Yomiwa is a modern offline Japanese dictionary, including numerous features to help you read and learn Japanese. Yomiwa's dictionary has been built up from diverse sources in order to provide you with the most complete Japanese dictionary app on the App Store. The powerful search function lets you input words in any kind of alphabet (Kanjis, Hiraganas, Katakanas, Romajis) and in any language. You can even input whole sentences.
Yomiwa also features powerful, fast and offline Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology. Yomiwa can recognize more than 4000 Japanese characters in your pictures or with your device camera. Japanese text is detected, recognized and parsed into words in a fraction of a second.
Yomiwa's OCR modes have been designed to help you read with ease all your favorite reading materials, such as mangas, newspapers, books or restaurant menus and signs.
Yomiwa also comes with a built-in Handwriting Recognition engine which recognizes Japanese characters from your touch-screen.
• Detailed information about words and kanjis (on-yomi, kun-yomi, meaning, stroke order, compounds etc.)
• Huge database of example sentences (> 250K) built from numerous sources
• Search definitions in any kind of alphabet: Kanjis / Hiraganas / Katakanas / Romajis.
• Bidirectional dictionary: you can search from both Japanese words or from foreign words
• Look up conjugated forms, even if they are incomplete
• Fast and accurate Handwriting Recognition
• Simple Radical search
• Many target languages available: English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Hungarian, Chinese, Dutch, Slovene, Swedish and more
• Browse the numerous kanji and word lists, order by JLPT levels, school grades and thema
• Build vocabulary lists of Japanese words, kanjis or sentences (which you can share as files or text in many ways)
• Listen to the Japanese pronunciation of words and example sentences through the "Speak" function
OFFLINE TRANSLATOR (Japanese to English, requires iOS 12):
• Yomiwa can now translate whole Japanese sentences to English
OPTICAL CHARACTER RECOGNITION (OCR):
• A powerful OCR engine which lets you recognize instantly Japanese characters in your pictures or from your camera
• Yomiwa can recognize more that 4000 Japanese characters
• Works for both horizontal and vertical Japanese text
• Paste some text, or import it from the OCR modes, into the Text Analyzer to get definitions of each word in the text
• Furiganas are displayed automatically
• Listen to the Japanese text with the "Speak" function
• Furiganas in Safari: whenever you are browsing on a web page with some Japanese text, tap the "share" button at the bottom and select "Yomiwa Add Furiganas" to display all furiganas
AUTOMATIC WORD LISTS FROM THE NEWS:
• Keywords appearing in the daily news are displayed in the app everyday. You can open the source news article and add Furiganas in order to read it with ease
• Get help from the user community by sharing pictures on the Yomiwa Wall
***Yomiwa is perfect for:***
• Using as your everyday Japanese dictionary
• Upgrading your reading skills to the next level by reading any Japanese text with Yomiwa's OCR technology
• Increasing your vocabulary by building your own word lists
• Learning and study Japanese Kanjis
We are very responsive to your feed-back and suggestions: email@example.com
• Bug fixes
• You can now export / share your history list (in the same way as any of your other lists)
Ratings and Reviews
Bad reviews are misguided
I’d like to preface this review by saying yomiwa is an excellent app for its intended purpose. I am a high school student and use the app for studying. the photo recognition works great and the app provides a lot of sample sentence to go along with the vocab which I find incredibly helpful. Again, The photo recognition works well focused in on a sheet of paper or on a wall, not outside on a street sign. If you don’t speak Japanese or read it and want to be able to get around, you’re better off with a travel dictionary or something. However as far as research purposes go this app works great and easily worth the money in exchange for the added convenience.
Essential for serious Japanese learners
This app does an amazing job of Kanji recognition, even for names!! It is essential for serious study - I am using it to read online newspapers and a paperback novel. My reading skill has greatly improved.
The way to use this app is to do a screen capture to your photo roll, or use Camera+ with image stabilization turned on, and then read in the photo. The live camera is too jittery. The ocr window generally needs to be adjusted to be narrower and the zoom increased somewhat in order to get the best accuracy.
The developer, Vivien, is extremely responsive to feedback and provides bug fixes.
Worked Well in Japan
I know Chinese, but am innocent of Japanese, so I downloaded this before heading to Japan for a two-week tour. It served splendidly. I nearly always found what I was looking for, and the available voiceovers supplemented with romaji in many compounds made it useful even though I never mastered kana. I was particularly pleased to find many geographical and historical names. If I ran the zoo, I’d increase the number of proper names and include romaji in head entries, but as it stands this is already worth far more than it costs.
- Nomad AI OU
- 204.7 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, Japanese, Portuguese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Nomad AI OU
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.