy to use, and comprehensive in scope. I make use of the thesaurus, etymology, pronunciation, and web related services frequently. I have had no service issues with iOS updates over the years. I would gladly pay 2-3 times the modest purchase price for the long term value.
There is some problems
The app in my opinion is okay like I bought this app is a quick and easy app that I can look up words. But in my opinion it was not good enough for the price I have to pay. I am not going to comment saying it bad without proves. For one in some English words like “lead” there are two ways of saying it but this app provided one way. And sometimes when I look at how it define a certain words it’s hard for me to understand. Like the app is pretty easy to use I can give it credit for that but it need to improve to be better.
The developer, TranCreative Software, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- TranCreative Software
- 28.8 MB
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2017 TranCreative LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.