Help your students build a rich vocabulary of essential words! World’s Worst Pet exposes students to over 1000 Tier Two words at 6 different levels through four engaging games. Aligned to the Common Core, this app provides student-friendly definitions, a playful narrative, a fun reward system and thought-provoking writing prompts!
World’s Worst Pet is part of i-Ready— an award-winning, blended learning program published by Curriculum Associates. Learn more about i-Ready at i-ready.com/empower.
World’s Worst Pet is structured to provide repeated exposures to a cluster of conceptually related target words.
• Teaches more than 1000 words across five grade levels, from grades 4 – 8 with content available for students who are working a level behind
• Student-friendly definitions provide clear explanations with rich examples that illustrate how each word is used.
• Engaging narrative and reward system keeps students motivated
• Activities include word context, word sort, synonyms, and antonyms.
• Students see the same word multiple times in a single set of activities.
• Includes Spanish cognates
• Includes immediate feedback
• Uses a real human voice not synthesized robotic speech
• Aligns with Common Core State Standards
• Writing prompts provide an opportunity to use words in types of writing identified by the Common Core
World’s Worst Pet leverages best practices from Reading research
• Targets Tier Two words, selected from research-based lists.
• Also targets domain-specific words, including science and social studies words.
• Teaches words in conceptually related clusters
• Provides clear student-friendly explanations
• Provides multiple exposures and repeated practice across a variety of contexts
• Helps students make multiple connections between words and their experiences.
• Explores word relationships, including synonyms and antonyms
• Includes Spanish cognates such as vehículo for vehicle or numeroso for numerous
• Includes writing prompts focused on the target words in each cluster
ALIGNED TO COMMON CORE
World’s Worst Pet develops concepts, skills, and strategies as targeted by the Common Core.
• “The importance of students acquiring a rich and varied vocabulary,” write the authors of the Common Core, “cannot be overstated.”
• Tier Two words are central to understanding complex text, and World’s Worst Pet provides multiple exposures and repeated practice in these words.
• Aligns with vocabulary standards in these sections of the Common Core State Standards:
o Reading Standards for Literature
o Reading Standards for Information Text
o Language Standards: Vocabulary Acquisition and Use
Have questions or feedback?
Monday – Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. EST
Friday 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. EST
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
iOS compatibility and fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Ok & not ok
Sometimes it is a great app! Sometimes it is a bad app. When I do the answer it says it is incorrect when it is correct. For example, when u argue with someone it does not mean you question them, it means you disagree with them or you are mad at them & you yell at them. It is also a great app! I like the pet part too, that is very creative. Overall great app!
Great For Educational Purposes
I Use This App At My School And It Works Great! Just Wish There Were More So Called 'Options'
This app is great it's such a educational app and fun great app amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Curriculum Associates, LLC
- 106.1 MB
- Requires iPadOS 5.1.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2014 Curriculum Associates
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.