WordBuilder Intervention is a research-based, free application used to teach adolescent struggling readers how to break down, build, and spell multisyllabic words. WordBuilder Intervention is a truly unique and valuable instructional tool that teachers and parents will find effective for grades 6-12.
WordBuilder Intervention was created to be used by teachers during direct instruction. It is designed to be used within a small group, or for one-on-one instruction. Please watch the instructional videos on the WordBuilder Intervention website to learn more.
Save up to 50 student accounts on 1 device. Download for free today!
Developed by a team of experts
• Created by California State University, Northridge for the Literate Adolescents Intervention Project.
• Designed by digiCOACH, Inc.
• Produced under the California Adolescent Literacy Initiative at Napa County Office of Education in collaboration with the California Department of Education, Special Education Division through a State Personnel Development Grant (Award #H323A170011) from the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs.
Motivation embedded in the application
• Students earn coins for mastering multisyllabic words
• Challenging words allow older students to practice phonics skills at an appropriate level
• Many words are taken from the Academic Word List (AWL)
• Sentences in more advanced units excerpted from national newspapers
A year’s worth of practice in one application!
• 540 multisyllabic words and sentences
• A systematic scope and sequence
• Free instructional program with videos and “how to” tips available at www.wordbuilderapp.com.
Resolves a database issue that prevented new students from being created and student progress from being saved. Also resolves an issue with the coins spending ensuring students can spend their coins on the built-in reward incentives.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
WordBuillder Intervention is great!
I have just started using WordBuilder with my struggling readers and they love it. I enjoy working with students in the WordBuilder application, directing them to break down words and then build them back up again. The reward games are simple but fun and I appreciate that students have to earn enough coins to be able to play.
Great with one caveat
This is great, with just one big flaw- when you go to build a word with the consonants, vowels and digraphs etc... for some reason you CANNOT undo a mistake with those letter parts. So if you drag an extra letter into the white space and then realize it, you can’t fix it. The “undo” and “clear” options only apply to the handwriting portion (awesome, by the way). Perhaps it is a bug, just on my newer iPad?
Perfect for older students
This is perfect for students who want to improve their reading and spelling of multisyllabic words!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Napa County Office of Education
- 45.2 MB
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Napa County Office of Education
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.