Xynthesizr is a streamlined yet capable 32-step matrix sequencer/monotimbral synthesizer with generative features and MIDI.
"This really is a lot of fun and, hooked up to a synth like Thor or Z3TA+, there are plenty of creative options to be explored here." - John Walden, musicappblog.com
"Xynthesizr is about the only tone matrix app that can keep up with my short attention span. There are so many ways to shape, and constantly reshape, your sound... There's a lot to play with here!" - Tim Webb, discchord.com
"Overall, Xynthesizr is a very interesting instrument that is fun to play and lovely to look at." - Tom Flint, Sound on Sound
"Xynthesizr holds a lot of creative potential, and between a user friendly interface, a practical onboard synth, inspiring generative features, and solid MIDI implementation, this is a useful tool that can really benefit a wide range of iOS musicians." - Chip Boaz, iosmusicandyou.com
"...one of my absolute go-to apps" - Sean Garland, iosmars.com
Create patterns and modify them in real time, or let Xynthesizr do it for you using its morphing algorithms. Change scale and key, or transpose within a scale on-the-fly. Tweak parameters of the internal synthesizer or output MIDI to your favorite apps and devices. Record and share your creations.
◦ MIDI support for syncing and sending notes to synths, samplers and drum machines
◦ Notes to MIDI channel mapping for driving multiple apps or devices simultaneously
◦ MIDI input to control transposition with note messages and synthesizer/sequencer parameters with CC messages
◦ Ableton Link support
◦ Audiobus 3 support
◦ Inter-App Audio support
◦ 40+ bundled presets
◦ Save, export and import your own patterns and presets
◦ Record and export audio
◦ Gestures to easily edit patterns on-the-fly
◦ [Conway's Game of] Life-like cellular automata and probability-based pattern morphing
◦ Limit pattern morphing to a selected area of the grid
◦ Variable tempo, step length subdivision and pattern length
◦ Variable velocity per step
◦ Selectable keys and scales with ability to transpose in real time
◦ An option to tie consecutive notes of same pitch to make longer notes
◦ Shift and flip patterns
◦ Create and use your own scales and Life-like cellular automata rules
◦ Color-coded octaves
Synthesizer and FX feature:
◦ 32-bit floating point sound engine
◦ 16 voice polyphony
◦ 2 antialiased oscillators per voice
◦ 4 waveforms (sine, triangle, sawtooth, square)
◦ 4-pole (24 dB/oct) low-pass resonant filter
◦ 2 ADSR envelope generators (amplitude and filter cutoff frequency)
◦ 2 LFOs to modulate 4 selectable LFO targets (filter frequency, pitch, amplitude, second oscillator detune)
◦ Stereo delay, reverb and randomized panner
- Reworked Inter-App Audio sync
- Ableton Link Start Stop Sync support
- Updated Audiobus SDK to 3.0.5
- Fixed song and preset sorting order issue with iOS 11
- Reworked song, preset and recording export UI
- Updated UI for iPhone X, 10.5” and 12.9” iPads
- Other tweaks and bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Always a good addition to your synth library. If you need a step sequenced, try experimenting with this and make a beat. Hopefully it can add more steps to be a song sequencer.
Could be good for loops if you could get the steps past 19. Not even with a stylus. Hard to even get it back to 16. Change it to a slider. Not sure why there should be odd numbers anyway. Fun to play with you don’t try to adjust anything. Lowered to 2 stars because the manual I finally found is no help. Edit: found that if you go into settings and change Knobs to linear you can get all 32 steps. Raised stars to 4, but now the tempo is 119.8 and I can’t get it to 120.
I like it for working out ideas.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.