Password: Spectre 4+
Designed for iPad
- Offers In-App Purchases
Meet Spectre, your tiny pocket ghost password calculator. Spectre won't save your passwords or send them off to the cloud, instead it'll generate the password you want to see, just when you need it, from thin air.
Are you troubled by poor passwords in the night?
Do you experience feelings of dread in your home office?
Let Spectre float along with you, this friendly ghost will never:
- Save your passwords on your phone - so losing your phone or having it confiscated doesn't compromise you.
- Upload your passwords to the cloud - so your passwords aren't at risk of getting leaked, mishandled or lost.
- Be unavailable - your very own Spectre can rise from the dead, just by reinstalling the app or borrowing a friend's device in incognito mode.
Spectre isn't just adorable, it's also a math genius. It embodies the spirit of a multi-layered cryptographic algorithm, securely deriving every password you need purely from the combination of your name, your personal Spectre secret (don't tell!), and the domain name of the site you're logging into.
As sure as π × ø, your passwords are now always available and immortal. But only ever through you.
“Is this even safe?”
Spectre's algorithm has been used to protect both personal and corporate assets for over 10 years. A cryptographic algorithm combines authenticated hashing and key derivation to ward off known and unknown attack vectors.
“Can anyone find my passwords?”
Your personal Spectre secret is the proof of your identity. Nobody can ever find your passwords: they simply don’t exist without it.
“Can I trust you?”
Trust is everything, it’s also a highly personal decision that only you can make.
Spectre is the product of 10 years of development by Maarten Billemont, a Belgian-Canadian mobile security software engineer.
Every measure has been taken to minimize our access and your need for trust:
- Spectre doesn’t keep your passwords on the device, or anywhere else.
- Spectre never sends your information anywhere.
- Spectre does not keep *any* customer information, at all.
- Spectre is fully open-source, can and has been scrutinized in every detail.
We invite you to tick this checklist against any other password products.
Our sole objective is to revolutionize passwords and digital identity, by finally putting you back in the driver seat.
PASSWORDS DONE DIFFERENTLY
When passwords are just math,
‣ they can *never* be lost,
‣ they are always strong and unique,
‣ they are available to you, from anywhere, even offline or from a borrowed device,
‣ they cannot be confiscated, locked-out or lost,
‣ they will never be leaked from the cloud, or copied from your device.
PRIVACY IS EVERYTHING
Spectre is how you put yourself back in the driver-seat of your own digital identity:
‣ don’t send out any information on yourself,
‣ don’t make someone else the key master of every online account you own,
‣ stop answering invasive security questions with highly personal information,
‣ put an end to reused or related account passwords.
EQUALITY IS FREEDOM FOR ALL
We have a very strong moral centre and leave no one behind:
‣ Spectre will always be available to all, for free.
‣ Spectre is fully open source and licensed Free Software.
‣ Spectre’s algorithm is public domain & available for inspection.
‣ We hold privacy and user consent as primary.
‣ We use technology to guard you from regulatory overreach.
- Address a rare crash under iOS 16.
- Resolve a potential deadlock when merging in an already-existing user export.
Ratings and Reviews
App Closes after I put in password
So I’ve been using this app for a few years now. Was very pleased until recently. I’m using the on device only version. In other words I don’t let it connect to the internet. On my IPad Pro, when I type in the password and hit enter the app just closes. I need access to my passwords. I’m dead in the water! Also when it was working, sometimes I would type in my password and the loading icon would just spin. I would have to close and try again. PLEASE HELP! _____________________________________ Review Update: Great developer! Solved problem. Been using the app from the beginning. They keep updating it and making it better all the time. I highly recommend this app.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the review World Peas! Login names can still be added to the site. If you reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org I’d be happy to show you how.
Great app. Mac?
I’ve been using it’s predecessor, master password, for years, and also love this new update. Don’t mind the subscription as long as it stays up to date! Is there any way we can also get this app for mac? I really enjoyed having master password integrated into my Mac, and am hoping we can get something similar for Spectre. Thanks
A marvelous accomplishment!
If you have been wondering how to find a secure password system free of lockboxes and similar tech which act as an open invitation to be cracked or broken, then check out Spectre!
Developer Response ,
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Maarten Billemont
- 50.2 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2011, Maarten Billemont
- In-App Purchases
- Premium: Monthly $3.99
- Premium: Annual $40.99
- Premium: Master Password $40.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.