WINNER: Best Travel App in Africa (competition sponsored by Visa and South African Tourism).
Africa: Live helps you share real-time African animal sightings on your iPhone or iPad.
Our live game sightings map shows you what animals are near you right now and allows you to easily and immediately share your sightings with other safari-goers or anyone “watching” the map around the world, as well as for use in conservation research.
Africa is big, animals are relatively small and have got pretty good at hiding. Evolution has taken care of that. Our Africa: Live map shows you the most recent game sightings that have been reported in the last 24 hours by other safari-goers and professional guides via social media or added to the map directly. It helps you get the most out of your safari by increasing the chances of finding those animals you are most interested in. You can easily add your own sightings and photos directly and immediately to the map.
Within the app you can purchase detailed offline maps of the major parks in South Africa including: Kruger, Hluhluwe-Imfolozi, Pilanesberg, Addo, Kgalagadi, Madikwe, Marakele, Ndumo, Ithala and Gondwana. These maps include 10,000KMs of tar, dirt and 4X4 trails, footpaths, waterholes, hides, viewpoints, picnic spots, gates and other points of interest.
The app also includes, as an in-app purchase, extensive reference material including the Phone Ranger Safari Field Guide with more than 90mins audio-commentary from an expert ranger.
- The ONLY live map of Africa showing your location and the location of recent sightings.
- Clickable, colour-coded markers showing sighting details, descriptions and a photo.
- One-touch to add a sighting to the map yourself, including uploading your own photo. NOTE: because of poaching issues, RHINO SIGHTINGS WILL NOT APPEAR ON THE MAP.
- Detailed offline maps of major parks in South Africa (note: this is an in-app purchase and is not free).
- Search for sightings by how recent and which species.
- Live text stream of the most recent sightings.
- Extensive reference material, photos and interesting facts on the animals you’re likely to see on safari (note: this is an in-app purchase and is not free).
- Dynamic Q&A. If you're not sure what it is you're looking at, or what it is doing just ask us via the map and we'll answer (or if we can't, our Facebook friends will!).
- Safari tips, contact details and lots more useful information.
- Contribute to our citizen-scientist research database: we catalogue, analyse and will share sightings data with conservation bodies to support wildlife audits.
- A desktop version of the map can be viewed www.wildafricalive.com. However performance of the desktop version of this map will be highly limited on a mobile device.
- The map and live stream require phone network coverage to be updated, although sightings can now be recorded with no phone network using the offline maps. These will automatically be uploaded later.
Lots more and improved offline park maps (as In-App Purchases).
The app is a lot smaller to make it easier to download whilst roaming.
The Phone Ranger Safari Field Guide is available (as an In-App Purchase).
Major Bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
This app is absolutely great!! An extremely user friendly interface allows any user to master it with ease. The offline maps are an excellent addition to an already awesome app. As a nature lover I just love the way this app allows me to enjoy sightings from other nature lovers, even though I am not there. it also allows me to share my sightings with with other users in real time.
I am delighted that information which is posted on the app is used in the prevention of poaching, by allowing users to report suspicious activities. This information is passed on to the relevant authorities who can take immediate action.
Sightings of endangered species are also forwarded to the relevant nature conservation groups, like the Endangered Wildlife trust, who can use this information for their studies and conservation efforts.
An excellent app with endless applications. It certainly has my vote.
Was not sure whether I would like this. But really added to my safari experience. Not just seeing more animals but also the funny twitter feed and "chat". Good job.
This App is one of the best app's I ever had! It is so convenient...
The offline maps is wonderful and it works perfectly.
I would recommend this app to every nature lover!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- App Developer Studio Cc
- 32.1 MB
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 6.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2015 App Developer Studio
- In-App Purchases
- All major national parks (SA, excluding Table Mountain). R99.99
- Kruger National Park (SA) R32.99
- Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park (SA) R32.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.