Your ultimate Japanese dictionary
Yomiwa is a dictionary, translator and optical recognizer designed to help you read, write and learn Japanese.
Yomiwa's powerful offline Optical Character Recognition (OCR) engine can recognize more than 4000 Japanese characters in your pictures or with your device camera. Yomiwa will help you read newspapers, books, menus, signs or your favorite mangas.
Yomiwa's dictionary is extensive, intuitive, fast, and delivers Japanese word details into more than 20 target languages. You can input words in any language, alphabet, or even by drawing.
Yomiwa helps you improve your Japanese with flashcards. Flashcards are a powerful and enjoyable way to learn new words. You can use flashcards to learn new words from the built-in lists or from your history. Then, based on your learning statistics, you will be shown everyday a deck of flashcards tailored for you.
Yomiwa features advanced Japanese text analysis. Paste or write some Japanese and the text analyser will break sentences into words, describe conjugate forms and display furiganas.
Unique social feature: whenever you have trouble with some Japanese, you can always ask a question or post a picture on the Yomiwa wall. Yomiwa's users, from beginner to advanced level, will come to help you.
• Detailed information about words (~ 200K entries) and kanji (on-yomi, kun-yomi, meaning, stroke order, compounds etc.)
• Huge database of example sentences (> 250K) built from numerous sources
• Search definitions in any kind of alphabet: Kanjis / Hiraganas / Katakanas / Romajis.
• Bidirectional dictionary: you can search from both Japanese words or from foreign words
• Look up conjugated forms, even if they are incomplete
• Pitch accents for more than 60k words
• Handwriting Recognition
• Intuitive Radical search
• More than 20 target languages available, such as English, French, German, Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Hungarian, Chinese, Dutch, Slovene, Swedish etc.
• For advanced learners and natives: an extensive Japanese-Japanese dictionary
• Build vocabulary lists of Japanese words, kanjis or sentences (which you can share as files or text in many ways)
• Browse the numerous pre-built kanji and word lists, order by JLPT levels, school grades and topics
• Listen to the Japanese pronunciation of words and example sentences through the "Speak" function
OPTICAL CHARACTER RECOGNITION (OCR):
• A powerful OCR engine which lets you recognize instantly Japanese characters in your pictures or from your camera
• Yomiwa can recognize more that 4000 Japanese characters
• Works for both horizontal and vertical Japanese text
• Translate whole Japanese sentences to English
STUDY WITH FLASHCARDS:
• You can learn words in a fun way with flashcards. Pick up any deck from the pre-built lists or from your own lists and history, then start learning them with flashcards
• Everyday, a new deck is built based on your learning statistics in order to optimise your memorising power
• Paste some text, or import it from the OCR modes, into the Text Analyzer
• Furiganas are displayed automatically
• Tap any word to see its definition in a pop-up
OPEN SAFARI WEB PAGES:
• In Safari, tap the export button to open the web page in Yomiwa. All Japanese words will be added furiganas and you will be able to tap on each of them to have a popup definition
FURIGANAS SAFARI EXTENSION:
• Whenever you are browsing on a web page with some Japanese text, tap the "share" button at the bottom and select "Yomiwa Add Furiganas" to display all furiganas
AUTOMATIC WORD LISTS FROM THE NEWS:
• Keywords appearing in the daily news are displayed in the app everyday. You can open the source news article and add Furiganas in order to read it with ease
• Get help from the user community by asking questions and sharing pictures on the Yomiwa Wall
We are very responsive to your feed-back and suggestions: email@example.com
• Bug fixes and stability improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
The camera tool's Godsent gift for visual novels and books
I'm thanking all the developers for making such an app like this especially the camera tool, it's a really saving time tool, I remember when I started learning Japanese in order to play my favorite visual novel games, I was wandering everywhere in the internet without any routine, just wanted sites and tools to help me with knowing the kanjis and words that I don't even know why I started in the first place looking up for, but in no time I got all exhausted from this unorganized routine actions, I realized that I was focusing more on the kanji meaning and words more than what I want to read and understand, and then again, in no time I got bored from these games because I literally didn't get the game mode neither what is happening in it, but when I started using this app is camera tool it made things much more easier and time saving with an organized routine, with all the kanjis and even the words meaning infront of my eyes in one tap, it gave me the leisure to read and understand what the games try to tell me
Bad reviews are misguided
I’d like to preface this review by saying yomiwa is an excellent app for its intended purpose. I am a high school student and use the app for studying. the photo recognition works great and the app provides a lot of sample sentence to go along with the vocab which I find incredibly helpful. Again, The photo recognition works well focused in on a sheet of paper or on a wall, not outside on a street sign. If you don’t speak Japanese or read it and want to be able to get around, you’re better off with a travel dictionary or something. However as far as research purposes go this app works great and easily worth the money in exchange for the added convenience.
Problems after update
Can’t open since the latest update. I have an iPhone XS for reference. Super disappointed as I’ve been using this app for years and have never had this problem. Would love for the developers to get in contact...thanks.
UPDATE: Changed review to 5 stars after deleting app and reinstalling, worked like a charm. If you have a problem opening after updating to the last war iOS, try reinstalling. This app is worth every penny. I like using it when I read manga and watch Netflix so I can jot down new vocab. So much faster an convenient than just using a regular dictionary 😭🙌🏾
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Nomad AI OU
- 188.6 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Nomad AI OU
- In-App Purchases
- Yomiwa Pro $11.99
- Outlier Essentials $29.99
- Outlier Expert $59.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.