With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you create Hollywood-style trailers and beautiful movies like never before. Browse your video library, share favourite moments, and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad, and finish them on a Mac.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organised in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customise movie studio logos, cast names and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s or later, GoPro and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs (1)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more lifelike action shots
• Import movies and trailers created using iMovie on iPhone or iPad to finish them on your Mac
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions, and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use colour controls
• Stabilise shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
• Send your project to Final Cut Pro and take advantage of advanced editing tools, professional effects, third-party plug-ins and more
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed in to iCloud
• Share directly to YouTube and Vimeo at up to 4K resolution
• Share any video frame as an image
Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
(1) 4K export requires a Mac from 2011 or later with at least 4GB of RAM. Full-resolution 4K playback is supported on iMac with Retina display and Mac Pro (2013 or later) when connected to a 4K display.
• Fixes an issue that prevented media from appearing in the Photos library browser when using iMovie on macOS Catalina
• Prevents an issue that could lead to visual artefacts appearing onscreen for systems with Nvidia graphic cards that have the Reduce Transparency accessibility preference enabled
• Resolves an issue in which thumbnails would not update when skimming titles, backgrounds and transitions in the Browser
• Improves overall stability
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Distribution options lacking
As someone who is not a pro but a little more than a beginner
I am struggling to get good value out of the end product. The features are amazing but I really miss a more streamlined export/ output process.
Currently, I mostly share videos via phone with people I know. The current options leave a very large file which I dont have space for on my phone and the costs of time and data for any of us to be able to play it from the server is impracticle.
Almost all videos shared in my circles are on chat programs and social media and imovie can't currently compete unless I convert this into the smallest size and quality available.
To be able to export/ convert my movies to some preset phone formatting options.
This would be set to deliver a phone friendly size file that has
a phone friendly resolution, color and quality mix
without compromising overall viewing experience
presented as choices skewed to various size or quality options
Also to be able to release it in portrait mode.
Almost Comparable With Final Cut Pro X
iMovie is obvioust just a ‘bare’ version of Final Cut Pro X, right? Yes, that it is. One thing that is unexpected is all the features you get with this. Compared to Windows Movie Maker, this is by far better. What I’m getting from other people’s reviews are some export issues. Never had those. One thing that doesn’t really make this perfect is the fact that you can’t export different aspect ratios.
Overall, I can’t say anything bad about this because it’s free, and also the fact it has nothing wrong with it. Obviously, if you’re running a Mac from 2004 like some of the people that have reviewed this, then it’s not gonna run so well. Get a new Mac.
iMovie has suddenyl stopped exporting my movies, it keeps saying “sharing failed”, no matter what I do. I even upgraded to High Sierra and reinstalled i movie, but it still says the same thing. ANyone else having these issues?
- Apple Distribution International
- 2.2 GB
macOS 10.14.6 or later
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 1999-2001, 2003-2019 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.