Discover daily mindfulness and meditation with Sam Harris—neuroscientist, philosopher, and best-selling author—and explore the theory behind the practice. Daily guided meditation sessions, on-demand mindfulness lessons as well as a practice timer will build your understanding and help turn meditation into a new habit. For inquiring and curious minds, learn the related science, philosophy, and ethics in short audio lessons with Sam and through his extended conversations with other influential teachers and scholars.
3 reasons to download Waking Up:
- Real meditation practice: Go beyond mere stress reduction to make profound discoveries inside the laboratory of your own mind.
- Rational theory: Ground your meditation experience in practical wisdom and a rational understanding of the world.
- Fair Pricing: If you would like to use this app but truly cannot afford it, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can give you a free account. While we operate a business, we believe that money should never be the reason why someone can’t gain access to Waking Up.
DOWNLOAD WAKING UP AND ENJOY ALL THE FOLLOWING FEATURES:
- Guided meditation: Practice sessions for morning, day, or evening meditation. Suitable for beginners, intermediate and advanced meditators alike.
- Introductory Course: A progressive, introductory course that will teach you the basic principles of mindfulness meditation, along with more advanced practices.
- Daily meditations: After completing the Introductory Course, you will continue your practice with our growing catalog of daily meditations.
- Lessons: Listen to short talks on science, philosophy, and the nature of mind.
- Additional Conversations and Guided Conversations: With a wide range of teachers and scholars.
- Meditation timer and tracking to monitor progress.
- Support for Family Sharing. The primary account holder can add up to 5 family members.
- A guarantee of satisfaction. If you don’t find the app valuable, email us at email@example.com and we will give you a full refund.
Optimized to offer the best mobile experience:
- Integration with Apple Health app, adding Mindful Minutes in the Mindfulness category.
- Support for Dark Mode and for users with vision impairments, VoiceOver.
ABOUT SAM HARRIS
Sam Harris is the author of five New York Times best sellers, including Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion. His writing and public lectures cover a wide range of topics—neuroscience, meditation, moral philosophy, religion, rationality—but generally focus on how a growing understanding of ourselves and the world is changing our sense of how we should live. Sam has practiced meditation for over 30 years and has studied with many Tibetan, Indian, Burmese, and Western meditation teachers, both in the United States and abroad. He received a degree in philosophy from Stanford University and a Ph.D. in neuroscience from UCLA.
- Search: To help you discover or quickly recall content, we are excited to introduce our Search feature. From the main navigation bar, click the magnifying glass icon. In the search field, use pre-populated terms or search free-form. If you can’t find what you are looking for, our support team would love to hear from you.
- Numerous other small improvements.
Fair Pricing: As always, Waking Up is risk-free. If you don't find it valuable, we will give you a full refund. No questions asked. If you would like to use the app but truly cannot afford it, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can give you a free account. While we operate a business, we believe that money should never be the reason why someone can't gain access to Waking Up.
Ratings and Reviews
I could cry at how much Sam Harris and this app has changed my life
I first discovered Sam Harris through his podcast, Making Sense, which is still my favorite podcast of all time. And I remember when he announced he’d be coming out with this app and at first, I didn’t use it. I was already using Headspace for over a year and didn’t feel the need. Then I tried it once and felt this immediate click, this light: “This is the kind of practice I’ve been looking for.” I’ve been using Waking Up ever since. I remember trying the first-offered longer introductory course and after each session, I swear I said “whoa.” Not because I felt like I was in another state, but I felt closer to “myself” and others, bit by bit, each session. I felt less insecure, less anxious, less angry, less anticipatory, less critical, bit by bit, each session. And this continues to be true. Sam, I wish I could look you in the eyes and tell you this in person: This app and your podcast have made me a better person. My interactions feel lighter. I am less self critical. I am less reactive. I am a better critical thinker. Your work pushes those who listen over and through the walls we put up, the walls created by childhood, by fear, by habit, by politics, by culture. I don’t know how to thank you and don’t think I ever will. I will end with this: This app is for everyone. Even if this way of thinking and practicing is totally new to you, try it. Just try it. Give it a shot. You won’t regret it.
Low experience user review
Sam, this is great. I’ve done maybe a few dozen hours of pure meditation over all. Ranging from 5 minute sessions to upwards of 2 hours at a time. I’ve read probably more than the average amount of material on meditation in general with no specific method at the forefront and the way you explain the experience and how to get there is identical to the lane I found best as I was figuring it out on my own. You’ve both reassured my current understanding of at least the begging stages of meditation and it’s always comforting to hear that we’re not trying to stop our thoughts more so recognize them and experiences them while not losing track of ourselves. I have some thoughts and questions on the breath being the forefront of meditation but ultimately have my doubts that it’s the perfect tool that most practicing meditators use. I think we can do better and I have to assume you take us there in this corse because if I have to spend one more second concentrating on my breath I’m going to phyciclyy implode. Again, thank you.
Just a special note: I’ve followed your career and your work over the years, I’ve read your books, and listen to your podcast religiously. I can’t help but consider you a friend in spirit. And I’d like to offer my thanks to you for being a source of reason in the times of my life that I could find none face to face. You’ve helped me tremendously...just in case you needed reminding that you are helping people.
Thank you! This is not a meditation App.
We live in despondent times, or so it seems. In these times more than any, there is an tendency to look inwards and when this inward seeking is constantly interrupted by our small self, which assures us there is no there-there and to get on with your life. A lot of my forays in to this enquiry had this character, leaving me more jaded for the effort.
Many have wondered and tried to come up with a way of illuminating this path. There seems to me a fundamental problem with using traditional communication, for what it communicated is not for the conceptual mind. Hence when we grasp these ideas through this small mind, there is just exasperation. The aim of true teaching is to awaken the teacher in each one of us. Plant a seed of curiosity in one’ mind and be there to help guide with the subsequent unraveling. If someone suggested this can be achieved with a digital medium in the form of a smart phone app, literally everyone in the world will find it silly. Sam Harris thankfully is not one of them and for that I Thank him(I wish there is a way to express the amplitude behind that Thanks, but my grasp of English is sadly inadequate).
My hope for writing this review is to see it can help to make this tool available for few or at least one other explorer, who has the character of not willing to surrender his/her intellect, but still willing to explore the idea of non-dualism which rings true to him/her.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Waking Up Course, LLC
- 104.8 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 11.2 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.2 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.2 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Waking Up LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Subscription $14.99
- Premium Subscription $99.99
- Waking Up Yearly Subscription $99.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.