Store your unique credential on a hardware-backed security key and take it wherever you go from mobile to desktop. No more storing sensitive secrets on your mobile phone, leaving your account vulnerable to takeovers. With the Yubico Authenticator you can raise the bar for security.
The Yubico Authenticator generates a one time code used to verify your identity as you’re logging into various services. No connectivity needed! This is based on Open Authentication (OATH) time-based TOTP and event-based HOTP one-time password codes.
Setting up the Yubico Authenticator desktop app is easy. Simply download and open the app, insert your YubiKey, and begin adding the accounts you wish to protect by using the QR code provided by each service.
Experience security the modern way with the Yubico Authenticator. Visit yubico.com to learn more about the YubiKey and security solutions for mobile.
Features on desktop include:
- Touch Authentication - Touch the YubiKey 5 Series security key to store your credential on the YubiKey
- Easy Setup - QR codes available from the services you wish to protect with strong authentication
- User Presence - New codes generated with just a touch of the YubiKey
- Compatible - Secure all the services currently compatible with other Authenticator apps
- Secure - Hardware-backed strong two-factor authentication with secret stored on the YubiKey, not on the desktop
- Versatile - Support for multiple work and personal accounts
- Portable - Get the same set of codes across our other Yubico Authenticator apps for desktops as well as for all leading mobile platforms
- Flexible - Support for time-based and counter-based code generation
- Compatibility update for ykman 4.0.
- Add additional product names.
Ratings and Reviews
Love Yubi keys but this app constantly hangs
Yubi keys for 2FA are amazing and I have been a long time user. This app, though, is constantly hanging and has to be force quit and restarted. When it doesn't hang, it fails to recognize the Yubi key until it has been restarted. Hope they update soon!
On an earlier version of the app, I used to leave my keys in the computer all day and had constant fast access to secure 2FA codes that I could easily paste into a website. It was way better than checking your phone and manually typing the codes.
Developer Response ,
Hi there, Apologies for the issues you're having with the app. Our technical support team would like to troubleshoot with you to see what the issue might be. Here's how to get in touch with them: https://support.yubico.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Works fine and it updates automatically
I'm a bit surprised by the other users, but it works fine for storing and retrieving MFA time based tokens.
The only concern I have is when there's big macOS version upgrades, but I always hold off on those, but changes in security and APIs can cause this to stop functioning until this app is updated, which is something to consider if you prefer security over features.
But again, works good! Thanks!
Hangs frequently, interferes with WebAuthn
I frequently have to remove and reinsert my YubiKey to get the app to read it. The app frequently hangs and has to be killed and restarted. I frequently have to close the app to be able to authenticate to a web site with WebAuthn because this app interferes with WebAuthn somehow. None of these problems occur with the Linux version.
NOTE: I have interacted previously with Yubico's technical support team about these issues. They were... not helpful.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for reaching out, and we apologize for the issue you're having with the app. Our technical support team would be happy to take a look to see what's going on. Here's how to get in touch with them: https://support.yubico.com/support/tickets/new
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Yubico Limited
- 44.5 MB
- Requires macOS 10.13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Yubico
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.