Ancient oracle meets modern device! Deal with life's challenges more meaningfully. Tap into your inner self. Find the translation that speaks to you. Ask questions, use the oracle, manage a journal, and browse multiple book translations.
* Specify a topic
* Enter a question or phrase
* Toss coins by shaking
* Or manipulate yarrow stalks
* Or toss dice
* Or use Stephen Karcher's Circle of Protectors
* Or navigate Michael Tingle's I Ching Mandala
* Or use the Quick option
* Or use manual input
Manage a journal...
* Multi-line questions & notes
* Sort by topic, hexagram or date
* Search by keyword
* Present, Changes and Future
* Add your own notes
* Switch translations for readings
* Mail journal entries
* Sync over iCloud
Browse the book...
* Multiple book translations
* Chinese with Pinyin phonetics
* King Wen Hexagram numbers
* Trigram descriptions
* Component Trigrams
* Ruling Lines
* Related Hexagrams
* A Library tab makes it easy to switch books
* "Yi Jing - Book of Transformations" by Brian Arnold, featuring artwork by Elizabeth Nelson
* "A Guide to the I Ching" by Carol K. Anthony (English and German)
* "Yi Jing / Book of Changes" by Gregory C. Richter
* "I Ching Oracle" by Nigel Richmond
* "Language of the Lines", English (Nigel Richmond)
* Original Chinese (two versions)
* "I Ging", German (Wilhelm)
* "Yi Jing", Japanese (Yo Fujiwara)
* "Yi Jing", in French, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Russian (Arnold)
More books for in-app purchase...
* "The I Ching or Book of Changes" (Book I, II and III) by Richard Wilhelm
* "The Laws of Change" by Jack Balkin
* "I Ching: Walking Your Path, Creating Your Future" by Hilary Barrett
* "The Complete I Ching" by Taoist Master Alfred Huang
* "I Ching: Navigating Change" by Stephen Karcher
* "The I Ching Workbook" by R.L. Wing
* "The I Ching: The Book To Turn To For Wisdom And Guidance" by Michael Hurn with Claire Hurn
Other key features...
* Straightforward and elegant interface
* Option to represent coin heads as Yang
* Option to cast coins using Yarrow stalk probabilities
* Portrait and landscape orientation
* Resources to access help and online I Ching resources
* Increased the default font size of all book content
* Improved keyboard support on the Journal item page
* Improved book content layout on large iPads
* Added the standard app review prompt
* Updated stale web links
* Fixed several book content typos
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Superb in every way
This is by far the best I Ching app available. I had their earlier version with the Richard Wilhelm translation. It too is a great app, but when that app gave me a note that I could import the Wilhelm book into the this newer app, I became curious. To my delight, I found that this new version imported the full Wilhelm book I had in the other app and came with a few other translations. When clicking on the library icon, it took me to the store to buy more translations, but a few of them were for free and just allowed me to install them. Now, I have 6 translations that came with the app, carrying over the Wilhelm made it 7. I could then not help but buy Alfred Huang's, texts as well as that is one of my favorite translations. My next will be to get Balkin's. I love this app. It allows you to be in the reading of a hexagram and switch to another translation. No more going through stacks of books. They are are right at the tip of the finger. If you are a purest and think that a computer app cannot deliver the same experience as tossing your own yarrow or coins, then you could still do that and then come to the app and use it like a book, or should I say like many books and note have to look anything up. It is all right there in front of you. Best thing to ever happen to the I Ching. Now, if only they had the Taoist I Ching by Cleary, I would be very happy as I often consult this as well during readings. Love this app!
Superb, Oustanding, Marvelous!
Technically this is the best designed app I have ever used. It is easy to use, has a clean attractive layout, and manages to include access to multiple facets meaning with each hexagram. With all of my heart I wish I could get this app designer to fix all the other apps I have down loaded. The design is perfect! I can switch between translations, read indicated lines, see future hexagrams, find the internal trigram images, or view a matrix of related hexagrams with a single touch.
A word about the translations. This version of the Yi Jing from flat earth studio has four good translations of the I Ching preloaded. The Wilhem-Baynes version which all other versions can only be compared to can be added for 4.99 or you can buy the other flat earth studio version of the app which only has the Wihelm?Baynes translation. If you have the money I recommend that you get this version and add the Wihelm translation to it. Sometimes the other versions add that extra bit of insight.
I have come to really appreciate this app. I am not an app person and I try not to spend much time on my phone, so the idea of taking a sacred book and putting it into an app as well as divination was not easy for me to appreciate at first. After my son was born, when he napped on me for long periods of time, I found it very difficult to hold a book and turn the page etc without waking him. This was the initial impulse to try this app out. Now I have many versions of the I Ching at my disposal ( my favorite is RW version) as well as the ability to throw coins even though I can’t move the rest of my body! Thanks to this app I can study the I Ching while my son dreams away. Let’s not forget that the tai chi Master Da Liu was interested in computerizing the I Ching and was one of the first to develop it in its first form way back when. I think Master Da Liu would love this app
In-App PurchasesSee All
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Flat Earth Studio LLC
- 146.2 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Brian Arnold
- In-App Purchases
- The I Ching: Book I (Wilhelm) $4.99
- The I Ching III: Commentaries $4.99
- The I Ching Workbook (RL Wing) $6.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.