The Official LEE Filters Diffusion Comparator enables lighting designers to directly compare different diffusions lighting a model. As the video plays simply tap to switch the diffusion in real time.
It's a great way to select the perfect diffusion for your next project.
The comparator is built from video clips of a real world lighting setup using a single M8 source and each and every diffusion in the LEE range. By switching between them you'll immediately see how each moulds the shadow in subtle but distinct ways. You'll also notice any colour balance changes.
• Switch diffusions in real time as the video plays
• Pause to compare similar frames, for instance a long shot or profile view
• A commentary track by DOP Don McVey is also available
The app includes various design refinements so you can get the most from this tool:
• This is a universal app designed for both iPhone and iPad
• On either device switch between portrait and landscape views and retract or expand the menu to get the best possible view
• Collapse the diffusion list so you can quickly jump between any filters
It's a great tool to learn more about lighting with diffusion and for creative experimentation before getting on set.
Ratings and Reviews
Great for new DPs and G&E
This app shows you the difference between diffusions seamlessly and easily. Really helps wrap your head around the subtle differences. I just really want one for the colored gels. Would be a little more difficult, but would be great for explaining and seeing the differences to stubborn producers that don't see the need to buy specific gels.
Lacks Ethnic Skin tone Examples
While this is a really useful app and very clever use of motion video to show real-world lighting effects, I REALLY REALLY wish the developers could think a bit more about diversity in tools like this.
For example, having an option to select different complexion / ethnic model subjects would be IMMENSELY helpful to a lot of us.
Great idea! Video playback is so smooth and the app is very fast. Would love to see more apps like this comparing other things.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.