Darkroom is a premium photo & video editor that is easy to use by casual photographers, yet powerful enough for the pros.
** Winner of Apple Design Award in 2020 **
** Best of the App Store 2015 **
Available as a Universal app on iPhone, iPad, and macOS Big Sur with deep integration into all of the latest features.
UNIVERSAL & FREE PHOTO EDITOR
All the tools you need to bring your photos to life are Live Photos, RAW images, and Portrait images offered for free, available on iPhone, iPad, and Mac!
VIDEO EDITOR (Darkroom+ Subscription)
Ridiculously fast and simple realtime color grading. All our filters and editing tools are video-compatible, including batch processing.
CURVES & SELECTIVE COLOR TOOLS (Darkroom+ Subscription)
This is the heart and soul of Darkroom: The most usable Curves and Selective Color tools on iOS. A dance of functionality, simplicity, and power.
PORTRAIT BLUR EDITING
Edit the foreground and background of your Portrait photos separately. Customize the blur in your Portrait photos, or the Brightness, Contrast, and Saturation of your foreground / background separately.
Edit RAW photos at their full resolution and the recover the full range of details in the shadows and highlights.
FULL ALBUM MANAGEMENT
Our complete suite of album management tools allow you to organize your library extremely quickly. Every action in Darkroom applies to your iCloud Photo Library!
CREATE YOUR OWN FILTERS
The same tools that professional photographs use to create filters. Edit any of the built-in or premium filters to suit them to your needs, or create your own from scratch.
All your photos are instantly available. Darkroom does not have an import step.
Apply edits and filters to many photos at once. Favorite/Delete/Hide many images with a single tap.
HASHTAG MANAGER & SIRI SHORTCUTS
Create sets of hashtags that you can export with one-tap from anywhere: Home screen, Today widget, Export sheet, and more. Create your own Siri Shortcuts to copy all your favorite hashtags from any app.
MEMBERSHIP TRIAL AND SUBSCRIPTION TERMS
Your Darkroom+ membership will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You can go to your Settings > iTunes & App Store > Apple ID > Subscriptions to manage your membership and turn auto-renew off. Your iTunes Account will be charged when the purchase is confirmed.
Read more about our terms and conditions here:
We've rebuilt the Grain slider from the ground up to reduce memory usage, improve speed and aesthetic as well as make it look closer to film grain.
- The image will now appear to be made up of grain rather than the grain being applied over the top as an overlay. This is particularly evident in bright areas.
- Adding grain to videos no longer affects the playback frame rate.
- Fixed a memory related crash when exporting large images with grain.
- Fixed grain in the Photos extension being too big.
- Eliminated artifacts and repetitive patterns within the grain.
- Improved grain for video by making it smaller.
### Crop & Transform
- Fixed unresponsive perspective transform sliders on iPad when using a trackpad.
- Fixed the crop center handle from disappearing when zooming in.
- Improved crop using aspect ratio crop by now always fitting width/height from the center.
- Fixed the transform on a depth map preview of a portrait depth photo not being applied.
- Fixed crop history entries being overwritten when reverting a photo and selecting old edits.
- Fixed unnecessary history entries created when entering the crop tool showing.
- Fixed the wrong crop cursor size showing for some corners on macOS.
- Fixed a memory issue that caused tools to use more memory than needed.
- Fixed a memory related crash which could occur when exporting portrait photos.
- Fixed a memory related crash which could occur when exporting multiple videos.
- Fixed a memory related crash which could occur when exporting RAW photos.
- Fixed a memory related crash which could occur merging albums.
- Improved the image cache for portrait photos.
- Improved the loading indicators when viewing a photo to now make an explicit difference between loading data locally from storage, and downloading data from iCloud.
- Improved the interaction with the home indicator when the tools are open while editing.
- Improved export by ensuring a saved copy is always added to the same album as the original.
- Added a prompt to replace edits if existing local edits are different from remote edits.
- Fixed an issue that could cause filter thumbnails not to load.
- Fixed an issue which could show an incorrect rejected count.
- Fixed an issue where the app would get stuck in Limited Photo Library Access state on macOS.
- Fixed some the Limited Photo Library Access controls overlapping with the home button.
- Fixed the frame background color not animating when switching colors.
- Improved the toolbar Flag & Reject arrow and Transform tap target being too close.
- Improved the feedback option to contact us to work more reliably.
Ratings and Reviews
You don’t need lots of time or pro skills to make the most of this ultra-fast, super-intuitive photo editor. Darkroom can access your whole photo library at once, letting you immediately start cropping, adjusting curves and using preset filters or creating your own—until your pics are exactly how you want them.
Great features but unstable
Although there are no selective editing brushes, Darkroom is probably the only editor with this many editing tools that allows you to batch edit on mobile. The only thing that’s missing is some stability. It always crashes on my 5th gen iPad mini. The only things I would improve is the stability of app itself, the grain feature, because the grain gets wayyy to gritty, and a noise reduction feature. Honestly I think noise reduction would be more important than a selective brush. I could use Darkoom for event photo editing, where I barely finding myself using the selective brush, but then that leaves out a trusty noise reduction feature so I feel like it really limits my options when it comes to picking a project to edit with this app. I would still rather stick to doing the majority of my editing with Lightroom. This app came very close to opening up my workflow but that one feature of noise reduction missing is a deal breaker for me.
Developer Response ,
We have been long at work resolving this issue and hope to ship the fix for it soon.
Screenshots are pictures too
If I could add one advanced feature it would be spot-selected white balance, but I'm content with the controls for the most part. If I could add one basic feature that really shouldn't be an issue, though, it'd be to import screenshots. Why the hell are screenshots excluded? I have this near-perfect photo editor and can't edit 1/4 of my photos. I know screenshots aren't ideal for printing but they're good for testing crops and testing edits of photos, the latter I can't do without making copies of photos thanks to this app's strange limitation. Yes I can test edits on a single image but I would have to note and undo every edit to try the next. It just seems so much more inefficient than simply allowing screenshots to be edited.
Edit: added one star. It's good that screenshots aren't completely excluded, but I still wish they appeared in albums like normal photos do. In an attempt to declutter, per developer's response, I feel like they've actually created more clutter in making screenshots harder to navigate and cause needless frustration by making them disappear from albums they're in. If you want to declutter the normal camera roll, that's fine, but favorites and other albums should be left alone.
Developer Response ,
Screenshots are there, we just hide theme to declutter. In the Album selector, pick the Screenshots Smart Album and browse and edit to your hearts content.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Bergen Co.
- 22.4 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Bergen Co.
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Subscription $4.99
- Legacy - Unlock Everything $9.99
- Yearly Subscription $24.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.