Did you know?
– Great White pelicans can live for up to 30 years in the wild.
– Flamingos are born grey-ish white and only turn pink because of the high volume of carotenoid pigments in the crustaceans that they eat.
– The Western Barn Owl swallows prey whole, then disgorges the prey’s hair and bones in a small pellet.
Learn these and other interesting facts about southern Africa’s majestic birdlife with the Sasol First Field Guide Common Birds app.
Quick and convenient, this app highlights the bird species you are most likely to spot in your neighbourhood, near wetlands, dams and rivers, or while out in the bush. The app is perfect for beginners, or someone visiting the region for a short while. It includes beautiful photos, videos, bird calls, maps and easy-to-read information about the species (including their conservation status).
The app includes 5 free species accounts. The remaining 41 species can be unlocked with a single in-app purchase. The size of the app is about 170 mb, as it includes all 46 species in the initial download.
• Easy to use, navigate and search
• Contains 46 species
• About 240 images
• Videos and bird calls included where available
• Available in Afrikaans as Sasol Vöels vir Beginners
-Minor bug fixes
-Optimised for iOS 9
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Perfect for beginners
A perfect intro app to birding. The calls and videos make this really worthwhile.
- App Developer Studio Cc
- 201 MB
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2014, Penguin Random House South Africa (Pty) Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Sasol First Field Guide Common Birds in-App Purchase R79.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.