What’s the difference between “in time” and “on time”? What do you call a person who cuts a man’s hair? What do you call an animal doctor?
Beat the clock and answer as many spelling, vocabulary and grammar questions as you can in this 60-second quiz!
Johnny Grammar’s Word Challenge is a quiz for English learners to test common vocabulary, spelling and grammar that appear in everyday English.
- 3 difficulty levels – Easy, Medium, Hard
- 3 categories – Words, Grammar, Spelling
- 10 topics that include Food & Restaurants, Travel, Idioms and Hobbies.
- Earn badges as you progress and share your score with others on the leaderboard!
- Compete with others on a global leaderboard
- Feedback is given for the wrong answers so that you know why they’re wrong.
Find even more exciting language activities at
PERSONAL DATA AND PRIVACY
LEARN ENGLISH WITH THE BRITISH COUNCIL
Learn English in our classrooms with the world’s English experts. We’ve been teaching English for more than 75 years and have helped more than 100 million people in 100 different countries improve their English skills and build their confidence. Visit www.britishcouncil.org/english to find out more information.
ABOUT THE BRITISH COUNCIL’S ENGLISH LEARNING APPS
The British Council creates top English learning apps for learners of all ages. You can download our apps to practise grammar, vocabulary and listening. Visit our website to see all our apps www.britishcouncil.org/mobilelearning.
- We added Apple account log-in. (Note: If you log in using your Apple account, you will be creating a new account, so any previously existing badges and leaderboard scores will not be present in this new account.)
- We've fixed a few things behind the scenes to make the app work better.
Did you know that we send out a fun language quiz every weekend? To receive these, go to Settings > Notifications on your device, scroll down to "Johnny G" and then allow notifications. Happy learning! :)
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Best app ever I definitely recommend this to any of you guys who need help with grammar. I have nothing to complain about, it is a perfect app. Furthermore I have nothing to change about it. It was also very fun! It helped me improve my grammar a bit, even though I know most of the things. So I DEFINITELY recommend it!!!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your review and comments. We are very glad to know you are enjoying this app! :)
BEST OF THE BEST
It’s a perfect app for learning grammars and new words
But I have a problem with the today’s quiz, it’s just appear on the phone screen I can’t find it in the app sometimes I forget and delete the notification and I lose the quiz
Developer Response ,
Hi Baraa1185 - that is a really good point! Currently these weekend quizzes are just extra little challenges for people who receive push notifications and don't link directly to the content in the app. So maybe take a screenshot if it is something you would like to remember. Thank you for reaching out to us.
I’ve always loved grammar and become disturbed when I hear television news reporters misuse grammar. This app allows me to challenge myself by taking the quizzes in the various categories. I highly recommend. It’s both fun and educational.
- British Council
- 113.2 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Japanese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © British Council
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.