XML Nanny is a Developer Tool that allows you to Validate XML and XHTML documents locally or over the web.
• Parse either local XML files or files on a web server using HTTP. In the "Source" text field specify either a local file path or an HTTP URL.
• Checks for XML Well-Formedness errors. Errors are reported in an attractive graphical list.
• Checks for XML Validation errors, with support for many popular Schema Validation types: DTD (internal or external), XML Schema (XSD), RELAX NG (XML syntax only), and Schematron. Validation errors are reported in an attractive graphical list.
• Schematron 1.5 Support. Validate XML documents against Schematron schemas with assertions, reports, pattern tests, and diagnostic information reported through the XML Nanny UI.
• Verbose Parsing mode provides more instance document/DTD details through the UI... kinda like a visual SAX parser.
• Each XML Nanny window is a Mac OS X "Document" which may be saved as a ".xmlnanny" file and reopened later. Set up an XML Nanny window with your parse settings and save them to disk for later use.
• Double-clicking errors in XML Nanny's results list UI opens the source document in your preferred Text Editor (this can be set in the Preferences Window). Some Text Editors (TextMate, BBEdit, TextWrangler) will even highlight the line in which the error occurs.
Mime-type and encoding values sent to XML Nanny from a web server via HTTP headers are now reported.
• XML Namespace setting allows you to parse with namespaces on or off.
• Full-Constraint Check setting for XSD parsing.
• XML Catalog support. In the main menu select "Window → Show XML Catalog Window". In the window that appears you can specify local custom DTDs via PUBLIC or SYSTEM identifiers. These DTDs will then override matching DTDs specified in XML documents in all subsequent Validation.
• All Parsing and Validation is done libxml2 except for Schematron, which is partially handled by the Schematron 1.5 XSLT reference implementation.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This app makes it easier to validate local XML files. It works well for the task it was designed for.
However, it is extremely slow for validating XHTML files. Part of this is because loading the XHTML DOCTYPE from the internet takes quite a long time, even if you try to go there yourself.
Overall I am pleased with this app, especially if someone wants to validate XML files that are not XHTML.
I might try downloading all the parts of the XHTML doctype to speed up the process - perhaps including the XHTML 1.0 DOCTYPE in the program would be a beneficial update?
Very helpful, did a better job than tidy! (Needs retina support)
I was having some problems geting some xml going in php with explode. I set up tidy on the server to see if that would help but it only resulted in xml being formatted differently and php was still dying on explode. Enter Nanny. I found the offending xml and threw it at Nanny and it told me exactly what was wrong. Now I know what needs to be stripped and can do so before explode.
My only request: Retina support.
Unfortunately, not as helpful as I imagined...
I had greater expectations for this app. I imagine I would be able to put the XML, the XSD, see where the validation didn't go well and be able to edit the file and fix it inside the software, but that's not possible.
The software will only validate and show me line numbers and mistakes then I have to correct it in an external editor and reparse the file. If you already have some IDE you'll probably have this functionality there (as I have in Visual Studio).
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.