Transform your iPad into smart digital paper. Take handwritten notes in digital notebooks, on imported PDF, PowerPoint, and Word documents, or on images and photos. All notes are searchable and you'll never have to worry about losing or misplacing them again. GoodNotes is one of the top paid iPad apps worldwide and is frequently featured on the App Store, making it a must-have for your iPad.
WRITE NATURALLY - LIKE ON REAL PAPER
* Fluent, precise, and completely natural writing experience thanks to GoodNotes pioneering vector ink engine
* Write with the Apple Pencil, Logitech Crayon, or with many capacitive styluses and even your finger
* Select and customize your pen color, thickness, and style (fountain pen, ballpoint, brush pen)
* Easily switch between pen, highlighter, and eraser
ALWAYS FIND WHAT YOU WROTE
* Everything is indexed: Search your handwritten notes, typed text, PDF text, document outlines, folder titles, and document titles
* Convert your handwriting to text to share it with other apps or add it to the page as a text box to continue typing with your keyboard
NEVER LOSE YOUR NOTES AGAIN
* All your notes with you at all times thanks to iCloud Sync
VIEW DOCUMENTS SIDE BY SIDE (requires iPadOS)
* open GoodNotes in multiple windows to view two documents or two pages side by side
* use tabs to quickly switch between open documents
ESCAPE THE LIMITS OF ANALOG PAPER
* Move, resize, and rotate your handwriting or change colors
* Draw perfect shapes and lines with the Shapes Tool
* unlimited undo & redo including gesture control for faster corrections
* powerful & smart eraser tool: Choose to erase the entire stroke or only parts of it. Set it to "Erase Highlighter Only" to leave the ink intact
* Pinch to zoom and write more precisely
* Navigate through imported PDFs with existing hyperlinks
CUSTOMIZE YOUR NOTEBOOKS
* Choose from a large set of beautiful covers and paper templates: Essentials, writing paper, Cornell paper, dark paper, checklists, planners, and more
* Import any PDF or image as a custom template for more customization
* import PDF, PowerPoint, Word, images, photos and more to annotate them right on your iPad
* export documents and share them with others for a fully digital workflow
* scan your paper documents and recognize the text
EFFORTLESS DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT
* Organize your documents in folders and create unlimited subfolders
* Mark your most important documents, pages, and folders as Favorites to access them quickly
* Create custom outlines for easier navigation through your documents
CONVERT YOUR IPAD INTO A DISTRACTION-FREE DIGITAL WHITEBOARD
* Keep your audience focused on what's important: Presentation mode lets you hide all distractions on an external screen when you connect your device via HDMI or AirPlay
* Use all of GoodNotes' tools, including the Laser Pointer on the iPad, while your audience only sees the page and the content
* GoodNotes empowers you to give more engaging presentations, lectures, and lessons. You can move around freely and interact with the audience while adding new information to the digital whiteboard for everyone to see
Visit our website at goodnotes.com for more information, or follow us on Twitter and Instagram as @goodnotesapp.
This update adds full compatibility for iPadOS and iOS 13, including support for multiple windows, dark mode, OCR document scanning and undo/redo gestures.
For tips, tricks and more information about the new features, visit goodnotes.com/ipad-os.
### Introducing multiple windows in GoodNotes (requires iPadOS) ###
You can now open GoodNotes in multiple windows to view two documents side by side, view two pages of the same document in Split View, or pair it with other apps in spaces across your entire iPad. To open a new window, drag any of the elements listed below to the side of your screen:
- the app icon from the dock
- documents from the library
- folders from the library
- individual pages from the document thumbnail view
- tabs from the tab-bar
You can also use the buttons in the library action menu or from the tab-bar to open a new window.
If you're using presentation mode, we highly recommend you to check out the tips we shared on goodnotes.com/ipad-os to learn more about how you can leverage your presentations with multiple windows.
