ZSL’s Instant Wild app empowers you to take part in vital conservation work, bringing you LIVE images and videos from amazing locations all around the world. By identifying the animals in each image, you are contributing to conservation and making a positive impact on the future for wildlife.
This is the next generation of Instant Wild, which mobilises people power to scale up important animal monitoring work, helping scientists to protect wildlife and secure a richer biodiversity for all!
What rare species will you find?
* View and identify images and video transmitted live from the field and contribute to conservation research wherever you are.
* Follow projects to support conservation work that you’re specifically interested in and curate your own feed on your home page.
* Gain badges, work towards being one of our daily Top Spotters and get shout outs for your hard work.
* See exactly how many animals – including endangered ones - you’ve spotted and save favourite images to your profile.
* Check out the leaderboards to see how you stack up against those leading the way in species identification both overall and for the rarest sightings.
* See latest news on Instant Wild and stay up to date with the latest conservation news from the Instant Wild team.
* Join our bustling Instant Wild community and discuss what’s been spotted in each photograph.
* Receive alerts to keep you updated on the latest from projects you follow.
* Share the most interesting images and videos on social media.
How it works:
Motion triggered cameras are a crucial tool for monitoring animal populations and movements, and this information allows us to develop methods for conserving them. As an animal moves past one of our Instant Wild cameras it will trigger, taking a photo which is immediately sent back to the app in real time for identification by you. Identifying thousands of images takes time but with your help we can identify even more species and help to protect them.
You don’t need any qualifications or special expertise to take part – lots of help is provided to make sure you make the right identification – simply sign up and start tagging the animals in the images.
Your involvement will not only contribute to conservation, making you part of our ZSL community, you’ll also get a window into the some of the world’s wildest places.
Instant Wild is a Zoological Society of London (ZSL) Initiative.
Founded in 1826, ZSL is a global conservation charity with a mission to conserve the planet's wildlife and their habitats. With two Zoos, a renowned Institute of Zoology and over 50 conservation projects worldwide, ZSL uses ground-breaking science to fuel life-changing conservation.
SciStarter citizen science platform integration directly from registration page
Removed broken Twitter login method as OpenID no longer supported
Ratings and Reviews
Sadly, this version is useless
Before this app was rewritten several years ago, it was the reason I bought a new phone. I played it every day and had thousands of animal IDs logged on the app.
After the upgrade I was unable to access any of my IDs and assumed that they just needed to work some bugs out.
It’s still completely unusable. Crashes, or returns to a long list of photos that will not allow the user to ID anything. If you scroll past there are more photos from other cameras, but clicking on them makes the app crash.
Really sad. This was my all time favorite app.
These folks have got a lot of work to do. This app is virtually worthless.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Zoological Society of London
- 26.3 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Zoological Society of London
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.