Meet Aimée, your personal, artificially intelligent built-in assistant composer, she's ready to help you compose great music, adding her vast knowledge about music theory to your creativity.
You give her your melodies and decide how she should handle them. Aimée then finishes your composition, doing all the hard work that normally takes hours, but now is done in seconds. If you want she can also compose sonatas, scherzos and fugues in classical or jazz style based on your melodies or her own. Aimée can even compose a complete symphony based on her own melodies.
- 80 instruments are included with high quality sounds. You'll find all regular orchestral instruments, keyboards, organs, guitars, basses, chorus, percussion and more.
- With over 40 preset ensembles you can quickly setup YouCompose for ensembles like a saxophone quartet, string quartet or orchestra, woodwinds or brass sections and much more.
Creating and editing:
- You create melodies using the built-in virtual keyboard or a MIDI keyboard, by entering single notes in a grid editor, by importing a melody from a MIDI file or by asking Aimée to make one for you. Aimée will then harmonize these melodies in a classical or jazz style taking into account the instruments you selected.
- A composition can be edited in many ways. YouCompose allows you to copy, paste, move and delete movements, segments and individual notes.
- You can ask Aimée to compose a complete 3 or 4 movement classical or jazz symphony for your ensemble all by herself, or let her add a new movement to an existing one. She can do that based on her own melodies or on melodies you provide.
- You can control the way she harmonizes your melodies, by setting Harmonization Points and other options, or you can also leave that completely to her.
- If you wish you can even combine classical and jazz styles within one piece.
- Special tools allow you to enter lyrics, apply melodic transformations or create dynamic effects.
Sharing and saving:
- YouCompose is Audiobus, AudioCopy and Inter-App Audio compatible and supports background audio. This means that you can record its audio using Audiobus, GarageBand or any other Audiobus compatible or IAA host App. In Audiobus you will find remote triggers for reverb and output level adjustment. With AudioCopy you can copy audio from movements, parts, segments or fragments to any other AudioCopy compatible app.
- YouCompose is CoreMIDI compatible. This means that you can also utilize a MIDI keyboard, a MIDI sound module or synth apps running on your device together with YouCompose.
- You can export audio files directly to other apps on your device. Supported audio file formats are: MIDI, aac, m4a, aiff, caf and wav. A m4a file contains iTunes data like ‘artist’, ‘song name’ and ‘lyrics’. You can export audio from movements, parts, segments or fragments.
- You can view your composition’s full score and the individual parts (transposed when applicable), print them directly from YouCompose to an AirPrint compatible printer or export them to any PDF viewer like iBooks.
- YouCompose allows you to send and receive compositions from other devices running YouCompose via Dropbox, email or an AirDrop connection.
- You can share your composition with others by sending an email containing a YouCompose file, m4a audio files, MIDI files and/or a PDF document with the full score and the individual (transposed) parts.
- Several sample compositions containing well known melodies are also included in the package.
- Added metronome in Recording Settings.
- New option for MIDI file export: One track, type 0.
- Bug fixes: During playback it is now possible without YC stopping playback to change tempo within a segment.
- Some adjustments for the latest iOS (document viewing a.o.)
- Adjustments for newer iPhones.
Ratings and Reviews
Awesome Compositional Tool
I'm kind of a sucker for this sort of program/app, and usually I'm left disappointed when I continually take the plunge. However, with Youcompose that thankfully is not the case! This is perhaps the best app of its kind on many levels. First of all the work flow is logical in its layout and flexible also. And you can choose to direct the musical output in several ways, or if you're feeling a bit lazy and uninspired at any particular moment, you will be pleasantly surprised with what the harmonization tool will come up with. The MIDI feature also makes this app so useful, fun and productive. Although I'm not yet sure this has MIDI tempo sync? But for the price this app is the best I've encountered so far. It comes with some stock sounds that are rather weak but it doesn't matter as their only purpose is to allow you to hear the voicing and counterpoint as well. Lastly, it's a breeze to either push play and have it transmit MIDI to your DAW, or you can email the MiDI file to yourself. Oh, and it will even print out your song score! I think that's pretty darn cool if you ask me!
I love this app!!
After years of trying to understand composition technique - I have a more than patient source of examples and assistance in creating my own compositions. I have copies of this app on both my iPad and iPhone. I have tried many algorithmic composition tools over the years, YouCompose beats them all! It’s much easier to understand orchestral concepts like hocketing, I can just compose an example of a rich score to illustrate the concept based on my own melodies. The same is true of creating things for smaller jazz ensembles. Thank you.
It’s almost perfect.
Your Limited to copy and paste only one melody per track so there’s no mixing around different parts that you may like to use.
Extremely Difficult to stretch your notes to the desired length within the segment.
Unable to drag segments around wherever you want them.
It’s nice for generating short ideas but I wouldn’t use this to compose an entire song as it is currently.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.