### OCR document scanning (requires iOS 13/iPadOS)###
Tap the + button in the library or in the document navigation bar to open your device's camera and use it to scan paper documents. GoodNotes recognizes printed text in all Latin-based languages, making it searchable.
### iPadOS system gestures for undo/redo & multi-select ###
- Swipe left with three fingers to undo the last edit, and right to redo the last edit.
- Place two fingers in the library view or thumbnail view and then start swiping to select multiple items quickly
### Dark Mode & new paper templates (requires iOS 13/iPadOS)###
Activating Dark Mode in the control center will give GoodNotes a cool new look that is easier on the eyes. We also introduced a new set of dark paper templates to GoodNotes that you can choose from the template library when creating a new notebook, adding pages to existing documents, or changing the paper template of the current page. Existing background colors of pages won't change automatically because the color is static.
Ratings and Reviews
Best App Out There for Writing & Drawing with Apple Pencil ESPECIALLY
I downloaded several different apps that were free for note taking and or drawing in notebooks, etc. After not being satisfied with any of them, I decided to pay for this one. It is so worth the price! You can easily organize notes and notebooks while customizing them for whatever you need! The Apple Pencil works flawlessly as if you are using real pen and paper. I use the 1st Edition Apple Pencil with my 2019 iPad. One of the best things about this app is the fact that you can set it so that it does not capture anything from your hand or palm resting on the screen and allows you to still use your fingers to zoom, scroll through, and navigate the app all while still connected to the Apple Pencil. Also, it can literally READ and SEARCH your own handwriting so you can find where you left a certain note on a page. I have found that it this feature is very accurate! You can also customize your notebook covers, create outlines for easy navigation throughout a notebook, and you can create folders to organize each notebook even further. My only suggestion to the developers is to make it easier to get different templates for pages/covers and also allow those pages to have more background colors than just yellow or white.
Please bring these features back!
This app really does move forward in the right direction, but I was so disappointed to see that the palm rest feature and the ability to name the bookmarks are gone. I rely on these features heavily because I use this GoodNotes as my sole note taking app.
I’ve also noticed that the app will often turn pages blank if you delete some pages in an upload. When I upload PDFs or power-points, I can’t delete any of those pages without running the risk of them turning into blanks. The same occurs with pictures. I can no longer drag and drop in pictures, because they will disappear completely. The only way to avoid this is by saving the photos I’ve selected in my camera roll. Only, then do the images stay. There is a glitch when deleting pages. After about 20 or so pages, the app scrolls away from the current location and will not return to its former place. This is a bit frustrating when deleting multiple pages.
There is also a difference in lagging between the newest iPad version released in November 2018 and the version released much earlier in the year. I found it much harder to work on my 12.9 than my 10.5.
The upgrades are amazing and I would like to see a voice recording function. A drag and select feature for deleting or exporting, or the ability to be able to delete/export by page numbers like you would for printing from a computer. These would be cool, but I’d MUCH rather have these problems fixed before adding new features.
Very good app...so close to being GREAT
I previously used notability for all my notes in school and got very tired of how my notes looked...never very professional. I thought I would give GoodNotes a try and so far I enjoy note taking much more. I have more control of the colors I use, my notes look much cleaner, and the way my notes are organized is more natural for me.
However, the two things I would recommend for this app to be near flawless would be incorporating a way to view my notes on my Mac and when using my iPad have multiple files be split screen. While using GoodNotes on my iPad I can only have one note open at a time, which get annoying if I need to annotate a pdf while also take notes about the reading at the same time. I constantly have to transfer the file back and forth to other apps. If there was a way to have a two-page view setting or let multiple notes share the screen that would awesome. Since there is no split screen option, I would like to see my notes on my Mac so I don’t have to keep going back and forth, but there is no way to open the app on a Mac. I have to separately send everything out as a pdf document that doesn’t have updates to my notes in real time.
Overall great app, but I think if the developers incorporate these minor adjustments it will take the app to another level in terms of function and organization!
- Time Base Technology Limited
- 379 MB
Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2018 Time Base Technology Limited
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.