This award-winning app is the one to get if you are passionate about your child learning to read, and your child is aged between 4 and 6, or older but needs some extra help with reading.
It teaches phonics and handwriting (including joined up). It has a first set of storybooks for them to read, written specifically for children learning to read using the app.
Your child will prefer our books to paper books, because they help them read - if they get stuck, they tap a word to get help sounding it out. You will prefer our books, because the quizzes check they can read the words and understand them.
The books get progressively harder, but kids don’t realise because they are getting better at reading all the time.
Our apps are used in hundreds of American elementary schools. One of only nine education apps awarded the top A+ rating by Balefire Labs.
The app is aligned with the Common Core State Standards. Children master these skills:
* writing letters
* recognising 72 letter sounds (e.g. ‘ch’ are the letters that make the initial sound in ‘chat’)
* blending letter sounds together to make words (e.g ‘ch-a-t’)
* hearing a word and selecting its written form (e.g. the app says, “chat”, the child has to select ‘chat’ from a group of words - some of which are similar to chat)
How it works
* 7-day free trial with no commitment and full access
* The £1.49 monthly and £14.99 annual subscription unlock access to all books and phonics levels for an unlimited number of children
* Once subscribed, your subscription auto-renews each month or annually. However, you can easily turn auto renew off via the Settings app
* Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase
* Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
* Cannot cancel current subscription during its subscription period
* Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable
Minor bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Needs a part 2
We love it. But we have finished it now ready for a part 2 or higher level. Do you have anything like that?
Developer Response ,
Not at the moment. I would love to do it though.
Written instructions for people who can’t read
The app relies on displaying written instructions like “When I say a sound, tap the letter”. These instructions aren’t said out loud. But the whole point of the app is the user is learning to read. When you can’t read it is confusing and surreal for the iPad to just start hissing at you. My 3 year old had no idea he was supposed to push the ‘s’ button when that happened
Developer Response ,
Hi, there are spoken instructions in the app like you suggest. It's possible that these have been turned off in the player settings. Or, (and this is something that has happened before), the sound is going to a some bluetooth headphones and thus you are not hearing it from the iPad. If you get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org, I'll be able to help.
Great program for helping kids read!
My five-year old son loves reading with this program. Fun and appropriate graphics and sound effects. We started when he was four. Be warned, though, that we always sat next to him to use this as a reading aid, *not* as a reading teacher. It works great when you get tired of reading the same word over and over to your child. The app never loses its patience! And more than the weekly emailed progress reports, watching your child read things all around him (like cereal boxes) makes it all the more rewarding. Give it a try! And make sure you set "Guided access" on (search for that in your Settings panel for your iPad) so your child doesn't end up in Angry Birds when he should be reading!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apps in My Pocket Ltd
- 803.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Apps in My Pocket Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly subscription $1.99
- Free upgrade for PocketPhonics users
- Lifetime $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.